What's the general expected rate of hair growth for transplants?

I've researched everywhere I can imagine for probably nearly 2 years now, but there's just extremely different answers from every surgeon.

I've found surgeons saying that 50% growth is expected at 6 months, while others saying that 70-90% is what you should have from others on Realself. Other surgeons seem to include how 'mature' the hair is in their answers as well.

Is there a general expectation of how many of your hairs should have at least popped out of the scalp by 6 months or so?

This is the rule of thumb we subscribe to.

3 months - 10%

4 months - 25%

5 months - 40%

6 months - 60%

7 months - 70%

8 months - 75%

9 months - 80%

10 months - 90%

11 months - 95%

12 months - 98%

18 months - 100%

David - Former Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant

I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my Hair Loss Website

This is the rule of thumb we subscribe to.

3 months - 10%

4 months - 25%

5 months - 40%

6 months - 60%

7 months - 70%

8 months - 75%

9 months - 80%

10 months - 90%

11 months - 95%

12 months - 98%

18 months - 100%

I roughly agree with this rule.

However there are two points that I would like to add.

The first one is that growth at the frontal area is faster than at the crown. I think the above chart is closer to the speed of the frontal part and the crown follows on average 3 months later.

The second point is mentioning the 'slow growers', who I didn't believe much until recently. I still think that some patients who eventually have low growth are called slow growers by clinics who don't want to admit failure. Usually when I don't see about 60-70% growth at 6 months I assume that I am in trouble. However I have had a couple of patients who reported close to no growth at 6 months and 70-80% growth at 9 months. I am not sure if these should be called slow growers as the definition is actually meant for patients with a constant delay to actually see most growth between 9-18 months. The patients I mention have a frighteningly low growth in the first 6 months and actually catch up at around 9 months. I thought it would be useful to mention these variations in growth.

Ali Emre Karadeniz, MD (Dr. K)

AEK Hair Institute

Istanbul, Turkey

• 6 months later...

Couldn't agree more Balding bogger funny what your eyes want you to see I always saw your username as balding blogger but the George Michael avatar makes sense now :)

I just linked to this thread as a probably the best advice on timescales that I have seen. Totally agree with Dr Karadeniz too.

---

Former patient and representative for Hasson & Wong.

Dr. Victor Hasson and Dr. Jerry Wong are esteemed members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

My opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of Hasson & Wong.

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Hasson

• 2 weeks later...