Too thick, unnatural looking transplanted hair

Hello, i had a hair transplant 1,5 years ago. All was ok, until 1 year everything was fine, the thin areas were nicely filling in. But after 1 year the transplanted hairs became too thick and coarse, and now they look unnatural. What is the cause of this, and is there a solution to "soften" them?

I mean, it's logical for transplanted hair to be thicker than the existing hair in the front(which is miniaturised to some degree), but these are simply too,too thick and coarse, and hard to style.

Which is kind of strange, i remember my surgeon telling me that my hair in donor area is not so thick in caliber), and now they are super-super thick. Why are they now, almost thicker than in donor area? They are certainly thicker than at the moment of transplant, 'cause i remember it well, in the 1-2 weeks till they shed, they were perfectly looking, and surely hair diameter was less than it is now.

And what solutions do i have to soften them?

From what i read on the net, some sources say that it may be only temporary, and the hairs are going to get more "normal" in a couple of years, but others say that it is not true.

Other people suggeste plucking them(so they grow back thinner and more normal), or even apply laser on them, but of course these are extreme and dangerous methods.

Did other people with HT have the same problem? Too thick hairs in transplanted area?

Note: i did it a really good HT surgeon, so it's not a bad, botched job, not at all. I repeat, at some point it was looking perfect, but then suddenly the hairs got too thick.

And...i took MSM supplements and biotin for almost the whole last year. Is it possible that MSM be the culprit, as MSM thickens hair . But i stopped MSM for 2 months and they remain as thick as before in the transplanted area.

P.S. The reason it's bothering me is that i like to keep the hair short all-over, if i keep it longer, of course the probem becomes almost undetectable. But i like to have the option to keep hair short, and when t's short, the thick transplanted hairs simply get me mad.

Hi as i know, on the top of your scalp where the recipient area, the blood circulation is so much,or there are much more blood on top therefore hair comes from donor area will be thicker on the top of your scalp or head.

Hey mate,

You aren't wrong in noting the difference regarding calibre of hair from donor to recipient. My HT took almost two or so years to feel and sit as natural as my native hair did, was an interesting time. I would wait it out slightly longer, or for experiment purpose lay off of the MSM and biotin for a bit.

You may possibly be one of the few to become upset over having thick hair :)

but I totally understand what you are trying to say.

Chuck up some real close up photos if possible?

Mike

"The road to success is always under construction"

:cool: I represent Dr Rahal and the associated clinic as a paid patient advisor.

I am also here to assist fellow Australian/NZ Hair Loss sufferers both on and off the forum.

Hair Transplant Surgery:

June 3rd 2011

2800 Grafts to frontal 1/3

By Dr Rahal in Ottawa, Canada

Current Hair Loss Arsenal:

Dutas .5mg every day 1.5 years and Proscar 5mg (Cut into 1/4): x1 Daily 10 years

Hair-A-Gain Generic Minox: x2 Daily 13 years

(Applied wet in mornings)

Other Random products put to use during my hair loss battle (not in use):

Spiro Cream 5mg

Minox 15%

Dr Proctor's Nano Shampoo

Various Herbal supplements

Toppik/ Nanogen

Saw Palmetto

Provillus - LOL

Nanogen Shampoo

Laser Treatments (Epic Fail)

10 long years of HT and general HL research.:cool:

*I am not a medical professional, I only offer my own advice from personal experiences and years of detailed research*

It sounds like you may be a diffused thinner. And if so, the transplanted hair is going to appear thicker in hair shaft diameter when compared to the diffusing native hair within the same area. That's not abnormal especially if you have a higher degree of coarseness (above average) to your terminal hair taken from the donor region.

And if you have a wider color contrast, meaning darker hair color, then the differences in caliber can potentially be that more noticeable to the naked eye.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

Gillenator, it's common sense what you say.

But i want to know, is the transplanted hair supposed to get more "normal" looking as time goes? It's very normal, i get it, for them to be darker and thicker in caliber than exisitng hair in recipient area, but mine are just too odd... They are super thick, and coarse. That coarsesness/wiryness bothers me. Because the hairs stick out, they don't lay flat.

I had the same issue. Dark coarse hair which was unmanageable post FUE procedure. I have no idea what causes this although I assume it's trauma to the hair which may or may not have any medical merit. Additionally my hairs were implanted at incorrect angles which I only realized after consulting a few docs. Maybe you have some of this going on.

Sorry, i'm not really fond of taking pictures of my head and posting them.

No, my hair angles are ok. It's just the thickness of the hairs. Not all of them, only a part.

Gram, how much time ago you had the procedure? Did the hair soften with time?

The angles are ok, but even so, if the hair is very coarse and "rigid" and straight, it looks unnatural.

theres a new one. someone complaining about having thick hair after a HT smh. wat next? ppl gonna start complaining cause all their transplanted hairs grew in lol.

it takes at least a year to two for everything to settle in. settle down and be happy ur hair is thick.

Thick hair is , for sure, good for optimal coverage. But...it should be kind of "soft" and malleable, not hard like a wire... i have some like that, they're thick as a pencil lead and hard as a wire, styling them or making them stand flat is out of discussion, so my only option is to cut them just at the level of the skin. It is not the way they look my main concern, of course, the thicker in caliber, the better, is they way they "feel" and stand, and, i repeat, the angles are not the problem.

They , almost all, form the right angle with the scalp, but natural hair, even that thick one in donor area, is much softer, not this hard, like a wire.

Gillenator, it's common sense what you say.

But i want to know, is the transplanted hair supposed to get more "normal" looking as time goes? It's very normal, i get it, for them to be darker and thicker in caliber than exisitng hair in recipient area, but mine are just too odd... They are super thick, and coarse. That coarsesness/wiryness bothers me. Because the hairs stick out, they don't lay flat.

dreamer,

For many individuals, the donor hair taken from the occipital zone has the most optimal caliber as compared to other donor regions of the scalp. If you were to add any more FUE to the same area, you want your surgeon to make some hair shaft comparisons to select some grafts that have a thinner caliber. That might help to soften the area.

That's supposed to be one of the advantages of FUE. To be able to cherry pick grafts from multiple donor areas that have a softer texture, especially when creating a new hairline, etc.

Also maybe try to grow the length longer in the entire area. Sometimes that helps, visually speaking. But in time, the transplanted hair will assume its original characteristics from where it was harvested from.

Gillenator

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

• 5 years later...

Wow, it's been 5 years now!

Gillenator

• 1 month later...