Hey folks, coming up to 14 days post op and I am absolutely bored out my skull. Even on my days off work I enjoy/endure a good workout routine and I'm really wanting to get back in to it.

Dr Bisanga said 2 weeks is enough time for an FUE procedure and I can go back to it after that and I have to say the grafts seem very secure, the redness has all but gone and it even looks like it's growing but I'm maybe erring on the side of caution and giving it another week or until shedding starts.

I do a pretty brutal 25 minute High intensity interval training routine most mornings before breakfast and a week before the procedure I was just getting the hang of a new routine (in other words I was able to make it through the whole thing without nearly dying) and I don't want to lose that edge.

What are your experiences about going back to a routine after this amount of time? Any issues that have cropped up?

Thanks all!

T25?

I always recommend following a clinic's post-operative instructions to a tee. It helps reduce the chances of damaging the new grafts and creating future issues with the clinic if yield is less than ideal. If Dr. Mwamba says you can exercise two weeks after the procedure, I think you could safely follow his advice. However, it may be worthwhile to email the clinic, explain the exercise regimen, and make sure it is okay.

Good luck!

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

Thanks for the advice, I just wasn't sure because there is a difference between a brisk jog and HiiT training but both can be called exercise.

And it's not T25, I do my own version depending on what body part I think needs some work but I did that and Insanity last year and I do incorporate some movements from it into my routine. Great workout though, a little unnecessarily brutal sometimes I think so that's why I prefer to do my own as I know my body pretty well now.

I would work up to your routine slowly. The way you describe your workout, the grafts might all expel out like porcupine quills. :P

I'm serious.  Just look at my face.

My Hair Regimen: Lather, Rinse, Repeat.

Yes there is a difference between exercise and what you are describing for your first work out you should take it a little easier and build things back up you will probably be fine doing your routine but as it will be 3 weeks since you did exercise I would start off with a gentle run and see how that feels.

---

Former patient and representative for Hasson & Wong.

Dr. Victor Hasson and Dr. Jerry Wong are esteemed members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

My opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of Hasson & Wong.

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Hasson

Thanks for all the great advice guys.

I was going to do a break in session tomorrow which will be day 15 post op and start again full on Monday but I think I'll wait another 3 days and do a half speed/effort session for a week just to get back into the mental routine.

Nice question on the exercise, I am almost 4 weeks post opt FUE, and like you I'm going a little crazy and want to get back to my normal exercise routine. But to be honest, at 2 weeks I tried a 10 min walk, and started to get pain in my head, slight dull pain, but enough to make me stop. I decided to wait another week, at end of week 3, I did another 10 min cardio and stopped right away, it felt great while doing the elliptical machine, but I felt like I had a slight headache after for about 30 min to 1 hr.

When I hit 4 weeks, I'm going to do only body weight exercise and see how that goes. But when I feel it in my head like a head ache I stop, even though I know my brain wants to keep going. I don't want to damage the graphs or procedure. My doc says I should be able to workout and sweat by now no problem. I'm just being extra cautious...and listening to my body instead of my brain.

Does that seem normal to everyone, to get headaches after trying to workout a little?

If you will it, they will come.

Hi Willit, your comment has made me a little more cautious about returning to a routine so early because in my first week post op I had crazy big headaches that I think were down to the occipital nerve pain and the back of my head still feels a little nippy if I'm resting it on the back cushion of a couch or I stroke the back of my head against the grain of the hair. Even now after applying my aloe vera gel and massaging it in the back of my head has a very, very dull throb.

Mind you I did a few pull ups yesterday and didn't feel anything but then again I didn't really push I wasn't doing sets or anything.

I only really do bodyweight in my HiiT routine bar a barbell plate for core work on the floor and some ankle weights but they will be out the window for the time being I think. Proper resistance days I think I'll definitely leave for a while.

I'm not sure, I think I'll give it a try on Monday but if I feel the slightest inkling of anything going wrong I'm going to stop.

I'll report back on Monday with a verdict.

Always better to follow doc's advice to a T.

Paulygon is a former patient of Dr. Parsa Mohebi

My regimen includes:

HT #1 2710 grafts at Parsa Mohebi Hair Restoration in Los Angeles in 2012

Rogaine foam 2x daily, since 2012 (stopped ~10/2015)

Finasteride 1.25mg daily, since 2012 (stopped ~12/2015)

HT #2 3238 grafts at Parsa Mohebi Hair Restoration in Los Angeles in Jun. 2016

Started Rogaine and Propecia in July. 2016 after being off of them for about a year.

Just to report back, I did a 30 minute session this morning before breakfast and everything was fine. No pain anywhere and no headaches at all.

I kept the intensity of the whole thing very, very low and was more concerned about completing the rounds rather than bursting my arse. I did swap the burpees for some weighted squats and the low intensity bits I just shook my arms and legs on the spot instead of jogging for maximum rest but in saying that I was still out of breath and my heart was going fast but like I said, no issues with my head at all and I continue to shed as normal.

Cheers!

Swayze, you might wanna do some more research before you start training. I've read about doctors who warn about the squat exercise, as they believe all the weight on the shoulders pressing down on you can pull your skin down and widen your scar. They also warn about the chest press exercise and similar ones where the back of your head is under direct pressure.

don't think there's any research out there to confirm it, but i've deleted the two from my training regimen

Toubey, I had an FUE procedure, not FUT so I have no scar to widen and I did wait the two weeks that the doctor said before training.

Also when I say weighted squats I don't mean barbell squats on the shoulders, it's just a a barbell plate that I grab with both hands and extend out in front of me while squatting. It acts as a counter weight and allows me to get lower without falling backwards, plus it works the shoulders too.

I can see your point if you have a suture but I had no issues with my donor area before after or during the training.