50 grafts per cm gonna' cut it for hairline?

vincehair,

50 FU/cm2 is more than most people think, especially if they are shingled and larger grafts are placed behind it.

Most doctors will tell you that it takes a 50% loss of hair in order to start appearing like you are thinning. And since the average density is often considered 80, you would only start to appear to be thinning somewhat at 40 FU/cm2.

An anecdotal study provided by Dr. Keene suggests that natural hairline density may be only around 45-50 FU/cm2 anyway. She made an impressive presentation on this at the annual 2008 ISHRS conference in Montreal.

Be sure to speak more with your surgeon to be sure you are both on the same page regarding short and long term hair restoration goals before surgery.

Best wishes,

Bill

Hey Bill,yeah man just worried about the front transplated hair looking a lot thinner than my native hair.

I remember the graft calculator on here only goes max 45 grafts per square cm as well. so i guess most docs like to stay around 50? I know certain docs have claimed 80? 90?

How many grafts/hairs can be densely packed together without negatively affecting growth yield has not been officially determined. Anyone using ultra refined tools can place 80 or 90 FU/cm2. But how many will grow? That's the question.

Though ultra high densities often sound impressive, patients need to consider how much they really need to provide both adequate coverage and density. Even if a surgeon is successful at getting all 80 or 90 in one square centimeter to grow, it may be a waste of precious donor hair not to mention money.

For some, higher densities may be appropriate. But 50 FU/cm2 is still considered a high number and often provides great looking density.

Best wishes,

Bill

Since there probably will be a more profound contrast between the color of your dark hair and the complexion of your skin, it probably wouldn't hurt to go a little higher, provided your donor allows for it.

I also think 50 per cm/2 of transplanted hair is going to look a little different than native hair at that density, so it may take more to compensate, depending on the patient as Bill suggested. Also, if a couple two-haired grafts pop up in the hairline, which actually doesn't seem that rare, they are going to stand out more if the concentration of singles throughout the area isn't strong enough. IMO.

-------

All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my My Hair Loss Website

I know certain docs have claimed 80? 90?

Apart from a certain infamous FUE doctor, i never heard anyone recommending this density for the same reason that your natural density at the hairline, based on dr. Keene limited study, is about 45-60 fu/cm2. Natural donor density is bit higher as stated by Bill is about 80 fu/cm2, on average.

You doctor's suggestion seems reasonable.

I am not a doctor. The opinions and comments are of my own.

HT with Dr. Cooley on Nov 20, 2008

2097 grafts, 3957 hairs

Proscar, 1.25 mg daily, skip the 5th day, started Nov 2007

My Hair Loss Blog - Hair Transplant with Dr. Cooley

Bill has good points as usual. One other thing though on the whole density issue, again using trees as my analogy.

You have a 20 acre field and you want to cover it. If you have mature oak trees, it will take X number to give shade in the heat of a summer day. If you have malnourished cedar trees, it will take many times X; and you will never have complete shade.

So density is important, but the characteristics of the donor hair, and its supply are equally important to discuss preop.

Dr. Lindsey McLean VA

William H. Lindsey, MD, FACS

McLean, VA

Dr. William Lindsey is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

Actually, Jotronic posted the recent case -- http://hair-restoration-info.c...521087683/m/16110933 -- where Hasson implanted at ~90.

-----------

*A Follicles Dying Wish To Clinics*

1 top-down, 1 portrait, 1 side-shot, 1 hairline....4 photos. No flash.

Follicles have asked for centuries, in ten languages, as many times so as to confuse a mathematician.

Enough is enough! Give me documentation or give me death!

Thanks for everyone's input. I have talked to a lot of Docs and sent them detailed pics. Some say 80grafts in hairline some say 50 or so. Of course i wanna' shoot for the higher numbers but of course yield is of concern. Argh....