Can you get more grafts with an FUT/FUE combination than with FUE alone?

Hi Olmert!

In short, I would say both procedures can compliment one another in obtaining most possible grafts, also both are limiting in some respects.

There are many cases spread throughout this board and others presenting FUT/FUE combo outcomes, and they look great!

FUE has really taken a strong step forward over the past few years and the option of FUE mega type sessions have really changed the game IMO. That said, FUE can really only go so far with harvesting.

Should I go back for additional procedures I would be honestly investigation the options of FUE over FUT (purely due to my personal hair style). I have a FUT scar from the harvesting of 2800(ish) grafts, am I unhappy with the scar…no way!

FUT, to this day still stands as an excellent and feasible option for many patients, if you intend to keep your hair longer (so above an inch) then FUT is no issue.

If you prefer the shaved or faded look then maybe FUT is not for you.

I wear my hair in a fade old school slick style shaved down to a #2 guard…no signs of my linear scar! I will post a picture for you.

It all comes down the factors of your situation, your donor type, the sought physician, your wallet (yes, I said it) what you would like to achieve etc etc.

I may have responded to this in a very round about way, sorry mate J

Regards,

Mike.

"The road to success is always under construction"

:cool: I represent Dr Rahal and the associated clinic as a paid patient advisor.

I am also here to assist fellow Australian/NZ Hair Loss sufferers both on and off the forum.

Hair Transplant Surgery:

June 3rd 2011

2800 Grafts to frontal 1/3

By Dr Rahal in Ottawa, Canada

Current Hair Loss Arsenal:

Dutas .5mg every day 1.5 years and Proscar 5mg (Cut into 1/4): x1 Daily 10 years

Hair-A-Gain Generic Minox: x2 Daily 13 years

(Applied wet in mornings)

Other Random products put to use during my hair loss battle (not in use):

Spiro Cream 5mg

Minox 15%

Dr Proctor's Nano Shampoo

Various Herbal supplements

Toppik/ Nanogen

Saw Palmetto

Provillus - LOL

Nanogen Shampoo

Laser Treatments (Epic Fail)

10 long years of HT and general HL research.:cool:

*I am not a medical professional, I only offer my own advice from personal experiences and years of detailed research*

I should add:

Response to procedures should be factored in, I have seen cases of FUT success and not FUE on the same patient and vice versa.

To choose which is the best option for an intial game plan, it would depend on your situation dude, throw up a pic for us to review :)

Good luck my friend!

Mike.

:cool: I represent Dr Rahal and the associated clinic as a paid patient advisor.

I am also here to assist fellow Australian/NZ Hair Loss sufferers both on and off the forum.

Hair Transplant Surgery:

June 3rd 2011

Dutas .5mg every day 1.5 years and Proscar 5mg (Cut into 1/4): x1 Daily 10 years

Spiro Cream 5mg

Minox 15%

Toppik/ Nanogen

Saw Palmetto

Provillus - LOL

Nanogen Shampoo

*I am not a medical professional, I only offer my own advice from personal experiences and years of detailed research*

I will try my best to link as these were quite older posts sir. Possibly 2007-2010.

Regards,

Mike.

Hair Transplant Surgery:

June 3rd 2011

Spiro Cream 5mg

Minox 15%

Toppik/ Nanogen

Saw Palmetto

Provillus - LOL

Nanogen Shampoo

Hey mate,

are you able to supply any pre operative photos from the previous FUT session you had?

For your age you still have quite a bit of native hair throughout the frontal third IMO.

Im interested to see your previous placement?

Cheers,

Mike.

Hair Transplant Surgery:

June 3rd 2011

Spiro Cream 5mg

Minox 15%

Toppik/ Nanogen

Saw Palmetto

Provillus - LOL

Nanogen Shampoo

Ah many apologies,

I would say that amount of grafts given the 2012 pictures a bigger session was in order.

This is purely judging on the pictures alone having not seen you in person.

The amount of grafts placed you are saying were more so throughout the vertex to crown I'm guessing? It is a much harder area to cover usually resulting in larger procedures.

So your presumption of the 2400 you had placed not doing much is kind of accurate.

Hairline is a different story as your direct hair line looks pretty good front on mate.

Since you have undergone a FUT procedure I would potentially lean towards stripping out first (or at least speaking with a physician about it) until going for FUE, that said and as I have stated, it is up to you and the physicians preference, skills etc to what the best option is.

Mike.

Hair Transplant Surgery:

June 3rd 2011

Spiro Cream 5mg

Minox 15%

Toppik/ Nanogen

Saw Palmetto

Provillus - LOL

Nanogen Shampoo

What is the advantage to stripping out before going FUE? I thought they can do FUE on areas far away from the strip, and then do FUT later.

As for the first FUT, I went to a doctor who normally does not do more than 2450. He is recommended here, but he is not a mega session doc. The doctor did not want to put hair in the front. He told me I am going to continue receding in the front, and it could look bad to recede around the transplants. He did fill the receding hair line on the sides.

The argument made sense to me at the time, but now looking back, I think grafts are wasted on any place except the front hair line. The front hair line is what you see. On top, I can put Couvre make up to hide the balding. I can't do that in the front.

I have created a VERY make shift example of a close up donor of both the FUT and FUE post and pre op, this will come across as an insult to some others intellect it is only to help with my explanation. Have a good ol’ laugh at it J

To follow up, I would not say there is any particular set strong advantage or disadvantage of each procedure as they both have merits and limitations. I mentioned that since you have started down the FUT path it would be something most physicians recommend continue (depending on clinic etc) The session size will be the clinker though. FUE has progressed a lot over the past few years into mega session meaning covering an area such as yours is somewhat possible with great results.

A physician would certainly harvest from the sides but also the lower back which is the most common start point. If you were to now skip from FUT to FUE and require a larger session, there is no doubt the Dr would harvest from this section and sides. The problem may be that once you have harvested the maximum amount of FUE before the “moth” look occurs you have taken up much of the useable donor for an additional FUT procedure should you want or need one. The density is lowered with FUE which can reveal a linear scar much easier also, I would assume most Docs will avoid the area of incision but would be something to think through.

So, FUE first would lower density, scars then (possibly) can be revealed depending on pre mapping.

FUT first with good laxity can leave FUE procedures in better function later on in the game IMO.

Remember FUT although far more invasive will remove that section of skin leaving the density somewhat normal looking…again depending on if shock loss occurs etc.

I am in no way advocating either way, these are situations I have though out over the years should I ever jump into the chair. I have been through a similar size situation and although I am much younger with more native hair it is still a similar story.

Apologies if I am not making sense it has been a long morning.

Please remover the small diagrams I have provided are semi exaggerated.

The original plan you physician had argued to use was not usual I don’t believe, most would opt for the frontal region moving toward the crown in your case.

And it was on Word. I am no graphic designer. Some one lend me Adobe Photoshop so I can practice.

L

Mike.

FUT.pdf

FUE Procedure.pdf

FUTFUE.pdf

Hair Transplant Surgery:

June 3rd 2011

Spiro Cream 5mg

Minox 15%

Toppik/ Nanogen

Saw Palmetto

Provillus - LOL

Nanogen Shampoo

MusoInOz writes: "If you were to now skip from FUT to FUE and require a larger session, there is no doubt the Dr would harvest from this section and sides."

Can't I tell the FUE doc that I will get FUT later, and ask him not to harvest from the FUT area?

It will really depend on the session size you have with FUE mate, in theory you could do this. Say you need over 3000 grafts and you approach the sides only, there is realistically only so much the sides can handle and be harvested.

Mike.

Hair Transplant Surgery:

June 3rd 2011

Spiro Cream 5mg

Minox 15%

Toppik/ Nanogen

Saw Palmetto

Provillus - LOL

Nanogen Shampoo