Dr Cooley

Brando

Brando....

First off, welcome to the message board. You're already on the right track asking questions about potential HT doctors. This is a great place to learn and ask questions about doctors as well as HT's themselves. Don't be hesitant to ask as many questions as you need.

If you use the search option here on the message board for "Dr. Cooley", I'd written a good bit about my experience with him right when I first got my HT (back in late March last year). There was another guy who wrote about his experience as well. I think his name was a combination of Tim and Charlotte, but I cant remember the exact name. I'd be happy to answer any specific questions you may have (based on my experience).

Please let me know any specific questions. My experience was OK. It was a long procedure and pretty uncomfortable. I was in the chair all day. I had 1600 grafts. His staff was some what young. It was my second procedure. After my first my scar was almost invisible. It is still somewhat new but is wider and a little raised. I can see it after getting a haircut with a number 4 guard and I am 7 or so months since that procedure. I do not know if this is Dr Cs fault or not. I am going to meet with him again in a month or so and discuss it. I am also going to go to some other Dr's just to see what they say.

Hey Brando,

I had my HT done by Dr. Baxa in Charlotte in Nov and I would recommend you talk to him also before you decide. I had 1160 fu done and I am very pleased with the result, as far as the scar is concerned I had my wife look at it and she has a hard time finding it. Good luck in your search.

Whit

whoops.....I hit post reply...disregard the last post.

Brando...

Definitely do your reading. In my opinion, you should be very knowleadgeable about the aspects of HT surgery and choosing the proper surgeon (knowing all the terms, all the possible outcomes, things that can go wrong, what realistic expecations are, etc.) before you even schedule your first consultation. There should be like a quiz on this site about HT techniques/information, and if you can't pass, then you shouldnt get a consultation anywhere til you can. One thing's for sure...you should be running for you life from any clinic that just schedules an HT surgery without any prior consultations.

Second, don't limit yourself geographically. Seeing as you've already mentioned 2 Charlotte docs and a 3rd which I assume is in the area, it seems as if you're set on seeing someone in Charlotte. Dont limit yourself to a certain area when you choose an HT doc.....good surgeons arent like good restaurants where you can get a large number of safe choices in any city.

As far as my scar goes, I'm very far along post-op, and along with shock loss I sweated scar widening a great deal. I can get a #2 cut with complete confidence that no one can notice a thing. Scars can be on a case by case basis.

I guess that's about it......do your research....read, read, read,....and don't limit yourself geographically.

Hey Brando,

Sorry it took so long to get back to you I have been out of town, I had all of the HT done on the front 3rd of my head I was a norwood 2-3 and I had 1160 fu done . Thankfully I had very little shock loss of my existing hair.It is now 3 months and I probably have about 50% regrowth right now and I am looking forward to the next couple of months. Good luck with your search.

Whit

Brando,

The 50% that I refered to is new growth from the transplant and most of it is about a 1/4 inch long now. I recieved almost a totally new hairline because I am a norwood 3, so far I am pleased with the way it looks, it is not quite as dense as I would like it but I am only 3 months post op, I see new growth every week so I am hoping it will thicken up over the next few months. if I lost any of my existing hair from shock I didnt notice, I guess I was lucky after reading some of the other posts, I was on minoxidil for 3 years and propecia for about 6 months before I had the HT done I think that helped with the shock loss. If you want to see what I had done wee can meet, you can e-mail me at gregwhit1@aol.com

• 1 month later...

I am a patient of Dr. Cooley's and I'm just a little over a week post-transplant (about 1400 grafts).

I have only good things to say about my experience. Obviously, it's too early to tell how my final results will look, but I have a very high opinion of how the procedure was conducted.

I was in the chair from around 9 to after 5, with a few breaks. I didn't mind the time...in fact I appreciated Dr. Cooley and his staff for being very meticulous. But even though there was attention to detail, the atmosphere was friendly and laid-back. While I wouldn't say it was fun, it wasn't bad at all.

As someone else mentioned, the staff is pretty young, but they've all been with Dr. Cooley for several years, and I found them to be a well-coordinated team.

I'm a local, and I had planned to visit several Charlotte-area doctors before deciding on one. After visiting Dr. Cooley's office, I felt comfortable going with him.

So far, I'm very happy with my decision. During the one-week "clean-up" everything looked good and I'm confident that I'll be very pleased with the final results.

Lebowski....congratulations on your recent HT. Your visit sounded a lot like mine. They were meticulous and detailed, they stayed after business hours to finish me, but there was just never a rushed or tense feel to it....it was completely laid back. Keep us updated and good luck.

I'm happy to hear your transplant went well. I scheduled a consultation with him for May and I'm excited. I'm 20 and I have a bad hairline, I'm so ready to get this taken care of. I love hearing the good stories about Dr Cooley. He sounds great and I can't wait to see first hand.

I had scar repair with Dr. Cooley last month. Very professional and upfront. He is a straight shooter. He also practices what he preaches, as he has had work done and is on a regimen of propecia and rogaine. He conducts important research on many hair restoration issues and seems to be a very intelligent, talented individual. Sorry to sound like an infomercial for the guy, but my experience with him was very positive. Good luck.

Worried Man,

Did Dr Cooley require you to take Propecia in order for you to have a transplant? As I stated before, I am 20 yrs old and am well aware of my age issues, but I'm ready to do something. My hairline has been high and U shaped all my life. I want to lower it and fill in the temples a bit, but I don't want the side effects of Propecia. I hope Dr Cooley understands. Is he pretty understanding?

Brando.....have you tried propecia yet? Dr. Cooley didnt "require" me to start taking propecia, but he highly recommended it as well as gave me a prescription.

Don't write off propecia if you haven't tried it yet. Some guys experience side effects, but I've never had a single one. I think many would agree that Propecia is the definite first step towards treating hair loss, far before any HT.

Sorry so long to reply. He did strongly recommend propecia, but did not demand I use it. Obviously, the decision is ultimately up to you. I have been on it for almost 3 months with absolutely no side effects. I am 27. If anything, my libido has increased!

Thanks alot Worried man and NC30...I'm going to go through with the consultation in hopes that Dr Cooley will lower my hairline for me. Is Dr Cooley's office big? I am just wondering what to expect.

It's no bigger or smaller than a regular family practice doctor's office. There's nothing really to watch out for. I think the only thing I'd recommend is to actually have all your questions written down. I remember not being able to think of one or two at the last minute, and wish I'd been slightly more prepared.