Ashley & Martin or PRP Injections? Which is safer in my early 20's?

WAYNED1991

Hi guys.

I am 23 and have been suffering from hair loss for 3 years now. My hair loss isn't too bad, although I have a bald spot on the back of my head and the top is starting to recede.

I am thinking of doing PRP injections but I am not sure if this will work and if it is safe?

On the other hand I am thinking of trying Ashley and Martin as I am entitled to a money back guarantee as opposed to the PRP Injections. I spoke to my doctor about the side effects that Ashley and Martin have and I don't know if I want to suffer these effects at 23.

The Ashley and martin treatment consists of:

- 700ml of Minoxidil+(.01% retinoic acid)

- 90 tablets of Finasteride 5mg

- 360 capsules of Saw Palmetto (3200 mg)

I only got told that the minoxidil will be a problem if I've had skin conditions, which I haven't so I'm not too worried about that. On the other hand, the finasteride can potentially give me testosterone problems. I am worried about having testosterone and sex life problems at such a young age. I wanted to have hair surgery but I was told by numerous hair transplantation centres that 23 is far too young and risky to have surgery.

Is there anybody as young as me who have tried either PRP or Ashley & Martin? What would you advise me to choose? How bad are the side effects? Does any of this actually work? Right now I am honestly contemplating shaving my long thinning hair off completely. As hard as it would be, it seems the safest solution.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Wayne.

I did Ashley and Martin back in 1998 when I was visiting Sydney. Although it worked very well I soon found out the products there were selling were all overpriced. You can buy the same products for a lot cheaper.

That is my opinion.

Good luck!

Representative for Hasson & Wong.

Dr. Victor Hasson and Dr. Jerry Wong are esteemed members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

My opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of Hasson & Wong.

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Hasson

I too fell into this many years ago including the dreaded Advanced Hair scheme. Nothing you could not procure yourself my friend as Lorenzo said.

That totally rhymed.

"The road to success is always under construction"

:cool: I represent Dr Rahal and the associated clinic as a paid patient advisor.

I am also here to assist fellow Australian/NZ Hair Loss sufferers both on and off the forum.

Hair Transplant Surgery:

June 3rd 2011

2800 Grafts to frontal 1/3

By Dr Rahal in Ottawa, Canada

Current Hair Loss Arsenal:

Dutas .5mg every day 1.5 years and Proscar 5mg (Cut into 1/4): x1 Daily 10 years

Hair-A-Gain Generic Minox: x2 Daily 13 years

(Applied wet in mornings)

Other Random products put to use during my hair loss battle (not in use):

Spiro Cream 5mg

Minox 15%

Dr Proctor's Nano Shampoo

Various Herbal supplements

Toppik/ Nanogen

Saw Palmetto

Provillus - LOL

Nanogen Shampoo

Laser Treatments (Epic Fail)

10 long years of HT and general HL research.:cool:

*I am not a medical professional, I only offer my own advice from personal experiences and years of detailed research*

Wayne,

I couldn't agree with lorenzo and MusoInOz more if I tried.

I was like you and at the age of 24 I approached this same company. I went on exactly the same treatment program you have described with good results and fortunately zero side effects. I stayed with them for eleven years until I began to wonder if the meds were still working and started to consider surgery as my only real option to restore my hair.

While researching surgery options I came across this website and others and discovered I had spent so much money over eleven years that I could have avoided if I was given the advise to look elsewhere.

Bottom line... there are cheaper options available to get the same meds and achieve the same results. After HT surgery I kept on the same meds at a fraction of the cost.

Thanks heaps James. Believe me you've helped.

The thing is I saw a doctor recently and basically she said that I might be safer with Ashley & Martin rather than buying from somewhere else as they could potentially be dangerous if buying elsewhere. I figured that she was right as Ashley & Martin are a company and they would not give bad meds.

If this is BS, could you recommend where I could get the laser treatment and meds somewhere cheaper that A&M provide. If I do go ahead with A&M or PRP Injections I am guaranteed to be spending $3000 for next year and I am only guaranteed money back with A&M

Oh James and also, how much did you spend on your hair surgery? Also do you still have pain from the hair surgery you had? some guy I saw on this forum said he's 24 and has had 2 hair transplants and he still has pain to this day and it wasn't worth doing it despite his now full head of hair.

Dear James,

Ashley and Martin do not use the same topical medication that you can get from your chemist. The 7% minoxidil + .01% retinoic acid is compounded by our pharmacy team under prescription for your usage only. The solution has a 3 times higher absorption factor than your typical 5% versions. This is why we have a full money back guarantee on this form of treatment.

Ashley and Martin is also one of the largest suppliers of surgical providers in Australia. We try to avoid surgical options however for many cases the patients hair loss is regressed further than what medical options can treat.

Long term costs for our patients on our medical program works out to be $160.00 per month after the initial program.

With regards to PRP injections. We are very unsure about this procedure. A large scale clinical trial is be concluded at the end of this year. If the trial does show a benefit to our patients then as the largest hair loss company in Australia and New Zealand we would be crazy not to adopt the system. To date though, all other trials seem to show a benefit during a hair transplant but not as a stand alone treatment option.

If you have any further questions please do not hesitate to contact us.

Regards

Richard

Wayne,

I’d say your doctor has given you good general advice. The reality is that buying anything online has an element of risk and you remove this risk by going to a company like A&M, this risk can also be reduced by spending time doing a little research. There is no way A&M would provide bad meds and you are almost certainly guaranteed results with them. I believe they market a 98% success rate. It doesn’t matter where you get your meds from if they are of the same quality and dosage etc and everything else is equal it stands to reason you will achieve the same results.

This is how I see it:

1) Proceed with A&M and have a 98% chance you will get results with and pay whatever they end up charging for their treatment. 2% chance you will not get results and they refund your money.

2) Research and undertake your own equivalent treatment plan for far less cost and the same chance of results saving you a lot of money. Same chance you will not get results but have to write of the cost of this option with no refund.

You need to decide whether you prefer to have a professional organisation manage your treatment and pay the premium that comes with that or are you comfortable enough to manage your own treatment plan and save money? The cost needs to be considered but shouldn’t be the only deciding factor.

For me, I took the second option and I’m glad I did but at the end of the day you need to weigh up your options.

Please ensure you keep an open mind with the option of obtaining your own medication mate.

Don't rely on hype advertising.

Cheers,

"The road to success is always under construction"

:cool: I represent Dr Rahal and the associated clinic as a paid patient advisor.

I am also here to assist fellow Australian/NZ Hair Loss sufferers both on and off the forum.

Hair Transplant Surgery:

June 3rd 2011

2800 Grafts to frontal 1/3

By Dr Rahal in Ottawa, Canada

Current Hair Loss Arsenal:

Dutas .5mg every day 1.5 years and Proscar 5mg (Cut into 1/4): x1 Daily 10 years

Hair-A-Gain Generic Minox: x2 Daily 13 years

(Applied wet in mornings)

Other Random products put to use during my hair loss battle (not in use):

Spiro Cream 5mg

Minox 15%

Dr Proctor's Nano Shampoo

Various Herbal supplements

Toppik/ Nanogen

Saw Palmetto

Provillus - LOL

Nanogen Shampoo

Laser Treatments (Epic Fail)

10 long years of HT and general HL research.:cool:

*I am not a medical professional, I only offer my own advice from personal experiences and years of detailed research*

Richard I was really happy with the service of Ashley and Martin. To me it was all top notch. I remember the manager (Sydney) was a character. He was an east indian fellow that wore a toupee. I think his name was Sony I am sure he isn't there anymore because back them in must have been close to 60.

I used it for over 2 years but found the same results using Dr. Lee formula and proscar. Back them they did not prescribe proscar only saw paletto. How much is the introduction price now? I think I paid around $2000 but I did not remember.

Representative for Hasson & Wong.

Dr. Victor Hasson and Dr. Jerry Wong are esteemed members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

My opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of Hasson & Wong.

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Hasson

Hello Lorenzo,

As you have been through an initial program then depending on your present medical condition you would be looking at around $160.00 per month for everything (all meds including 7%minoxidil + .01% retinoic acid and Finasteride, laser, hygiene (NO Sulphates) and Saw Pals and ongoing service by our doctor and your consultant) we will take photos every 4 months to monitor your situation as well.

Regards

Richard.

Hi there Ashley and Martin. But what are the side effects that some of your clients have suffered?

I have already had a free consultation, and the salesperson at A&M went over everything with me however I am afraid of running the risk of having sex life side effects & the potential chance of depression in my early 20's.. I went and saw my doctor about this and she basically told me there is a good chance that Ashley and Martin or any other place that provides finasteride, etc for hair loss will give me a risk of side effects.

I also read that 98% of people consume this without suffering side effects and 2% of people do?

I am extremely worried after reading some forums of people using Ashley and Martin and Finasteride who have suffered side effects and even after they stopped taking the drug, they still suffered the side effects? I love to exercise and lift weights alot and I do not want to run the risk of these drugs ruining my health or physique.

I honestly do not want to lose my hair at 23 but after writing this, I feel I will feel safer having a shaved head

The internet is a great tool for research however it also does provide an avenue for everyone to post comment, regardless of agenda or belief.

The only thing that we can use as the correct answer is the actual statistics in regards to side effects noted. We have prescribed around 17,000,000 Finasteride tablets since inception in 1996. To date we have not had one long term side effect noted. Finasteride is a fantastic medication if it is prescribed correctly and the patient understands the full profile of the medication.

Here is a very balanced piece on Finasteride.

http://www.the-dermatologist.com/content/does-finasteride-lead-permanent-sexual-side-effects

Our biggest problem is allergic reaction with the topicals. We have eight different versions due to skin issues. This happens in around 1% of cases however due to our high numbers of patients we have to deal with this on a daily basis.

The 2% failure rate is not really due to the patient having a side effect, it is simply that the program is not getting us more hair back.

• 2 weeks later...

Okay I just had to comment on this thread. To date there are only two FDA approved medications to treat hair loss: propecia (finasteride 1mg) and rogaine (minoxidil solution).

I am from the UK and have never heard of this particular company, but we have similar companies here. They claim that they have additional treatments and treatment programmes that are better than propecia and rogaine, but the reality is there is no where near enough evidence for them. In addition, adding saw palmetto to propecia could potentially increase side effects.

My advice is go to your family doctor and ask for a prescription for propecia and buy rogaine 5% foam from your local pharmacy. Don't bother with anything else as there is not enough evidence and people are just trying to take your money.

Propecia since July 2008

2201 Grafts with Dr Lorenzo on 19.10.22 - See my write up here: