Minoxidil 10% for 18 months - seen no regrowth - give up or try alternative?

n2se5

I've been using Belgravia's 10% Minoxidil for 18 months now and I haven't seen any regrowth at all. It might of helped to stabilized my hair but I can't prove this because I've also been taking Propecia/Fin for the same period and I think its the pill that helped to pretty much halt my hair loss.

I am paying a lot of minoxidil at the moment with no proven results so I am looking to change or quit.

I will continue to take fin because I am sure this is working.

So I am thinking should I stop using minoxidil or should I go down to 5% (which is a lot cheaper and buy Kirkland's 5%) or I could even request 12.5% minoxidil.

I've read that low doses of minoxidil (5%) only works on a third of patients and the rest of us see no benefit but many more of us may see benefits using higher doses. As I have used 10% for 18 months and seen no benefit, I'm thinking of what are my chances of seeing a benefit using 12.5% minoxidil.

If anyone has any comments please so write them so I can make my mind up about what to do.

I want to at least maintain my hair or even have some growth on my frontal area. I would say I'm closer to a Norwood 3 than 2.

Thank you.

I would avoid anything advertising itself as "10% Minoxidil", since it hasn't been tested clinically.

Majority of users use 5% Minoxidil and it works well

I would advise you to avoid quitting Minoxidil and better buy 5% Minoxidil

I hope you aware that Minoxidil is less effective on frontal areas

I would avoid anything advertising itself as "10% Minoxidil", since it hasn't been tested clinically.

Thanks for your reply.

10% may not have had the same vigorous testing as 5% but there are proven results on Belgravia's website, but I didn't get any regrowth. I am aware that Minoxidil is less effective on the frontal areas but it does work for some people.

I'm thinking 5% minoxidil but if I've seen zero regrowth on 10% I'm very doubtful I will see any regrowth with 5% too which makes me think, what;s the point?

I am hoping to get a frontal hair transplant one day.

Thanks for your reply.

10% may not have had the same vigorous testing as 5% but there are proven results on Belgravia's website, but I didn't get any regrowth. I am aware that Minoxidil is less effective on the frontal areas but it does work for some people.

I'm thinking 5% minoxidil but if I've seen zero regrowth on 10% I'm very doubtful I will see any regrowth with 5% too which makes me think, what;s the point?

I am hoping to get a frontal hair transplant one day.

I've been using the 5 per cent successfully for a few years now. Post HT I had to stop it for a period of time as it caused spots on the scalp (too much blood to the surface I guess). Back on again but just once a day now (as opposed to twice ...once in morning & before bed).

Good Luck!

I've been using the 5 per cent successfully for a few years now. Post HT I had to stop it for a period of time as it caused spots on the scalp (too much blood to the surface I guess). Back on again but just once a day now (as opposed to twice ...once in morning & before bed).

Good Luck!

Thanks for your post. You mention minoxidil has been successful for you, how so? Has your hair stabilized or have you seen some regrowth?

Cheers

Both actually! :)

Prior to HT, I used it (a few sprays twice a day & finger massaged into scalp) for over two years. No adverse reactions. Plus it seemed to stimulate growth in hair areas that previously were losing hairs for good (& some folk commented on hair growing back).

Plus (& no scientific evidence here) I felt that it at least slowed down the MPB & may have even prevented further loss (just my personal observations but as I say, I can't guarantee that as its easy to let hope win over experience at times!).

Both actually! :)

Prior to HT, I used it (a few sprays twice a day & finger massaged into scalp) for over two years. No adverse reactions. Plus it seemed to stimulate growth in hair areas that previously were losing hairs for good (& some folk commented on hair growing back).

Plus (& no scientific evidence here) I felt that it at least slowed down the MPB & may have even prevented further loss (just my personal observations but as I say, I can't guarantee that as its easy to let hope win over experience at times!).

OK, thanks. Which minoxidil brand did you use?

I think the 10% minoxidil I've used has probably helped to stabilize my hair loss and perhaps even thickened it (I am being very optimistic here) but definitely no hair regrowth so I'm hoping 5% will continue to stabilize my hair loss and maintain the thickness (if this has happened!)>

• 2 weeks later...

Must say I use Belgravia's 12.5% cream and I'm suspicious of whether it does anything or not. I might use rogaine foam for 6 months and see how it goes.

2,000 grafts FUT Dr. Feller, July 27th 2012. 23 years old at the time. Excellent result. Need crown sorted eventually but concealer works well for now.

Propecia and minoxidil since 2010. Fine for 8 years - bad sides after switching to Aindeem in 2018.

Switched to topical fin/minox combo from Minoxidil Max in October 2020, along with dermarolling 1x a week.

Wrote a book for newbies called Beating Hair Loss, available on Amazon

I just spoke with my Dr recently & he said that really I need just to apply 5% Min once a day as the scalp can only soak so much in & adding more times a day does not really effect the end result.

He said less is more kinda deal.

I've started to take Docs advice & TBH my scalp feels kinda relieved & taking a break from all the Min i ve been using.

How all this pans out I've no idea but to me anyway it make sense with the less maybe better for long term users as they say a little bit keeps the Doc away.

In theory more than 5% should work better but no real stats to report such things.

Best wishes to you all.

Yep just once a day everyday.

Even tho the instructions say 2 times a day to apply.

The main general rule is just be consistant on a daily basis once or twice better than nothing.

Best wishes.