Redness won't go away

Spock

Well, I'm now 4 weeks post op. and the redness just won't go away. It's pretty much the same since day 7. For details on my story and pics on the redness go here.

So my question is for those who have had a relatively high density transplant and experienced this themselves. Is no real progress on redness for the last 3 weeks normal? What can I do or take to help reduce it?

Thanks in advance.

Well, I'm now 4 weeks post op. and the redness just won't go away. It's pretty much the same since day 7. For details on my story and pics on the redness go here.

So my question is for those who have had a relatively high density transplant and experienced this themselves. Is no real progress on redness for the last 3 weeks normal? What can I do or take to help reduce it?

Thanks in advance.

• 2 weeks later...

I had redness for 4 months or so also. I know its not fun and nothing I can say will make it better at this point. At 4 weeks you are in the "ugly hair" phase where you just really can't do much of anything. The only comment anyone made about the redness was that someone mentioned I'd gotten too much sun. Its definitely more apparent to you than to most other people. The good news is it's all worth it in the end. For me a couple of months of redness to have my hair back was a tiny price to pay in retrospect (easy for me to say now).

This is relatively common with dense packing in fair skin patients. It is very important that you do not expose the grafted area to direct sunlight until all pigment has returned to normal. The use of low level laser therapy (Hairmax laser comb) has worked on some of my patients who had similar experiences. In time as the hair starts to grow and the normal pigment comes back your situation should improve. Hang in there. Remember in the long run you will be happy.

Thank you for your post Dr. Charles.

I'm curious that you mentioned not exposing the grafted area to direct sunlight. Since I'm fair skinned, my HT doctor suggested that I consider a few sessions at a tanning salon to help mask the pinkness of my grafted area.

While it is not direct sunlight, would you also recommend a tanning salon as a potential solution?