Post-transplant, are you supposed to take Minoxidil, etc.?

BigBrother

Hey guys, this is sort of a backwards question:

I've considered getting hair transplant down the road. In the meantime, my hair is very gradually thinning at the hairline and crown, but nothing terribly noticeable yet.

I've tried some of the shampoos on Amazon without much success (not a surprise to many on you here, I'm sure).

The next step would be Rogaine/Minoxidil, but I'm hesitant to go down even that path. I know there is a slight risk of hair loss from it (many on here would probably say there's no risk at all, not sure). To put it mildly though, topicals are absolutely as far as I'm willing to go right now- nothing internal like fin.

Ok, that's the scenario.

Recently my friend came to town and he had had transplant surgery in the past year. Looked pretty good. I noticed he was now applying Rogaine, and I asked him "oh, how long is that for?" and he goes "life."

So I need to know after a transplant, what are you usually expected to keep taking? Because (and here's the crux of the question) if I'm slated to be on it for the rest of my life anyway, there's no logical reason not to start on it now pre-surgery and reap the benefits.. right?

Thanks all!

If your buddy had native hairs in the recipient area, He will likely try to keep those from miniaturizing/falling with minoxidil. A lot of doctors recommend to use minoxidil after a ht for a year or two to help the new grafts grow. Kind of a fertilizer if you will. Your new grafts generally don't need any thing. They are not susceptible dht. Just as they weren't in the old donor area. I personally am using it. I will probably use it for a long time just in case the rear of my crown starts to go. I also have some native hairs left. As far as starting on it before surgery....Depends how far in advance your surgery is. My doctor wanted me off it a month prior. Minoxidil and some other medications will cause more bleeding during the procedure. I started back on it ten days later.

Dr.Gabel 3972 FUT 11/3/14

Progress/Results Below ;)

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/177388-3972-fut-dr-gabel.html

Why afraid of Fin?

Combination of Minoxidil and Finasteride appears to increase results also study indicates that topical minoxidil along with Fin leads to better hair growth.

Remember Combination thereapy is thrice as effective as any one of them.

Better research more on Fin..

Good luck!