Onion after transplant?

I have never actually seen a post or article regarding this specific subject. There are plenty of articles out there regarding onion being applied to the scalp, in which it's high sulfur content aids in blood circulation and hair regrowth. I realize this is intended for people who have lost their hair via alopecia or environmental factors, not MPB.

I personally tried this for the heck of it roughly one year post op out of frustration of the dissapointing result of my transplant. Literally by the next day, I had a couple of those scalp pimples in the transplant area (and only the transplant area). You know...those scalp pimples you get often in the 3-6 post op time frame caused by new hair pushing through the scalp? Tried it again about a month later, same thing with a scalp pimple literally by the next day or two. Tried it again on a few other occasions, same thing just about every time.

So, from my experience, I can personally vouch it is clear that the onion is certainly having an immediate affect on my body, and I would assume a positive one since those scalp pimples are generally a positive sign of new growth, right? And it only occurred in the transplanted area, so it seems logical it was instantly stimulating lagging hair from the transplant?

That brings me to my question. I am scheduled for a 2nd procedure shortly. Could this method of applying onion juice to the scalp after everything is healed possibly be beneficial in speeding up the new growth and/or increasing yield? Or I guess the better question would be could this be harmful to the new grafts in any way if I were to try it?

• 2 weeks later...

This isn't something I'd be personally willing to vouch for. I feel like there would be some legitimate studies proving it worked if it did. There is a user named Britboy that has tried onion and I believe is sticking with it. He may be someone you would want to contact.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

You could rub just about anything on your head and it would cause pimples. Don't waste your time or money on onions!

Why not use Rogaine Foam, the only proven hair growth stimulant?

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day

You could rub just about anything on your head and it would cause pimples. Don't waste your time or money on onions!

Why not use Rogaine Foam, the only proven hair growth stimulant?

Well, the pimples only occurred in the small area of my crown I had a transplant just over a year earlier every time, which I felt was convincing evidence it was helping speed up some lagging grafts from the transplant. Maybe that is not the case at all and just a coincidence.

Maybe I should of worded the initial post better. I am not trying to prevent hair loss, or even regrow hair via the onion. I would not expect that to work. I was mainly looking for insight on whether it could possibly aid in growth/growth time following a transplant which seemed like a plausible theory based on the little research on onion and hair growth I have read. I just had transplant #2 last week. I would be willing to be try this once everything heals up and see if I notice any difference from post op #1 if I could be assured it is not possible to damage the new grafts by doing this which is the answer I was most looking for from this thread.