Shampoo every day bad??

Roman94

I heard that shampooing your hair every day is bad for it from my girlfriend. There are natural oils your body produces to stimulate hair growth, that's why it gets greasy. I was told to shampoo my hair every other day. Seems very logical considering the fact that most homeless people have full heads of hair if anyone else notices that

Your girlfriend is spot on!

We need the natural oils and moisturizers that our bodies produce to keep the hair shafts from drying out and breaking.

It also really comes down to the ingredients and quality of the shampoo being used. Some are far more harsh than others.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

Are we quite sure about that? I thought the opinion was that washing your hair every day was no more harmful than washing any other part of your body that has hair. Some of us--maybe most of us--need daily shampooing in order to add body and to be able to style our hair satisfactorily. Can we get a ruling from above?

Everyone's scalp and hair is different, if you have dry hair and scalp you shouldn't be washing it every day.

If you have an oily scalp or especially one prone to to scalp issues washing more frequently is important.

You have to find the best frequency that works best for you. Personally I like to wash with water only on as many days as I can during the week, no shampoo or product buildup to worry about and the natural oil process is regulated. The important thing is the hair and scalp gets washed but not stripped by harsh shampoos and chemicals.

go dense or go home

Unbiased advice and opinions based on 25 plus years of researching and actual experience with hair loss, hair restoration via both FUT & FUE, SMP, scalp issues including scalp eczema & seborrheic dermatitis and many others

HSRP10's favorite FUT surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr Hasson, Dr. Rahal

HSRP10's favorite FUE surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr. Bisanga, Dr. Erdogan, Dr. Couto

(*indicates actual experience with doctor)

Everyone's scalp and hair is different, if you have dry hair and scalp you shouldn't be washing it every day.

If you have an oily scalp or especially one prone to to scalp issues washing more frequently is important.

You have to find the best frequency that works best for you. Personally I like to wash with water only on as many days as I can during the week, no shampoo or product buildup to worry about and the natural oil process is regulated. The important thing is the hair and scalp gets washed but not stripped by harsh shampoos and chemicals.

Absolutely correct. Scalp excretions, one's lifestyle, personal hygiene, etc all will vary between individuals. I also use water only at high pressure between shampooing and my hair and scalp is much more moistened when doing so, less frizzing, more body. I use a cream rinse to finish off the rinsing and allow it to dry. So I use shampoo twice per week and no more than that.

If you read the ingredients on any shampoo bottle, you would be shocked at the volume of inactive additives that are chemical based. Lots of alcohol based additives too which can dry out the hair.

You get what you pay for. Most of the cheapest shampoos have artificial chemical additives and many times are the harshest on the hair and scalp.

IMHO, best to use a quality product even if it's less frequent.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

I also use water only at high pressure between shampooing and my hair and scalp is much more moistened when doing so, less frizzing, more body

we are the same in this regard Gillenator ! before addressing my hair loss and scalp issues I had always been afraid to use high water pressure for fear of "losing" more hair.

Now I use as strong as water pressure as possible (without causing discomfort) and my scalp and hair are healthier from it

go dense or go home

Unbiased advice and opinions based on 25 plus years of researching and actual experience with hair loss, hair restoration via both FUT & FUE, SMP, scalp issues including scalp eczema & seborrheic dermatitis and many others

HSRP10's favorite FUE surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr. Bisanga, Dr. Erdogan, Dr. Couto

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

For oily hair and scalp should wash more frequently, not washing with such condition can lead to seborrheic dermatitis (oily dandruff) worsening.

go dense or go home

You can shampoo everyday or twice a day if you need. Shampoo has nothing to do with hair loss. With that said, you can certainly wash your hair every 3 days but keep in mind there will be more hairs in the drain. Hair loss is from dht. It's from your genes. It's not from washing your hair too often.