9 1/2 days post op FUT. ?'s about crust/scab removal

Hi all,

I am 9 1/2 days post op on a 3000 graft FUT. Contrary to Bernstein and other Dr's, my Dr told me that the first 72 hours are the critical period and to baby the grafts for that time period specifically. I was told that on day 4, I could begin to gently massage the recipient area while shampooing. And on day 5, I could begin to massage away scabs in the recipient area.

I was cautious and began with very light recipent wash massaging for days 5-7. I became a bit more aggressive on day 8, and today and tonight I have been more aggressive still. I have used mostly a circular massage technique but i have also used some fingernail to get rid of crusts and scabs that felt ready to go. I have not "dug" and have not seen one drop of blood. Am I doing okay?

What I have seen A LOT of are crusts, with much less "scabbing". Is this normal? I'm trying to figure out which technique will result in less pulling out of native hairs. I have been doing some of this on dry scalp tonight (Dr said dry is find) and it seems to put less pull on the hair than if I put aloe gel in first and rub around.

Thank you.

so far no bleeding, but am finding my fingers littered with lost native hairs while doing this crust/scab rubbing. idk if it's shock loss or just kind of normal loss that occurs when a person is rubbing on the scalp as i am for minutes at a time...

Hello,

As you have looked at Bernstein's website - I would start there. He has good advice for dealing with scabs. Advice actually backed up by science.

I think the grafts are safe, but you could certainly delay healing or make any scarring worse by what you do now.

Good luck!

You sound like you are doing just fine gently massage them away but do not pick or scratch them off. My advice would be a long soak under the shower or in the bath as Squatch says and then gently towel dry your hair. A couple of days of doing that and they should be nearly all gone.

You could try vitamin E oil at this stage but check with your clinic if they are happy with this.

---

Former patient and representative for Hasson & Wong.

Dr. Victor Hasson and Dr. Jerry Wong are esteemed members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

My opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of Hasson & Wong.

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Hasson

I had great early growth before 90 days post-op. I did not do anything to the grafts in the first 10 days other than dab them with Dr.-provided shampoo and used a cup of water to gently rinse. I did not do ANY gentle massaging while shampooing until day 10. I had almost no scabs, so I can't relate to people who say they needed to "rub" their scabs off in the shower, but I would still be inclined not to rub anything off. Let them fall off naturally with mild water pressure. They'll be gone soon enough and then the waiting begins.

Good luck!

JoeW -- You doctor's instructions are perfectly fine. The flakes or scabs coming off is a natural process that happens with dry scalp and while you can help it along , do not stress over it or be overly aggressive. I would recommend against using nails or scraping them. I would also advise against applying any oils on the scalp unless your doctor has specifically recommended it.

I am assuming this is your first HT , I had very similar concerns with mine too. I am now on HT #3 and hardly pay attention to my scabs as I am used to them following the same shedding pattern as before.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

FUT #1, ~ 1600 grafts hairline (Ron Shapiro 2004)

FUT #2 ~ 2000 grafts frontal third (Ziering 2011)

FUT #3 ~ 1900 grafts midscalp (Ron Shapiro early 2015)

FUE ~ 1500 grafts frontal third, side scalp, FUT scar repair --300 beard, 1200 scalp (Ron Shapiro, late 2016)

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/185663-recent-fue-dr-ron-shapiro-prior-fut-patient.html

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On average, it takes roughly 7-10 days for the recipient incisions to heal. That's the key. Once the healing has taken place, it's fine to remove the crusts.

Some individuals heal a tad bit faster, some a bit slower.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY