Redness after a Hair Transplant

It varies from person to person. From my personal experience the recipient area healed miles quicker then the donor area. The donor area on the other hand I suffered from pimples coming and going for up to 6 months. The redness on donor area subsided after 2 weeks.

Using a mixture of betadine ointment and water helps reducing the redness and minimise the risk of infection

The redness in the recipient area tends to slowly go away over the course of 6-12 months or so. I'm 4 months out from FUE and the redness is probably 70% diminished, but the remaining 30% is still quite noticeable.

my redness was all gone with 3 weeks, but had pimples in the donor area up to 9 months later

June 2013 - 3000 FUE Dr Bhatti

Oct 2013 - 1000 FUE Dr Bhatti

Oct 2015 - 785 FUE Dr Bhatti

Dr. Bhatti's Recommendation Profile on the Hair Transplant Network

My story and photos can be seen here

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/Sethticles/

• 3 weeks later...

As these guys have said, it really seems to vary person to person. I'm about 2 months out from FUE and the donor area has practically completely healed. I still get a pimple/bump or two from time to time, but it's not bad. The recipient area, however, is still a bit red. Of course, I notice the redness much more than anyone else does. Even my friends who know I had the transplant tell me the redness is barely noticeable in the front, and even then, only when I point it out. It was around the 6 week mark that the redness reduced enough for me to go out without a hat without being afraid people would notice.

Also, make sure you keep your scalp clean. That will help with the redness/pimples for sure. After wearing a hat, exercising, etc. make sure to shower/wash your scalp as soon as possible. I noticed if I went to the gym and waited a few hours after to shower, that's when the redness/pimples would get worse. Just an FYI.

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My views/opinions are my own and don't necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.

Check out my hair loss website for photos

FUE surgery by Dr. Mohebi on 7/31/14
2,001 grafts - Ones: 607; Twos: 925; Threes: 413; Fours: 56