Can seborrheic dermatitis affect hair transplant results?

Hi guys, I'm new to this forum. I'm planning on getting a hair transplant with Dr Reddy in about 6 months time, and just wanted to know if having this scalp condition would affect the overall results of a HT? The itching can be quite bad, but the redness and scaling are both quite mild.

I also just started propecia last week, and use nizoral shampoo for both dermatitis, and mpb. I'm around a norwood 2.5 with diffuse thinning around the hairline.

Many thanks!

-Matt

Matt,

I see that you just joined this community and this is your first post...;)

This condition has a wide range of results regarding those individuals who have SD whether they did or did not have a HT procedure. Some of the more acute cases have stated more irritable scalps post-op, and some with regrowth concerns. Others have no issues at all.

To my knowledge and observation, SD has varying stages or degrees, some more severe than others. So it really depends on how successful you are in maintaining a low level of irritation.

I trust that you are in the care of a dermatologist first and foremost.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

Hi Gill, and thank you for your reply!

So some individuals suffering from acute SD and MPB who have carried out a hair transplant have had no problems what so ever? I've had chronic mild SD for a while now, and seen countless dermatologists, but all they could really do for me was prescribe me medical shampoos and topical ointments, which do help take the inflammation down. Right now its only slightly red around the hairline, nothing major, but the itch is still a nuisance. I really hope that it wont effect my future HT results, its quite worrying. :(

Your are welcome my friend. This condition can potentially be treated successfully and yet at the same time has different stages that are unpredictable.

Because your situation is not severe, my premonition is that your procedure in terms of yield, etc., will be fine.

You might IMHO experience some redness within the recipient and donor area post-op that may give you some challenges. Again, it's hard to say and no way to predict it.

Just offering you some past observations from other guys that I have heard from over the years with a similar SD situation as yours.

I wish you the best in your results...;)

Gillenator

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

I recently had a problem in my crown area that believe was related to regaine and hairspray use causing inflammation.

While in the US I got a product called Scalpecin which is a liquid hydrocortisone. It worked wonders and completely removed all redness and scaling.

It may not be for regular use but maybe you should ask Dr Reddy about similar hydrocortisone based products. I do know that they are not for prolonged use due to possible thinning of the skin, but it might be something you could do prior to surgery.

I have also had minor SD on the face and hairline and was prescribed Daktakort which worked really well.

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day

sure seborrheic dermatitis can affect hair transplant results. when not controlled properly the number of hairs in the telogen phase which is the resting cycle increases. u want growing hairs not resting hairs if u want density.

ur condition itself does not cause hair loss but not treating it properly can contribute to hair loss and growing hairs that have been transplanted.

u shud use anti-dandruff shampoo 3-5 times a week for 6-8 weeks leading up to the HT and then continuing 2-3 weeks after the HT. zinc pyrithione shampoo can help reduce the yeast which reduces inflammation.

• 2 weeks later...

Lots of good information being provided...;)

Gillenator