1,800 FUT in temples and hairline - how long until the dreaded redness goes away?

GuitarBoy

When I get my HT done, how long until the awful raw redness goes away?

I'm very fair skinned, and my skin is super sensitive to everything. So I think I should prepare for the worst - just not sure what that would be. A month? Longer? I want to know how long until it will look like I have had nothing done.

I have a conservative job, so wearing a hat at work isn't an option... I need to strategically think about how much time off I will need...and I don't want to underestimate it - I've heard some docs say it will be fine by ten days....not so sure I believe this.

My existing hair in the recipient area would just about (with careful styling) cover where the redness will be, but some of this will have to be shaved on the day, thus making it very unlikely that I can fully hide the redness with existing hair.

Thoughts/comments...?

A lot of it is dependent on your complexion - I am fair skinned also and it was a good two months before my redness subsided.

You probably need a good alternate excuse if you feel you have to explain it, ie:

Got too close to Mom's Bacon Grease on the stove

Kids buried me up to the neck in the sand at the beach

Allergic reaction to my girlfriend's makeup

I had Lice

People are surprisingly forgiving and really only care about how they look ;)

I'm serious.  Just look at my face.

My Hair Regimen: Lather, Rinse, Repeat.

Yeah, it varies person to person. I had a decent amount of redness for the first month and a half for sure. By two months, it was much less noticeable and to the point where I wasn't self conscious about it anymore.

And there's no way you can wear a professional looking cap to work, even with a brilliant story about some kind of bizarre medical situation that requires you to keep your head covered? Worked for me... :)

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My views/opinions are my own and don't necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.

Check out my hair loss website for photos

FUE surgery by Dr. Mohebi on 7/31/14
2,001 grafts - Ones: 607; Twos: 925; Threes: 413; Fours: 56

It can vary from patient to patient and some I have seen zero redness at 2 weeks and a few patients I have seen some lingering pinkness around the 5-6 month just in the hairline, this was on very pale skinned guys.

There is no guarantees I can give you but it will unlikely be a concern or a sign that you have had work done. For the areas that you can't cover by sweeping your hair forward there is foundation make up which can work wonders. So many people I speak to worry about this situation but in reality it is rarely a problem when it comes to it.

---

Former patient and representative for Hasson & Wong.

Dr. Victor Hasson and Dr. Jerry Wong are esteemed members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

My opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of Hasson & Wong.

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Hasson

It can vary from patient to patient and some I have seen zero redness at 2 weeks and a few patients I have seen some lingering pinkness around the 5-6 month just in the hairline, this was on very pale skinned guys.

There is no guarantees I can give you but it will unlikely be a concern or a sign that you have had work done. For the areas that you can't cover by sweeping your hair forward there is foundation make up which can work wonders. So many people I speak to worry about this situation but in reality it is rarely a problem when it comes to it.

Thanks for all the input.

I'm still unsure how much of my existing hair on the front will be shaved off, but how long after the surgery before I can try to style it as normal? At least to see what it looks like and whether foundation will be necessary.

Speaking of foundation, are there any particular brands that are recommended to work well in that area?

Any foundation will work but you need to make sure the colour is a match for your skin tone. I would source this in advance of the surgery you may have to make a visit to the make up counter to get the best match so be brave :)

---

Dr. Victor Hasson and Dr. Jerry Wong are esteemed members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

My opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of Hasson & Wong.

Any foundation will work but you need to make sure the colour is a match for your skin tone. I would source this in advance of the surgery you may have to make a visit to the make up counter to get the best match so be brave :)

Ok thanks for the advice.

I am fair skinned, but I will tan a little in the sun without burning. Too much sun and I will be verrrry red though, so I have to be careful.

What's the consensus on getting a bit of a tan on my face pre surgery? I'm not in a warm climate so this would involve a couple of visits to a sunbed.....

Getting a tan helps before surgery just don't overdo it and burn your scalp.

Good luck.

---