A simple Q, or maybe not!

6000 donor available, good hair characteristics BUT good chance I will go to NW7. If I get 2000 in the frontal 1/3rd now will the remaining 4000 donor be enough for me to still have a natuaral look if I did reach NW7? I don't care if I have a thin crown, just as long as I don't look like I've had a HT.

What do you guys think?

Depends how bald you are and how old you are. Obviously if you are under 30 your HT doctor has too seriously plan for your future and make sure you are left with spare donor hair.

Hopefully with the help of propecia you wont have to think about that for a while. Also i'm sure that in the next 10 to 15 years there will be a lot of further developments such as hair cloning and this wont be an issue anymore. Lets hope...

you will have a very thin crown if you go NW7... 6000 is just not enough IMO.. if your front third is BALD 2000 grafts will provide a thin result more than likely.. obv how you style it will be key.. your best look will probably be the comb back look... something to consider also is if you go NW7 your hairloss may drop a bit on your sides, resulting in a tuft of transplaned hair up top and unclosed temples if you do not want to look like you had work done it will require a skilled doc and more valuble donor to close your temples to your sides...

*** RESULTS WILL 100%, without a DOUBT, VARY***

Also i'm sure that in the next 10 to 15 years there will be a lot of further developments such as hair cloning and this wont be an issue anymore. Lets hope...

and im sure that you cannot POSSIBLY be sure of thisicon_wink.gif im also sure that ANYONE.....ANYONE who makes a decision on a transplant with the believe that a future 'cure' like treatment will come soon enough to save the rest of their hair is putting themselves in a bad spot

within 20 years im SURE there will be a cure for AIDS, and since they have decent treatments that allow me to live MANY MANY years with it F**K it!!! no more comdoms for me.. eh? eh?.... whos with me!!....................anyone......... hello??

within 20 years im SURE there will be a cure for AIDS, and since they have decent treatments that allow me to live MANY MANY years with it F**K it!!! no more comdoms for me.. eh? eh?.... whos with me!!....................anyone......... hello??

1.go for a very skilled surgeon and tell him your goals man.

2.cover up your frontal and mid scalp and dont think much about the crown because "crown is like a well" which requires a lot of hairs .

3.another way is that if you have a thin crown then you can always cover it with some good concealers.

Interesting question. I agree with many of the points made in response

1. Concealers can make a big difference in thinning or thin areas but not on totally bald areas.

2. There may be improvements especially with cloning in the future but it is wiser to regard this as a bonus if it happens not something inevitable as lost my swagger illustrated.

3. Propecia can definitely delay further loss for the vast majority of people.

I would like to add as well that I found it helpful to visualise the different sections of the scalp. Doing this enables you to think through which ones are required for a cosmetic improvement now. It also allows you to think which ones would have to have donors in reserve to cover any further loss as in the missing temples described by lost my swagger.

This is a graft calculator provided by the site which is the type of thing I mean. I actually made some rough measurements myself and did the calculations on a piece of paper but the effect was similar. The only thing I would say is that the calculator here may not fully help you to appreciate how the sides could go from a NW6 to a NW7. I would say the model is closer to a 6.

Graft Calculator

Originally posted by Chops:

6000 donor available, good hair characteristics BUT good chance I will go to NW7. If I get 2000 in the frontal 1/3rd now will the remaining 4000 donor be enough for me to still have a natuaral look if I did reach NW7? I don't care if I have a thin crown, just as long as I don't look like I've had a HT.

What do you guys think?

Some docs can rebuild a "frontal forelock", that looks like a natural forelock of hair on an otherwise very bald man. The idea is not to create a real hairline, but to frame the face, so that he is not slick bald, and that there is more focus on the face.

If you are going to be a NW7, I would absolutel not get a standard (or even receded) hairline planted. You will end up with an island on top disconnected from the rest.

Check out Beehner, he specializes in this.

6000 donor available, good hair characteristics BUT good chance I will go to NW7.

Chops,

Generally speaking one needs 1000 grafts per level on the NW scale, so if you go to NW7, you will need 7000 grafts.

take care...

Thanks everyone for your comments amd thoughts.

you will have a very thin crown if you go NW7... 6000 is just not enough IMO

Do you mean 6000 is not enough to provide a natural result, for soemone who ends up as NW7? I'm fine with thinness and a thin crown as long as it looks natural.

your best look will probably be the comb back look

Unfortunately my hair naturally points forward in a flat direction hence the comb back lookdoesn't work for me.

How old are you? Would you consider posting some pictures? Who told you that you have 6000 donor available?

I'm 33. Sorry camera is currently not working.

1.go for a very skilled surgeon and tell him your goals man.

2.cover up your frontal and mid scalp and dont think much about the crown because "crown is like a well" which requires a lot of hairs .

3.another way is that if you have a thin crown then you can always cover it with some good concealers.

Good advice. How many grafts do you think a NW7 can use on the crown? I'm only a NW4 at the moment, but just wondering but just wondering if the crown did start tro open what the max no. is that I should sensibly throw at it.

If you are going to be a NW7, I would absolutel not get a standard (or even receded) hairline planted. You will end up with an island on top disconnected from the rest.

So what alternative are you suggetsing or are you stating that if a nw4 thinks they will go to nw7 then they shouldn't get a ht full stop?

I guess the sides dropping is the biggest worry. I mean there are some ol men out there who have the tinies little ring of nw7.

Do you mean 6000 is not enough to provide a natural result, for soemone who ends up as NW7? I'm fine with thinness and a thin crown as long as it looks natural.

well what i mean is on a NW7 after you have used plenty of grafts just to close off your temples and give yourself a hairline that frames your face you will not have much for the crown... could a quallified doc improve your overall look as well as make it appear natural??? id say probably, good characteristics like you say you have will OBV help... i know your hair naturally points foward but tis does not mean when grown out it cannot be combed back. it will also give the appearance of more coverage IMO

here is one recent example of a high NW comb foward look-----

http://hair-restoration-info.c...566060861/m/76610894

have you taken a look at joe biden's work?? this is the style that suits NW6-7 cases in almost EVERY case.. Bill, RTC, B-spot, Jotronic, nic nitro, all these guys were pretty high on the NW scale and they all found what im saying to be true.... their hair looks its best combed back...... can you imagine joe biden with his hair styled foward??

you need to keep in mind that transplants are not 100% natural, there WILL be textural differences especially in the hairline as you will be using thicker hair from your back as oppose to the purely natural way your natural hairline used to be... when you have a transplant you really need to learn to 'work with the transplant' when it comes to your hairstyle.

yet another REALITY of hair transplantsicon_wink.gif

Chops,

If you are a norwood 6 or 7, you can still achieve a nice and natural looking result but won't be able to achieve both full coverage and high density. One will have to be sacrificed to obtain the other.

There are multiple approaches to hair transplantation, and working with a top level surgeon to create a hair restoration plan that's most fitting to your goals is the first step.

Ultimately, after a lot of research and discussion, you'll learn whether or not hair restoration can realistically accomplish your goals.

As a level 6 on the norwood scale, I'm very satisfied with my results. However, though I have full coverage, my hair is still thin, especially in the crown. But to me, this is so much better than having no hair at all.

Hair transplant surgery is about creating an illusion of hair density and a natural appearance.

Even though my hair is thinner, my best female friend told me the other day after I told her I had hair transplant surgery and would be completely bald without it, that she had no idea, and just thought I had a nice thick head of hair. Trained hair geek luminaries may notice a thinner appearance, but the average person usually sees true density and the illusion as the same thing.

If you are a norwood 7 and are considering hair restoration, you may want to sacrifice the crown to reconstruct a natural looking mature hairline and forelock area.

Consider all your options carefully before getting in the chair.

Best wishes,

Bill

Hi Chops,

Go to NHI - (promotional link removed) I had a procedure done in athens last July 2008,and had the big procedure 6000 hairs which got me my frontline back plus top of my head and my crown and i now have a full head of hair, if you need anymore help let me know,

Regards

Dean

lmaximus77@aol.com

Dean,

I see you discussing NHI a lot claiming to be a patient of theirs, but I don't see your result photos posted anywhere on this forum.

If people are going to take your recommendation of a particular clinic seriously, I'd suggest creating a new "photo album" and sharing your detailed experience, before and after photos with us.

It's also not clear to me at this time whether or not you are here to promote this clinic. Therefore, any link you post to their website will be seen as promotional and thus removed. If you work for this clinic, you are required to disclose your affiliation with them in your forum signature. Please read our terms of service.

Best Regards,

Bill

Hello Chops, most type 7s are dealt a double whammy...they have a larger balding area and many times, poor donor to serve it. Type 7 patterns receed into the side and back planes of your head and the donor can erode downward, upward from the nape and in from the sides...along with, within the donor. If you have the potential to be a type 7th even if you are not now, you need to address yourself that way now and if you can prevent it with meds you can get more aggressive in time, but only when you know for sure. Most type 7 should not get to aggressive with the anterior or posterior borders; the work usually needs to be balanced on top of the head, like balancing a book, not too weighted in the front or the back. Therefore, the end result would be a higher more narrow hairline and a bald crown.

Type 6 patients even though bald, many times have great donor and can achieve full coverage in most cases. Average patient have 6000FUs in the donor, average MPA is approx 200cm2, one distributes 6000FUs over a 200 cm2 area it yields 30FUs/cm2, not bad for someone who would otherwise be bald. 30FU/cm2 depending on the characteristics of ones hair; color, coarseness and wavy can have a bit of a fuller appearance, in my opinion most patients would rather have the frontal half, average 40FU/cm2 the crown just enough hair to hide the scalp at about 20FU/cm2. All the Best, Matt

Patient Educator, Shapiro Medical. Going on 20years with Dr Ron Shapiro......not a regular poster, I leave that to Janna

mmhce, "I can't see you now just your two eyes", but thank you.

I'll introduce myself; I have been with Dr Ron Shapiro ever since he has been doing Transplants, starting back in 1990. In the past I was not interested in posting or trespass in your world. I thought this would be a venue where patients could be left to them selves to discuss matters and if they wanted the opinion of a clinic they would contact them. I've started to wet my lips a bit, and so far I enjoy it. Thanks, Matt

Patient Educator, Shapiro Medical. Going on 20years with Dr Ron Shapiro......not a regular poster, I leave that to Janna