Does hair system damage transplanted hair?

I recently underwent a hair transplant of around 3k grafts. Since my bald area was pretty large, the results obtained from HT are very average to create illusion of hair. Until I have more money to go for another session of HT, I want to wear a hair system so that it can act as a filler. I won't prefer to wear hair system, but in our culture, absence of hair is really a stigma in your path to get married. My question is: does hair system cause any kind of damage to transplanted hair? I am 7 months post my hair transplant surgery.

Absolutely you can wear a system over your growing HT without damage. Just be cautious about attaching it to your new hairs, they will be permanent at 7 months, but if you pull it will just be sore. I did it with my 1st HT, no problem

Hope this helps

1st HT 1973 FUT's with Dr.Robert Mcclellan 6/28/2007

*unfortunately I have no info on hair count on my 1st surgery ..

2nd HT 3026 FUT's with Dr. Bernadino Arocha 1/9/2014

1's - 797

2's - 3700

3's - 246

5634 hairs

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/attachment.php?attachmentid=54945&d=1389315686

3026 FUTs 1 day HT#2 post op frontal picture

Some doctors advise against wearing a hair system after a HT. Ask your doctor before putting it on. I would be cautious if I were you. Let us know what your Doctor tells you.

I am not a medical professional and my words should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions and views shared are my own.

You must be Indian. I remember a big to do over a patient of Dr. Ron Shapiro's who wore a hair system after getting his procedure done and not getting the results he wanted. The fact that you're 7 months out from surgery would lead me to believe it would probably be safe but I would check with your Doc to get an opinion.

You must be Indian. I remember a big to do over a patient of Dr. Ron Shapiro's who wore a hair system after getting his procedure done and not getting the results he wanted. The fact that you're 7 months out from surgery would lead me to believe it would probably be safe but I would check with your Doc to get an opinion.

Yes, I am an Indian :). What is the general opinion about wearing hair system on top of transplanted hair? Is there any theory that says that hair systems damage transplanted/native hair due to reduced exposure to oxygen, sunlight, etc.?

Shapiro Medical's stance on hair systems would be to minimize the usage as much as possible during the growth phases.

I'd like to refresh StaggerLee's memory on the "big to do". The "big to do" was concerning a colleague of Dr. Shapiro's. This patient was very unhappy with his result. Poor growth may have been due to a hair system despite the patient getting reassurance from several doctors that it was fine to wear a system. As a favor to his colleague and because Dr. Shapiro felt badly for this patient, SMG did couple transplants for free on him.

I wore hair systems for 11 years before my first HT. One of the things that I noticed was that my native hair continued to be stifled and stunted from both growth and overall density. My systems covered the entire top of my scalp and polyfuse (glue) was used to hold it in place.

My first HT procedure involved strengthening my weak hairline that was diffusing and receding. The rest of the grafts were placed in the frontal zone. My surgeon, who just happened to be Dr. Shapiro advised me to stop wearing the system because he felt that some of my native hair would grow back.

It did. I was shocked that not only did my grafts grow in but over the next year I even grew some native hair back that were not grafts. I never wore hair systems again...:D

I have also observed this with several other men over the years who wore systems long term and then had surgical hair restoration. Some of them had regrowth with their native hair along with their grafts.

So I have concluded that wearing systems long term can in fact stunt some of the hair that exists under the system. I don't think it matters so much in the short term but long term, if the systems do not allow the scalp to breathe underneath them, they can stunt hair growth.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY