smoking and fue

nitzz

Hey guys,

I am into my fifth week of 4000 fue procedure my healing was pretty fine not much of discomfort in recepiant or donor area shock loss appeared in 2nd week which i think is subsidised substantialy now,

My query is im a smoker and was unable to quit it pre or post procedure will it effect the yeild, in my view healing was not hampered much, is there anyone who smoked and underwent ht , plz share results with me

Thxxx iam attaching pics 5 days post op, three week post op and four weeks post op

DSC_0728.jpg.119246676484862559b9bbde64ab3ebc.jpg

DSC_0561.jpg.d01c75d956cc2c8e8ce23fe124a3bb90.jpg

DSC_0778.jpg.23a7b3cc11f7611f1bc8322aba72b362.jpg

Correct me if im wrong but i dont think theres any clinicly proven results that says smoking can afffect your hair follicles. I havent seen any cases anyway.

But,

It doesnt take a wise guy to know that smoking can have a affect on blood flow in any part of your body.

The best thing about FUE is that smoke will filter through all the extraction holes...like a colander, similar the broccoli steaming on your cooker.

If you smoke, the best thing you can do is drink steadily. Alcohol opens up those capilieries that the smoke shrinks.

The best solution is to drink smokey whiskey - that teat kinda thing.

As you sip, console yourself that you didn't do strip - the wound is deeper and more horrible.

• Haha 2

I don't know if smoking will cause your hair transplant to fail but I do know (clinically) that Chemotherapy will.

• Haha 1

I'm serious.  Just look at my face.

My Hair Regimen: Lather, Rinse, Repeat.

The best thing about FUE is that smoke will filter through all the extraction holes...like a colander, similar the broccoli steaming on your cooker.

If you smoke, the best thing you can do is drink steadily. Alcohol opens up those capilieries that the smoke shrinks.

As you sip, console yourself that you didn't do strip - the wound is deeper and more horrible.

Scar,

I very nearly spit my drink all over my monitor upon reading this. :)

nitzz,

From a non-smoker's perspective, it's difficult to understand the allure of smoking; especially in the face of potential risks to the outcome of an expensive, elective surgical procedure like hair transplantation.

Smoking is known to present a risk to healing. One concern is that the nicotine in cigarettes causes blood vessels to constrict, decreasing blood flow to the surgery sites. Reduced blood flow means less oxygen and nutrients needed to support healing and tissue growth. In the case of hair transplant surgery this may affect healing and eventual growth of the delicate grafts.

Notice that I said "may". Your experience may be different than the experience of another patient who smokes prior to and after surgical hair restoration. There have certainly been members of our hair loss forum in the past that have had excellent results despite continuing to smoke and have stated as much. Still, the risk to hair growth is real and should be considered.

Can exercise offset these risks? I don't know. Perhaps the use of Rogaine (minoxidil) which is a vasodilator (increases blood flow) can curtail the constricting effects of smoking. Again, I don't know.

The bottom line is that all hair transplant surgeons that I'm aware of advise patients to avoid smoking for a period before and after surgery in order to provide the delicate follicular unit grafts a better chance to heal and grow. The choice to heed or ignore this advice is up to the individual.

I do hope your hair transplant meets your expectations and you experience no complications. Best of luck!

David - Former Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant

I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my Hair Loss Website

Exactly what he said. Haha..

There you go, david gave you a good explanation of the risk,s it 'may' cause. Its entirely up to the patient. But its not for definate that it will restricted blood flow. like david said theres been plenty of ht results were patients have smoked during the healing phase.imo i doubt it will have an affect on the final result.

Hii all now i am into 6th week of my procedure, last night i saw very fine thin tiny colorless hairs in my recepiant area and also in my donor shockloss effected area then in the morning i confirmed the same with my mom and friend thry also saw the same kind of growth, as i ws smoking pre n post procedure this news was big sigh of relief for me, what i want to ask is are these thin fine hairs are my new transplanted hairs? These hairs are so thin n tiny dat my phone camera cant capture dem and are visible in sunlight only

• 7 years later...
On 5/26/2015 at 10:24 AM, nitzz said:

Hey guys,

I am into my fifth week of 4000 fue procedure my healing was pretty fine not much of discomfort in recepiant or donor area shock loss appeared in 2nd week which i think is subsidised substantialy now,

My query is im a smoker and was unable to quit it pre or post procedure will it effect the yeild, in my view healing was not hampered much, is there anyone who smoked and underwent ht , plz share results with me

Thxxx iam attaching pics 5 days post op, three week post op and four weeks post op

DSC_0728.jpg.119246676484862559b9bbde64ab3ebc.jpg

DSC_0561.jpg.d01c75d956cc2c8e8ce23fe124a3bb90.jpg

DSC_0778.jpg.23a7b3cc11f7611f1bc8322aba72b362.jpg

did you shock loos recover 

Just now, Britalien said:

After 7 years I would certainly think so, he hasn’t logged in since 2019, hopefully he’s now just living his life and enjoying his hair 😉

I never noticed when he last logged in, i’m in a really bad place at the moment just looking for cases that grew back have only seen 3-4 on this 

1 minute ago, leeC123 said:

I never noticed when he last logged in, i’m in a really bad place at the moment just looking for cases that grew back have only seen 3-4 on this 

Shock loss is very, very rarely permanent, for you it’s early and we already see it improving 👌You will drive yourself crazy with worry, when there is really no need. Other peoples results and recovery will have no bearing on yours, which as I mentioned is starting to get better, and it’s relatively early on. 

• Like 1

Just now, Britalien said:

Shock loss is very, very rarely permanent, for you it’s early and we already see it improving 👌You will drive yourself crazy with worry, when there is really no need. Other peoples results and recovery will have no bearing on yours, which as I mentioned is starting to get better, and it’s relatively early on. 

Thank You i appreciate it 💯

• Thanks 1