Tell me what you think

In both November/December 2012 and November/December 2013 I noticed my crown and midscalp seeming "patchier" and thinner. Both times I then began taking Avodart once or twice a week for 6 weeks or so, and one day I noticed that my hair had gone back to the usual thickness. After a while I drop the Avodart down to once a week and then tend to not take it for months.

This has also happened in April/May 2013 and now April/May 2014. My crown has definitely regressed from where it was even 2 months ago, so I'm back on the Avodart once/twice per week.

What I'm unsure of is Avodart is the key here, or if it's seasonal shedding. Two years in a row it's been the exact same time when my hair seems to get worse and then end up getting better for another 6 months. I suppose I should not take the Avodart at all because then I'll know for sure, but I don't want to risk that. Can seasonal shedding happen twice a year? Or did my hair loss just accelorate in November 2012 and so the cycle is actually based on when I start taking Avodart and then how long it takes the hair loss to kick in after a few months of stopping? Currently I haven't taken Avodart at all in 2014 before this latest bout of loss.

Seasonal shedding twice a year or natural loss staved off by use of Avodart? I'm thinking it's probably the latter (unfortunately) but I want to know what you guys think?

This is so annoying because at nearly 2 years post op on the hairline I'm finally where I want to be, just as I start feeling like I'm back to normal the crown starts giving me problems. Argh!

2,000 grafts FUT Dr. Feller, July 27th 2012. 23 years old at the time. Excellent result. Need crown sorted eventually but concealer works well for now.

Propecia and minoxidil since 2010. Fine for 8 years - bad sides after switching to Aindeem in 2018.

Switched to topical fin/minox combo from Minoxidil Max in October 2020, along with dermarolling 1x a week.

Wrote a book for newbies called Beating Hair Loss, available on Amazon

Tommy,

I was under the impression that "seasonal shedding" usually only occurred once a year (normally in the wintertime). However, I don't think there is any steadfast rule saying you can't experience a seasonal shed twice a year. What's more, people have differing opinions on the seasonal shed phenomenon in general, so it may be difficult to completely blame it on a naturally occurring shed. I think it likely has more to do with the dutasteride use. Do you not want to be on the drug all the time? Any reason for the periodical use?

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

I recently saw a chart that had the peak human shedding in August, but I don't remember where I saw it.

I would lean towards the avodart if you can afford it and it is not causing sides. In either case, I would not get on and off it.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

I don't like to take it continually because I don't want to "max out" the efficiency. If Propecia has lost effectiveness then that means surely Avodart will at some point down the road, I have just been using it as a booster over a short period of time. Plus it's expensive.

Thanks for your replies, so it seems Propecia only worked 100% for me for 3 years...that's a shame. I wont stop taking it though.

2,000 grafts FUT Dr. Feller, July 27th 2012. 23 years old at the time. Excellent result. Need crown sorted eventually but concealer works well for now.

Propecia and minoxidil since 2010. Fine for 8 years - bad sides after switching to Aindeem in 2018.

Switched to topical fin/minox combo from Minoxidil Max in October 2020, along with dermarolling 1x a week.

Wrote a book for newbies called Beating Hair Loss, available on Amazon