Scabs on donor scar

Quick Q for you guys.

I'm 2 months post op and have been leaving my donor to grow quite long so haven't really examined my scar in any great detail. Today to my surprise I noticed there are still quite a few small scabs on the scar. Not what I was expecting at 2 months. Should I work these scabs off and is this unusual or anything to be concerned about?

Quick Q for you guys.

I'm 2 months post op and have been leaving my donor to grow quite long so haven't really examined my scar in any great detail. Today to my surprise I noticed there are still quite a few small scabs on the scar. Not what I was expecting at 2 months. Should I work these scabs off and is this unusual or anything to be concerned about?

Yes. Try to get them off gently.

Not too sure, but I think this might be extra-ordinary (having scabs at this time).

Other members will have to comment.

take care...

Fookinghair,

This isn't surprising. Scabs will appear on the donor scar on and off for months. The reason for this is usually because hair is trying to grow through the scar and sometimes causes a pimple, blood, and then a scab. Unlike the recipient area, it's usually not as noticeable visually, so it takes long to notice them.

Things take time to heal. So hang in there.

Best wishes,

Bill

I've had scars on the donor scar for several months and I still do get them (4.5 months postop at the moment). It bothered me at first thinking that the wound hasn't closes properly but it's just hairs poking through the skin.

Sometimes folks will have a suture reaction and depending on the type of sutures used the reaction can vary. If you had absorbable (aka dissolving) sutures, your body could be "spitting" the suture, even at this late time. I won't go into huge details, but let us know what type of closure was used and maybe that could help us help you... :-)

Jessica

HT Coordinator

Limmer HTC

Dr. Brad Limmer is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians