Recommendations for Strip Scar Repair Docs

Hey guys,

As the thread suggests I'm hoping to get some recommendations of doctors for strip scar repair.

I've previously had a 2100 graft FUE & a 2600 graft FUT. Fortunately my strip scar is fairly thin, the downside however is that [Despite Fin + Minox] the hair loss is progressing & in 2-3 years will probably be time to buzz it off.

As I live in Australia travel is virtually a give in. I know some of the best FUE work comes out of Turkey but I haven't been able to get a response on whether they do FUE into the scar.

Any recommendations would be much appreciated.

Cheers.

Assuming;

- you have a thin scar ear-to-ear scar and there are no 'fat patches'

- you are not looking for a scar revision, where a thin strip is taken and the wound is re-closed with the intention of thinning it.

All of the good FUE people should be able to help you. My advise would be to seek out;

a) doc-done manual extraction FUE

b) a doc-done mechanical extraction FUE

c) a tech-done mechanical extraction

in that order and see how the prices work out.

Some will suggest;

a) beard hair

b) body hair

It might not be a bad option, especially if you look good with a buzzed head and want to you use what remains of your precious grafts for further FUE work. However, growth with body hair might not be as good and beard hair extraction can cost more (heals extremely well, however)

Don't assume;

-that FUE into the scar can completely hide the scar...one strategy is to 'break up' the scar by heavily hitting certain patches but the problem with this is that growth is unpredictable.

-that the doc/reps will not try to talk you into another strip instead, in order to address the 'problem area'. I have first hand experience of this and paid the price.

- if this happens all bets are off, your scar will be better in patches and can be worse in others.

Have you done a trial buzz to assess the damage? If you have a lady in your life, you can get some of her eye-brow stuff and apply it to the area in advent of disaster.

I'm sure Turkey and India have options that could suit.

Good luck. Aussie is a bad place for HTs and to go bald! correction- any place sucks!

Look into SMP but wait at least 12 months post-HT

Edited by scar5
extras

Assuming;

- you have a thin scar ear-to-ear scar and there are no 'fat patches'

- you are not looking for a scar revision, where a thin strip is taken and the wound is re-closed with the intention of thinning it.

All of the good FUE people should be able to help you. My advise would be to seek out;

a) doc-done manual extraction FUE

b) a doc-done mechanical extraction FUE

c) a tech-done mechanical extraction

in that order and see how the prices work out.

Some will suggest;

a) beard hair

b) body hair

It might not be a bad option, especially if you look good with a buzzed head and want to you use what remains of your precious grafts for further FUE work. However, growth with body hair might not be as good and beard hair extraction can cost more (heals extremely well, however)

Don't assume;

-that FUE into the scar can completely hide the scar...one strategy is to 'break up' the scar by heavily hitting certain patches but the problem with this is that growth is unpredictable.

-that the doc/reps will not try to talk you into another strip instead, in order to address the 'problem area'. I have first hand experience of this and paid the price.

- if this happens all bets are off, your scar will be better in patches and can be worse in others.

Have you done a trial buzz to assess the damage? If you have a lady in your life, you can get some of her eye-brow stuff and apply it to the area in advent of disaster.

I'm sure Turkey and India have options that could suit.

Good luck. Aussie is a bad place for HTs and to go bald! correction- any place sucks!

Look into SMP but wait at least 12 months post-HT

Thanks for the response. My hair loss is actually an a pattern [Front to back] so from what I've heard [Re: Docs] it's unlikely that the sides/crown ever get too bad. Unfortunately the frontal area requires a bucket load of grafts.

Regarding the scar it's fortunately very thin [Albeit a little elevated].

Considering I have a time limit on my hair density I would probably opt to thicken the hair line in the same treatment [With FUE] and get a good 2-3 years with seemingly thick hair until it's time to say sayonara.

Beard hair sounds like a great option. I imagine once buzzed to a number 1 or 2 the beard hair wouldn't seem too out of place in comparison to the native hair?

Btw: Prior to my second HT I figured I'd give a shaved head with SMP a try. To the naked eye it was seemingly undetectable but I definitely noticed bleeding of the ink Especially in the [tiny] FUE scars which they tried to cover. The other issue is hair growth, you really did need to stay on top of the shaving. If you went a day without a shave [Whether due to holidays etc] the contrast between native hair became very obvious.

Australia for HT does suck unfortunately. I've found on both occasions the 20+ hour flights are far worse than the actual treatment.