Losing lots of hair 6 months post HT

Thinman,

Well, at 6 months post-op, you shouldn't be experiencing any shock loss. And an initial shedding period can occur the first couple months when taking Propecia and/or Rogaine. However, I'm not sure I agree with Petchski that it's common to shed on these drugs 6 months after use, but I'm not saying it's impossible.

The good news is, you are doing all that you can to stop the progression of male pattern baldness and your transplanted hair should be growing in.

Give your hair transplant time and I expect things to improve. Hopefully the medication is working to at least slow down your existing hair loss - but it's possible if your shedding continues that it's not stopping it completely.

Best wishes,

Bill

Thinman,

It might be a good idea to document the timeframe of the hair growth/shedding you experience after your hair transplant together with whatever meds that you are taking.

Photo documentation at regular intervals of 3-6-8-12 months would be a good idea too, so that you can objectively discern what is actually happening. At 6 months you should have at least 40% of the illusion of density (if not more.

You've come a long way, don't be disheartened.

take care...

Mr. GQ,

I had a STRIP done. I mean at 4 months everything was terrific. Rogaine was working incredible. But now, everything ive gained off Rogaine has shed. I dont understand either, because i never stopped using it. Even my transplanted hair is shedding.

Mr GQ,

time of the year when shedding is common in most homo sapiens

This is a very interesting idea. I was under the impression that the telogen phase of the hair life cycle is independent of any solar/lunar cycle.

Would you please elaborate?

take care...

mmhce

This is a very interesting idea. I was under the impression that the telogen phase of the hair life cycle is independent of any solar/lunar cycle.

Would you please elaborate?

take care...

this is from my personal experience. my brother, my mom and i are shedding at the exact same time December. my dad shedded his last follicle long time ago icon_smile.gif. also a while back while i was researching on this phenomenon, i came up with this conclusion. they say that the dry cold air has a lot to do with it. but not sure how much you can trust to Dr. Google icon_wink.gif

cheers

Thinman,

how much and what kind of shedding are we talking about here? 10 hairs? more than 20? less than 10? also when do you see the hairs? after rubbing minox? on the pillow after you wake up? shower? we need details and maybe some respected coalition doc can take a minute of his/her time to answer your concern.

i read somewere that shedding 100 hairs per day is a normal thing. icon_eek.gif

cheers

Mr. GQ,

they say that the dry cold air has a lot to do with it

This seems to allude to prevailing climatic conditions (though seasonal, in temperate regions), does not apply to persons such as myself along 10 degrees latitude.

take care...

My hair sheds mostly when i apply minox. I am talking easily over 30 hairs. Also, anytime i run my fingers through my hair or when i shower. Anything involving me touching my hair results in shedding. Its ridiculous! Ive noticed shedding in the crown, but also alot in the mid-scalp. Moreover, touching my recipient area causes shedding in that area ( the front 1/3 of my scalp). I wanted to see if the sides or the back of my head shed, but that part is fine. All the shedding, that ive noticed, occurs on the top of my head. I dont notice any on the pillow though, other than the usual couple. However, i have to mention, i wear a hat most of the time at work which is like 30 hours a week.

30 hairs is not a big shed. You just have to ride out sheds. Even 5 times a day = 150 hairs.

The average person loses 50 to 150 hairs per day.

It happens when you (re)start minox or finasteride, which I think you did when you moved to Foam.

take care...

Remember this is the same idiot that went to Alba Reyes after countless amounts of people told him not to do it.

Bill Dobbs,

If you have had a personal experience with this surgeon, you need to report it on this forum. Otherwise you MUST refrain from personal attacks on members or surgeons.

take care...

Originally posted by Bill - Associate Publisher:

The good news is, you are doing all that you can to stop the progression of male pattern baldness...

Bill, that doesn't seem like good news!

Do you have increased dandruff? I know psoriasis can increase shedding.

Chuckisduck,

The bad news would be not educating oneself and not trying to do anything about it after self-education.

On another note and without digressing too much from the purpose of this thread, is there any correlation (genetic...of course) between the prevalence of dandruff on the scalp and MPB? I myself had a lot of dandruff when I was younger and was wondering if this could be a link or indication of future MPB from this?

If a patient had psoriasis, this should be indicated to the surgeon, who may take special precautions.(I'm not a doctor so I'm not sure...about the precautions.)

take care...

• 1 year later...

Hi guys,

I just signed up.

I would like to say that it's been interesting reading your posts. I was just like Thinman123 8 months ago, not sure about having a transplant and with someone not well known here in the US. I had a transplant with Dr. Alba Reyes on 6/18/09, and so far it's been great. I made my decision to have my transplant done with her after visiting her back in Feb 2009. A couple of my family members have friends that have had their transplants with her, and it's worked perfect for them.

I think I posted a few pics. 1 pre-op and 2 next day post-op.

HT_Crop.thumb.JPG.e5965aecb4bb680b63da2132309a9f2d.JPG