finesteride after HT

Hey Guys,

I finally took the leap and its my 3rd day post op, after a FUT HT for 4600 grafts.My head is all swollen but no pain.

I have been cautious about post op care and am doing my best to keep my grafts safe.

Prior to HT I was on rogaine and procerin (saw palmetto), with no side effects. My surgeon recommended me to start taking Finasteride for at least 3 months. Is that what you were suggested? Is rogaine and Finestaride the best combination to combat hair loss to maintain existing hair? Will Procerin not work?

The doc also mentioned that he usually does recommend Finestaride to all his patients and lot of them take them and also a lot of them take saw palmetto. Noone seems to have a final verdict as the drug has varied effects on every patient.

Being a biologist I did some research and looks like the side effects have only shown up in 5% of the patients. So I am wondering if you continue taking it or stop taking after a safe period?

Let me know what your thoughts are.

Excited to be a part of this group. Feel free to ask for advise.

Venkz

Rogaine (Minoxidil) and Finasteride remain the best available solutions for slowing down hair loss.

Both need to be used for life in order to retain the benefits they provide.

Procerin is little more than a food supplement I'm afraid.

If you are not likely to progress beyond NW5 and have a good donor area you may be able to 'get away' without using finasteride, just so long as you have reasonable expectations and are prepared to go back for 2 or 3 more transplants.

It's something you will need to weigh up based on age, family hair loss history, and what you might look like if you continue to lose hair.

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day

Yes, I use both.

Unfortunately I experience mild headaches/brain fog using Fin. I just take 1mg a week as even a small dose can reduce DHT levels for several days. I take it in the evening and within 12 hrs the side effects have essentially gone.

I may try to supplement usage by taking a further 0.25mg midweek. You have to find a dose that will work for you.

I can't say for sure whether it is working for me but I have not lost a noticeable amount of hair in over 2 years.

I would suggest to you that if you are starting out then try taking 0.25mg every other day to start with and see how you get on.

1978Matt,

What about sexual side effects? Did you start with 1mg /week since HT?

My doc currently wants me to take 1mg/day, havent had any noticeable side effects in the past 2 weeks but I like your idea of reducing dosage to 1mg/week, Will talk to my PCP about it.

Also was just thinking about doing a hormone level study to understand how much testosterone i have when I take those dosages. I guess that way you could optimize what might work for you.

Venkz

Taking low dosage fin as Matt says will help it is a case of protecting you some of the time if not all of the time. If you are experiencing no sides with 1mg a day after two weeks perhaps you will be fine but I see no reason why you couldn't reduce the dosage to every other day.

---

Former patient and representative for Hasson & Wong.

Dr. Victor Hasson and Dr. Jerry Wong are esteemed members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

My opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of Hasson & Wong.

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Hasson

As venkz111 said " My surgeon recommended me to start taking Finasteride for at least 3 months"

My question is, whats the benefit in taking fin after your HT only for 3 or 6 months??

As venkz111 said " My surgeon recommended me to start taking Finasteride for at least 3 months"

My question is, whats the benefit in taking fin after your HT only for 3 or 6 months??

1978Matt,

What about sexual side effects? Did you start with 1mg /week since HT?

My doc currently wants me to take 1mg/day, havent had any noticeable side effects in the past 2 weeks but I like your idea of reducing dosage to 1mg/week, Will talk to my PCP about it.

Also was just thinking about doing a hormone level study to understand how much testosterone i have when I take those dosages. I guess that way you could optimize what might work for you.

Venkz

No I've been using Fin for about 18 months, starting with just 0.5mg a week and experimenting with a few different schedules: 0.5mg twice a week, 0.5mg 3 times a week, 0.25mg every other day etc. I had hoped the side effects would subside but sadly not.

No, no sexual side effects.

There is some interesting information about dose sizes out there if you search the net and I've seen some good results from people on 0.25mg a day.

Thank you for all your responses.

I am not sure why my doc told me to take fin atleast for 3 months. am guessing to prevent r reduce shock Ioss.

I havent seen any side effects so far.

Will be posting my experience with pics in a different thread.

As of now recovering, day 7 post op. No swelling, slight headache. Suture to be removed on day 13.

Venkz