Arthritis Drug Restores Full Head of Hair in Alopecia Universalis Patient

blowdry

Researchers have discovered that an FDA-approved arthritis drug may hold the secret to curing hairlessness.

A new paper published by scientists at Yale University School of Medicine announced the first reported successful targeted treatment of alopecia universalis—a condition that causes loss of all hair on one's head and body. The subject of the study, a 25-year-old man grew back his eyebrows, eyelashes, and other hair after an eight-month course of Pfizer's tofacitinib.

Edited by Future_HT_Doc

The problem for must of us is that this type of hair loss has nothing to do with genetic baldness due to dht.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

Exciting news for individuals suffering from autoimmune alopecia: dermatology researchers at the Yale School of Medicine completely regrew a full head of hair in a man with alopecia universalis using a known arthritis medication. Eight months after starting Tofacitinib citrate, the patient regrew beard, eyebrow, eyelash, and armpit hair that had not grown in nearly seven years. Even more remarkable, the patient completely restored his entire head of hair.

To read more about this exciting finding and what it may mean for individuals with autoimmune alopecias - like alopecia areata, alopecia totalis, and alopecia univeralis - please see the following: Arthritis Drug Regrows Full Head of Hair in Patient with Alopecia Universalis.

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

• 1 month later...

Sooo... How does one go about starting treatment with this drug? Do we have to wait until it's commercially released as a topical cream, or would my dermatologist/GP be able to prescribe some form of the drug anytime soon?

I'm suffering from alopecia areata, which only started in april, so I'm looking to stop further hair loss asap. Went from being a smoker and somewhat of a heavy drinker, pretty much neglecting my diet, to eating fish several days per week, and taking multivitamins, probiotics, biotin, anti-stress herbs (ashwaganda and rhodiola, or something along those lines), ginkgo baloba, fish oil+++, I've even bought lipogaine...

This stuff though, this stuff gives me hope I'll be able to cut the fish and healthy mumbo jumbo, and get back to the cigarettes and frozen pizzas whilst still sporting a healthy head of hair! Where do I sign??

EDIT:

Great... Just found out the pharmaceutical industry, Pfizer that is, are raping consumers with a price tag of $25.000/yr for the 5mg version of the drug (in the trial where they cured alopecia universalis there were 2 months of 10mg, followed by 6 months of 15mg doses). I'd have to sell my car and then go to the US hoping to convince a doctor to prescribe me a pretty much brand new drug, and it's only approved for Rheumatoid Arthritis, not curing baldness...

Edited by sindre

• 4 weeks later...
Sooo... How does one go about starting treatment with this drug? Do we have to wait until it's commercially released as a topical cream, or would my dermatologist/GP be able to prescribe some form of the drug anytime soon?

I'm suffering from alopecia areata, which only started in april, so I'm looking to stop further hair loss asap. Went from being a smoker and somewhat of a heavy drinker, pretty much neglecting my diet, to eating fish several days per week, and taking multivitamins, probiotics, biotin, anti-stress herbs (ashwaganda and rhodiola, or something along those lines), ginkgo baloba, fish oil+++, I've even bought lipogaine...

This stuff though, this stuff gives me hope I'll be able to cut the fish and healthy mumbo jumbo, and get back to the cigarettes and frozen pizzas whilst still sporting a healthy head of hair! Where do I sign??

EDIT:

Great... Just found out the pharmaceutical industry, Pfizer that is, are raping consumers with a price tag of $25.000/yr for the 5mg version of the drug (in the trial where they cured alopecia universalis there were 2 months of 10mg, followed by 6 months of 15mg doses). I'd have to sell my car and then go to the US hoping to convince a doctor to prescribe me a pretty much brand new drug, and it's only approved for Rheumatoid Arthritis, not curing baldness...

I havent verified those figures but if that's true that's poor form in charging that much. It would be typical from the drugs industry though.

Pity I just heard about this drug and was wondering would it also cure male pattern baldness got my answer though, no connection to Alopecia therefore very unlikely :-(

Current Regime:

Minox liquid 5% twice a day

Proscar 1/4 tab a day

Nizoral every 2nd day

MSM 1000mg a day

Silica 200mg a day

AHS 6 months laser treatment- POOR results

Crescina - no results

IRISH

• 1 month later...