SMP for thinning hair

I am hoping if anyone of you can give a little feedback on smp to thinning hair. I see a lot of smp sites saying smp adds fullness to thinning hair. My question is if you do get smp for thinning hair wouldn't the thinning hair go bald anyway leaving just smp? Or is it that thinning hair does not go bald?

unless you are on medications you will likely lose that hair over time

also depends on how aggressive your MPB is

go dense or go home

Unbiased advice and opinions based on 25 plus years of researching and actual experience with hair loss, hair restoration via both FUT & FUE, SMP, scalp issues including scalp eczema & seborrheic dermatitis and many others

HSRP10's favorite FUT surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr Hasson, Dr. Rahal

HSRP10's favorite FUE surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr. Bisanga, Dr. Erdogan, Dr. Couto

(*indicates actual experience with doctor)

Thinning hair would most probably only get thinner. I think some SMP fades after 3 to 5 years so this may be useful for someone wanting to add an illusion of density whilst waiting for a transplant. I'm hoping to do this for my Crown!

I'm not sure how much it fades. I think you are best to write any questions down you have about SMP and consult via email with a reputable clinic who I'm sure can answer specific questions about treatment.

Baldybee2,

We've discussed SMP fading before in several of your past posts, but I will touch on the key points.

1) It will depend if it's temporary SMP or permanent, temp should fade within two years time or less while permanent will obviously last longer but will also depend on how many sessions you have and how dark of a pigment is used. With permanent the major issue you have to watch out for as you know is the potential risk for it turning blue/green.

2) In addition to the differences above, direct sunlight exposure (something difficult to hide from with thin/short hair), heavy sweating especially immediate post procedure, dry skin/dandruff, harsh shampoos etc. can accelerate the fading.

How SMP will look after thinning hair has been lost to due progression of MPB, well it will look sparse in those areas and you will likely need a touchup to place more pigment dots there (something we also discussed before).

Getting SMP for thin hair without being on meds would be similar to getting a HT without them, you will require future procedures. Though a HT without meds could cause permanent shockloss of your existing thin hair if not treated with meds, while if done carefully SMP should not.

go dense or go home

Unbiased advice and opinions based on 25 plus years of researching and actual experience with hair loss, hair restoration via both FUT & FUE, SMP, scalp issues including scalp eczema & seborrheic dermatitis and many others

HSRP10's favorite FUE surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr. Bisanga, Dr. Erdogan, Dr. Couto

Thanks for the response! While researching, I have come to the understanding that smp does fade in time but will never completely disappear.

Any thoughts are spray tanning or tanning lotion on a smp treated scalp? From what I read it has no effect on the smp. Can you confirm? Thank you

Baldybee, the pigment made by Beauty Medical disappears 100% from your system. As noted it can last 1-2 years depending on how it's cared for, environmental impact, etcetera.

I am the owner/operator of AHEAD INK a Scalp Micropigmentation Company in Fort Lee, New Jersey. www.aheadink.com

Any thoughts are spray tanning or tanning lotion on a smp treated scalp? From what I read it has no effect on the smp. Can you confirm? Thank you

That one you would have to ask the particular clinic/practitioner regarding the details.

I've not researched it that far, as mine will be for Bosley scar repair.

go dense or go home

I'm in my mid 40's now and my hair is basically as my avatar plus some additional work, so it's thicker now though and I also cut it much shorter. This was after being "repaired" by both Dr. Hasson and Dr. Konior.

The Bosley procedure was in my early 20's and was a complete failure that left me with a nasty scar and zero noticeable growth. Don't ever go to them or buy into their bs hype !

go dense or go home