I am moving forward with my HT

Hello all,

It has been just about a year since my hair transplant so I am uploading some pictures and I would really like some opinions.

I received a total of 3410 grafts with a breakdown of 845 single hair grafts in the hairline and a combination 1885 double & 680 triple.

Now I know going in I was pretty far gone going in. I would say I was an NW5, so I was not expecting miracles to begin with and I do think I look better than before the HT, but I will say I really was hoping for a better result.

I would like some opinions on my final result based on my situation. Also, my question to you is does it look like I got what I paid for? Should I be contacting my Doc about my result?

I took a of pics with the lights and flash on and off to try and get better pics.The first 3 pics are before pics.

Thanks for the input,

before1.jpg.efb233bc27b7b86b668fa89016fbd087.jpg

before2.jpg.f9f2e4d23b4af55da024303191c8fa41.jpg

before3.jpg.01260807a09799ae60aa1cc99974aa06.jpg

1year2.jpg.09017417a01a5f7074365b5f26472b5a.jpg

1year3.jpg.8440adbec41f70cd5f9f44c5cd7969c4.jpg

1year4.jpg.1ce2df95540ab0855a43551f67ae39f4.jpg

1year5.jpg.21240afb8ecfb823172fab28de605d77.jpg

1year6.jpg.f48ab6cb0bb3578d7c3231f6615ac5d7.jpg

1year7.jpg.6fd07eb0c06603f70c83783cbe3ca78e.jpg

1year8.jpg.163cacd870cc360ceb16872a89fd6dc0.jpg

1year9.jpg.ff023e5d9dcb0b7d9e53b014a54c4ed9.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

First day as a member although I have been lurking about for some time gathering up some great information.I must say that I am rather surprised that you did not get any feedback after your one year post.I am sure that is a little discouraging as you have been getting feedback all along. Well as far as I am concerned I think you've progressed quite well. And I have followed your thread right along as we seem to have had the same type of hair loss. I myself am two months post op from an FUT. As far as your situation goes, do you think that is actually the final result? From what I have gathered through my research I would say you probably have another six months to go before you would say that is the final result. Am I wrong about this folks?

I think it's a dissapointing result. It's definitely a cosmetic improvement, but the issue is the doctor never transplanted enough grafts. I can only summize that your scalp laxity wasn't great, donor supply limited, or Dr Charles always planed for multiple procedures?

Regardless, I think you should consult with one of the top FUT surgeons for a 2nd procedure to get you over the finish line. Think Ron Shapiro or H&W as starting points. You were always going to need a mega-session.

Whenever I'm on this site, I feel inclined to underscore the limitations of hair-transplant surgery.

Sadly, many people are disposed to fanboyism; to treating these doctors like rockstars; and to thinking that they can simply waltz in with a NW 4-5-6 pattern and get a great result.

Well, in most cases, it's just not true. And that's because, no matter who your doctor is, there's going to be too little hair to cover the bald space---unless you have outstanding hair characteristics.

Look, optimism is great but not at the expense of realism. The current state of hair-transplant technology is such that the only people who should "expect" to emerge from surgery with a non-balding look are those in the Norwood 2 and 3 classifications.

t00ktheplunge --

One important item with hair transplants is the illusion they create of more density than is actually transplanted (what some others here refer to as the "shingle" effect ) . Generally a transplant is always meant to look better in the face view as opposed to top down view. If you see my pictures , you will see what I am saying. From the front , my density appears near full but when you look at it top down, you can see scalp peeking out through in between the hairs. Nothing wrong with this as in your daily life routine , most people are not going to look at your head from top down anyways.

In your specific case, I do think the hairline needs more work . Your growth actually seems better in the midscalp section than at the very front. Hence the enhancement of the front view is not as much as would otherwise have been. This is why I always believe that whenever you have a big enough virgin bald area to cover, it is always best to go for as big a session as possible to achieve the desired look as otherwise it can mean you are still waiting for that second transplant to get a semblance of normal but balding hair.

What you can do in the meantime is use something like toppik hair fires to bulk up the front , although it will take some decent practice doing that.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

FUT #1, ~ 1600 grafts hairline (Ron Shapiro 2004)

FUT #2 ~ 2000 grafts frontal third (Ziering 2011)

FUT #3 ~ 1900 grafts midscalp (Ron Shapiro early 2015)

FUE ~ 1500 grafts frontal third, side scalp, FUT scar repair --300 beard, 1200 scalp (Ron Shapiro, late 2016)

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/185663-recent-fue-dr-ron-shapiro-prior-fut-patient.html

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In reading over your thread again, the first thing that struck me was your original estimation taht you were a NW IV. I see you've revised that now to a NW V and I'd agree. Given the degree of hair loss, you would most certainly have needed more than 3500 grafts. A loose rule of thumb being 1,000 grafts per NW level.

From what I can see, you got significant growth given the number of grafts but I agree that the hairline should have been fuller.

Did did Dr. Charles discuss with you in terms of a long-term plan? Were you planning for a second pass?

I do think it's a good idea to discuss your concners with him and get his feedback.

David - Former Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant

I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my Hair Loss Website

• 2 weeks later...

Hello all,

Wayniac I do not think that I will get anymore volume, so except for growing my hair longer, which will help give the appearance of thicker hair I am at my final result.

With that being said, I have had something interesting happen to me lately. Since I am about 15 I have always brushed my hair straight back. For those of you from NY (the Guido look). I decided to part it not directly to the side, but sort of on an angle back and to the side. I thought it made it look thicker to me as the HT has grown out. I asked my family that knows about the HT and they thought it looked better and thicker so I have been keeping it this way. Since then I have had a few people comment on my hair and my brother-in-law actually came out asked jokingly if I had a transplant or something because my hair looks different. I just said oh I started styling it differently. He sees me at least a few times a month and this is the first time he noticed a change, so I was actually happy that people are noticing something different.

I have also uploaded some new pictures with less direct light overhead.

Good luck all,

1year10.jpg.3951538242cdd0a94332db6ae0ec8c92.jpg

1year11.jpg.e2a58fdbf5c48501f5112adffe14b01d.jpg

1year12.jpg.75ed7b8336a006ca6193e8f147c67b2f.jpg

Edited by t00ktheplunge