Martial Arts after Fue Hair Transplant

Hi guys,

I know you can start normal exercise two weeks post ok but when is it ok to do intense physical activity like martial arts, is 4 weeks ok ?.

Does doing intense exercise affect how the transplanted grafts grow ?

Finally what happens if you take a knock or kick to the head when training, does it affect the hair transplant ?

I'm gonna be a bit cautious and start around 6-7 weeks post op but will not spar and stuff so shouldn't have any problems with getting hit on the head.

I wouldn't mind knowing if three months is the actual point at which everything is safe to do or is just a cautious view, I mean what would happen if you banged your head at week 2 or something, will it affect the growth of the transplanted hairs.

A big part of the concern post-op is related to the strip scar if you have FUHT.

The concern is putting undue strain, pressure, or tension in that area. Even though the outer layer of scalp is healed, the inside dermal layer takes longer to heal, up to eight weeks on average.

Judo for example would be a huge no-no because of the various holds and throws that are involved.

Lost grafts are of no concern at this point in time post-op.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

I would be very careful with sports with holds -- ie. jiu jitsu, wrestling, judo. The scar might not open up and start bleeding, but you have to also be cautious of scar stretching. The incision site will never have the same tensile strength as uncut skin.

I would consider waiting longer. Losing a year of training is nothing compared to a bad scar. Unless I was in the UFC or fought professionally, I would feel silly permanently altering my appearance for a hobby.

Perhaps a good time to focus on strength development, isometrics and technique. Leave the grappling, hard sparring, and ground work for later.

Gill was referring to the donor area.

Thanks for your informative reply Gillenator, your point about the dermal layer, is that referring to the donor or recipient area ?

You're welcome my friend.

I was referring to the donor area (occipital zone) where the sutures are located.

This is not an issue with FUE because there is no strip scar to potentially stretch.

Gillenator

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Hi,

I completed my two months about 5 days back and i started going to gym and weight lifiting. Not heavy though. Is it fine to continue with it ?

Cheers :)

IMHO, any type of activity that puts tension on the strip scar is not good.

If you had strip, I would give it 12 weeks before doing any real "heavy" weightlifting.

Gillenator

Hmm.. Then I should refrain from doing some lifting. Even crunches falls in this category I suppose.

Cheers!

Yep, crunches, squats, shoulder and back routines all potentially create tension in the donor zone.

Sit-ups especially create tension on the strip scar...:eek:

Gillenator

Hi gillenator, when will you advise someone that has a strip procedure to start light exercise like running and push-ups? Thanks!

IMHO, running in itself does not put tension in the donor zone, but I would stay away from push-ups and sit-ups for at least 4 months post-op.

Gillenator