Blood on pillow and I collapsed

Hi,

23 days post op, I woke in the night to find my self quite vigorously rubbing my head against my pillow (not scratching as I'm putting my hands through my belt on my shorts while I sleep to prevent scratching).

There were lots of grafts on my pillow as well as blood. The blood on the pillow was lower down than the grafts, and there wasn't any blood with the grafts. I rushed to the bathroom to check with a mirror and I could only find a little blood on my donor, none from my recipient. So it seems the rubbing against the pillow must've been pretty hard to make my donor bleed and in the process a lot of hair also came out from the recipient (but no blood). I was was checking this, something really freaky happened, I collapsed and blacked out for a few seconds. This didn't cause any bang or bleeding to my head.

So I had a pretty bad night. I'm wondering if anyone could help me with a few concerns;

1) could the hard rubbing that caused the hairs to come out and the donor to bleed damage those hairs that came out? Are those grafts lost? Like I said, there was not blood with the hairs and it is just hair, no skin attached to them. I've tried taking a photo to capture the blood and the hair but the photo doesn't really show the extent of the hair loss, there are hundreds, although they all look like 'healthy ' shedded hair to me. It's just scary to see so many.

2) could the process of fainting somehow damage the remaining grafts? I'm kind of clueless but I guess fainting/collapsing is a rush of blood to the head and I've read blood rushing can damage the growth of grafts.

Thanks for your help.

image.jpg.e02af8b0beecbf317ea8d34d2e9bcb74.jpg

I don't think that the collapsing has anything to do with your HT, it's just because you got up quickly and rushed to the bathroom. I remember a year ago or so I had been for a run and was sitting down in the living room some 30 mins later, my wife asked me to open the curtains so I got up quickly kneeled on the arm of the sofa to open them and before I could open them I felt very dizzy and fell back, luckily I was on the sofa and just landed on the sofa, so didn't get hurt.

My blood pressure is perfect by the way and I'm am very fit.

1. Blood at 23 days from recipient/donor is very, very uncommon. Are you sure you hadn't other injuries(even some tiny ones), or some acne pimples that could be broken and bleed?

Because it's quite uncommon for a donor area extraction spot to bleed at this time, but it is not impossible, i think.

2. Dude, how could a faint damage grafts because of blood rush, i don't want to insult you ,but you're way way too paranoid and you have irrational and absurd worries...try to think logically.

Blood rush to the scalp may be bad only the first 1-2 days, because the pressure can make the grafts "pop out", after that they are fixed, and blood rush cannot harm them at all, in fact blood circulation is very good after, because the tiny vessles in the grafts must "connect" to the surrounding blood supply.

So please please please stop unnecessary worries. At 23 days the grafts are very secure, you cannot damage them even if you wanted.

I don't get how you people could scratch your head or rub it against the pillow while sleeping, but there is a solution:

419y0X6jIvL._SX342_.jpg

I used this after HT, it is very good, it keeps your head fixed, while being comfortable at the same time, and it prevents any rubbing to the pillow/turning on one side. But it is no point for you to use it now, at 3 weeks post-op.

It's not irrational and absurd, most people get quite worried about the safety of their grafts post op, they have invested a lot of time and money and donor in this and it's very normal to worry about little things like this, and question every single thing.

JGF,

The bleeding could be from residual scabbing from the extraction sites. That is what it sounds like to me.

Normally, the donor area would be healed by now but I suppose the size of the punches could have been larger than .50 mm and it also depends how quickly each individual heals.

You could have "unknowingly" scratched the donor area during your sleep and dislodged some scabbing. Do you have any scabs still remaining in your donor zone? The blood stain on your pillow appears to be toward the lower area of your scalp and not where the recipient zone is located.

If the hair shafts that came out do not have any crusts attached to them then you might just be experiencing some shock loss because this is the point in time when shock loss normally occurs (three weeks). In other words, I don't think the hair is from the grafts, but more from your native hair. You might also be going through a shed cycle.

And I agree that you did not damage your grafts. Just try and not worry about it and see if you can get your mind on other things like walking or some other form of cardio exercise. No weightlifting.

Wish you the best on your recent procedure.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

The hairs you found might be due to normal post-op shedding and unrelated to the blood. Although if you were scratching a lot then this might have caused them to shed a little early as well as cause the bleeding from the donor area. I don't think you have any need to worry about how your result will turn out.

I am a patient and representative of Dr Rahal.

My FUE Procedure With Dr Rahal - Awesome Hairline Result

I can be contacted for advice: matt@rahalhairline.com

Cheers Matt

Can I just confirm then, what do you all think, if for arguments sake the hair was from my recipient, and shedded slightly early due to intense rubbing on my pillow, could this early/forced shedding cause damage to the underlying grafts? Like I said, the hairs had no blood or skin attached to them, they looked clean and had the familiar hook shape or slightly bent part at the end of the hair, just like the ones I find normally when showering.

It's not irrational and absurd, most people get quite worried about the safety of their grafts post op, they have invested a lot of time and money and donor in this and it's very normal to worry about little things like this, and question every single thing.

I agree , but that's the case only in the "critical" period which ends at aprox 10 days post-op.

At 23 days post-op, to worry that much about the grafts, yes, it's not rational, in my opinion.

The first ht is very scary and from my experienced point of view it is fine to worry about it until you actually see growth, and after in a lot of cases. All people are different and worry differently, just the fact that people get hair transplants in the first place shows that they are worriers as most balding people don't get hair transplants.

You won't of caused damage to the grafts at 23 days post op, they would need to be surgically removed at this point.

Did you pass out when you saw blood? Anxiety, panic disorder and stress can stimulate the vagus nerve in some people and lead to a loss of consciousness.

Your fainting is the result of loss of blood to the brain, not a rush of blood, btw.

I'm serious.  Just look at my face.

My Hair Regimen: Lather, Rinse, Repeat.

Your grafts should be fine as any shedding whether by rubbing on the pillow or from the procedure itself will not hurt your grafts...;)

Gillenator

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Thanks again :)

That I passed out, I think was totally coincidental. Despite the message you may take from this thread I don't suffer from anxiety. Obviously I can't be certain, but without a medical opinion I'm pretty sure it was just coincidence, besides the blood lost was so minute.

Thanks again :)

That I passed out, I think was totally coincidental. Despite the message you may take from this thread I don't suffer from anxiety. Obviously I can't be certain, but without a medical opinion I'm pretty sure it was just coincidence, besides the blood lost was so minute.

I think you're going to be just fine and happy growth to you!

Gillenator