Dr Cooley

Brando

I'll describe my consult...I suspect they're all pretty similar. I first met with the head nurse, Ailene. She has worked with Dr. Cooley for some time and is very knowledgeable about the technique and the current "state of the art". She answered virtually all my questions, reviewed my personal info, and showed some before-and-after photos of past patients. (I second the idea of writing the questions down beforehand). She also went over Dr. Cooley's credentials, which are very impressive.

Then Dr. Cooley came in. He asked me some more questions about my health history, when I first started losing hair, etc. He then looked closely at my hair and scalp to determine whether I was a good candidate. Once he established that I was indeed a candidate, he asked me to describe exactly what I wanted from the procedure. He made notes on a diagram as I talked.

The only "tool" he used was some sort of ruler to measure the area to be worked on. By doing that and figuring an appropriate density, he came up with a suggested range of grafts. I'm sure both he and Ailene can estimate without using anything, but I suppose it's a good way to verify.

Everything was very comfortable and there was no sense of being rushed. Both Ailene and Dr. Cooley encouraged me to ask questions.

I was already a Rogaine user, and Dr. Cooley suggested that I also use Propecia (one tablet every other day). He wrote me a prescription for the propecia and that was it. As you probably know, there was no charge for the visit.

The consult sold me and I scheduled my HT a few days later. I'm sure there are other good doctors out there, but I don't think you can go wrong with Dr. Cooley.

Good luck!

• 1 month later...

i know this is an old thread, but i liked what i was hearing about Dr. Cooley.

Brando, Im very interested in how your consultation went. and id like to know about prices too. i know that i dont want to make geographical location a priority, but hell, Charlotte is only an hour and a half from me (im in Columbia) and that would definitely be a plus, if he does great work.

------------------------------

Check out the results of my surgical hair restoration performed by Dr. Jerry Cooley by visiting my Hair Loss Weblog

Socialdrinker,

Dr. Cooley impressed me very much. I am about to schedule a HT for August. I live 3 1/2 hours away from Charlotte. He is going to do 1000-1200 grafts on me. 1000 will be $5,000 and 1200 will be $5800. He charges $5 a graft up to 1000. His website is www.haircenter.com

• 2 weeks later...

I recently had a hair transplant done by Dr. Cooley (on June 11, 2004) for 1600 grafts to fill in my right and left temple region and my sides. I've been thinning since my early 20s. I'm 32 now. Anyway, the procedure lasted between 8:30 AM and 6 PM. The entire experience was very positive, and Dr. Cooley definitely exceeded my expectations. I live in Myrtle Beach, about 5 hours from Dr. Cooley's practice. The distance and the amount I paid ($7,000) was worth it. I will try to post photos. If anybody has any questions, please ask. I highly recommend Dr. Cooley if you are considering a consultation or a hair transplant with him.

Brian

I couldn't agree more with you. I am a new hair transplant patient of Dr. Cooley. He put in 1600 grafts. He and his staff are very friendly and perfectionists. The time did fly by. I rarely experienced any pain throughout the procedure. Of course I was on a sedative. I snoozed on and off throughout the procedure as Dr. Cooley and his assistants worked on me. I also really liked the hairline Dr. Cooley created for me for somebody my age. Of course, it will be months before I see the actually results, but I am optimistic and excited.

I am a patient of Dr. Cooley's and I'm just a little over a week post-transplant (about 1400 grafts).

I have only good things to say about my experience. Obviously, it's too early to tell how my final results will look, but I have a very high opinion of how the procedure was conducted.

I was in the chair from around 9 to after 5, with a few breaks. I didn't mind the time...in fact I appreciated Dr. Cooley and his staff for being very meticulous. But even though there was attention to detail, the atmosphere was friendly and laid-back. While I wouldn't say it was fun, it wasn't bad at all.

As someone else mentioned, the staff is pretty young, but they've all been with Dr. Cooley for several years, and I found them to be a well-coordinated team.

I'm a local, and I had planned to visit several Charlotte-area doctors before deciding on one. After visiting Dr. Cooley's office, I felt comfortable going with him.

So far, I'm very happy with my decision. During the one-week "clean-up" everything looked good and I'm confident that I'll be very pleased with the final results.