FUE Cost Confusion

Hello all!

I am more than likely going to commit to an FUE procedure this year, and for the past 20 months I have been researching deeply into who I would like to perform the surgery.

My consultation is in two weeks which I am extremely anxious about! (In a good and bad way? haha). The main thing is the cost which is causing me confusion.

I understand some surgeons charge per hair, others per graft. My chosen surgery happens to charge per hair (?2.50).

I am a norwood 3 with frontal recession, and looking at the surgery's previous work, full norwood 7 transplants end around ?8000. Now I am no where near a NW7 of course, but would the cost of my HT be anywhere close to 8k if my grafts contain a lot of 2-4 hairs (taking into consideration that this surgery charges per hair).

Another concerning thing is in a lot of the albums of previous patients, it details how many grafts they had, then 5000 hairs for example,. which would equal way over 10,000 pound transplant, when clearly it did not cost that much because it was only a norwood 3.

Also, if at the consultation I am estimated to need XXXX amount of hairs at ?XXXX price, but after the surgery it turns out he transplanted a lot more hair than originally thought, will the price be higher than whats quoted? I cant imagine budgeting for 4k then it costing 6k all of a sudden

Thanks for reading and sorry if its a confusing question!

Edited by VegetasWidowsPeak

I couldn't see charging per hair vs graft, it would make no sense, the extraction work is the exact same. A graft is a graft is a graft, whether it's a 4 hair vs single. First cautionary flag is cost per hair, I would make sure your facts are straight before deciding.

Ive clocked this as well tbh.and that thought that cant be right. im sure its per graft they mean and not per hair but. But on the other hand i can see them charging per hair because well thats Britain for you.

If i was you id start looking abroad like spain or Belgium. You can get much more for your pound.

Good luck mate.

Ive clocked this as well tbh.and that thought that cant be right. im sure its per graft they mean and not per hair but. But on the other hand i can see them charging per hair because well thats Britain for you.

If i was you id start looking abroad like spain or Belgium. You can get much more for your pound.

Good luck mate.

It would be good if someone with any experience with The Private Clinic and their pricing could comment, or KR (I think the user is KR) who represents Reddy on this forum!

I seem to recall hearing of a few doctors using this pricing method, though very rarely. It's definitely a bizarre way to charge and makes it nearly impossible to anticipate the total cost of the procedure beforehand - something that is an extremely important factor for most of us. Patients have enough stress to deal with when getting a hair transplant that they shouldn't have to also worry about how much their bill is going to be when they leave the office after surgery. The fact that you're having to guess how much your procedure would cost is ridiculous to me.

Like SySperling10 said: A graft is a graft is a graft. Charging more for a graft just because it has more hairs seems suspicious to me, and I personally wouldn't go for it.

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My views/opinions are my own and don't necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.

Check out my hair loss website for photos

FUE surgery by Dr. Mohebi on 7/31/14
2,001 grafts - Ones: 607; Twos: 925; Threes: 413; Fours: 56

Thanks for the input pk & Vories. I have prospectively contacted a few other surgeons outside of the UK, and i await their initial thoughts on the images I provided. However I do plan on attending my consultation at The Private Clinic. I will be sure to get a concrete answer regarding their prices (and possibly feedback here with pictures of my hair and the quotation so others with similar hairloss can get a rough estimate too). Also, shackeds post helped clarify Reddys pricing too, which has convinced me to start looking abroad... I mean 12,000GBP for frontal restoration is insane.

Hi mate,

I had 1200 grafts with Dr Reddy last October. I was charged ?7,500 pounds (I think your 12k estimate is plan wrong). At the time I actually didn't know how how this price was reached but I think their pricing is "per graft" not "per hair". In fairness they answered all my questions and are happy to see me and make time for me so I am sure they will be transparent with you too. I had my hairline dropped around an inch down and temple areas tightened up.

I hope if all goes well for you.

Best,

Nav.

Yep look deeper into europe better bang for your buck & it would work out a lot cheaper for you & proberly do a much better job.

UK citizens don't call rip off britain for nothing.

Somebody charge per a hair I would stay way clear.

Yep look deeper into europe better bang for your buck & it would work out a lot cheaper for you & proberly do a much better job.

UK citizens don't call rip off britain for nothing.

Somebody charge per a hair I would stay way clear.

I agree. Thanks for your input. And thank you Nav. However 7500 GPB would have got you triple the amount of grafts at EU rates. Your Inputs have been really really helpful.

Hi mate,

I had 1200 grafts with Dr Reddy last October. I was charged ?7,500 pounds (I think your 12k estimate is plan wrong). At the time I actually didn't know how how this price was reached but I think their pricing is "per graft" not "per hair". In fairness they answered all my questions and are happy to see me and make time for me so I am sure they will be transparent with you too. I had my hairline dropped around an inch down and temple areas tightened up.

I hope if all goes well for you.

Best,

Nav.

7500 UKP for 1200 grafts? So that works out to be 6.25 UKP per a graft which is aprox $10 per a graft sounds pricey to me compair to US or Europe prices.

Oh well the result is all what matters I guess.

Dr De Reys is advertising 3k grafts for 7500 euros. Which is 5400 GPB. Cost of accom and train travel inclusive. However this is from some light research and pre consultation. Although if you are satisfied with your result and the aftercare you're receiving that's what counts

While your window shopping I see on CNN that Ryan Air will be doing cheap flights from UK to US But not a lot of Drs to choose from doing FUE.

Turkey, spain & Brussels seem to be the hot spots for FUE.