Fue and redness in the recipient area

Pma

Hi all wondered if you can help after looking at numerous pictures of fue results including the top surgeons Lorenzo, bisanga ect.. I notice the recipient area seems to remain red for quite a long time is this normal for all fue and if so how long does it generally last? Thanks in advance.

Pma,

For what it's worth ive had both a fue and fut procedure. The redness in my recipient area dissipated a few weeks after my fut procedure (done in 2006) and several months later after my fue procedure (done in 2010). It took around 10 mos for the redness to disappear on fue as a matter of fact. Not saying this is the typical disparity but this was in fact my experience.

The degree of redness after a procedure is not relative to the form of extraction used. The recipient site creation can influence this but there may be other issues to consider. Was the second procedure a larger procedure than that of the first? Was more density being attempted in the second than the first? There also could be subdermal scarring from the first procedure that can make the recipient zone red for a longer period.

Photos often exacerbate redness that the natural eye will not see as such and I've met patients in natural light weeks after surgery with no obvious redness and seen photos months later that show redness there not seen in the flesh.

Skin tones play a large part in healing, lighter often take longer, density of placement and proximity of recipient sites cut, and how the patient heals generally. 10 Months is excessive and not the norm but most will see an improvement in the first 2 weeks and then it should get gradually better in the next 3 months and fade but there will always be some exceptions to the rule. I was always back at work at 2 weeks with no real issues at all on any surgery from first to last one.

Sun and other factors can also exacerbate redness so best to see your clinic on specifics of what to do and what to avoid also and some will say to apply aloe vera, witch hazel extract or even use laser combs to help speed up healing also and offer some good hints and tips for this.

I represent Dr. Bisanga.

Dr. Christian Bisanga is recommended on the Hair Transplant Network