is nizoral 2% by prescription only and worth it?

Hi, is Nizoral sold on Amazon 1% whereas is Nizoral sold by prescription 2%? Are there other products with a higher % of the active ingredient that are better than Nizoral? Or is Nizoral considered the best? Is 2% Nizoral worth the cost and hassle over 1% Nizoral?

Yes, 2% is only available by prescription. I've only ever used the 1% even though I've heard that it's not nearly as effective for hair loss.

As far as I'm aware, there is no product that contains more that 1% without a prescription and many other over-the-counter products that contain ketoconazole contain less that 1%.

David - Former Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant

I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my Hair Loss Website

"I've only ever used the 1% even though I've heard that it's not nearly as effective for hair loss"

Based on this info sounds like I should try to get a prescription for 2%. Can anyone else provide any input on this assertion?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I've used both 2% and 1%. Didn't notice much difference between them. In fact, I sort of liked the texture of 1% a little better.

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group