how many grafs needed

I am 27 and have been losing hair for more than 3 years.i am taking finpecia every other day for more than one year but that has just increased the progression.I am thinking of going to to dr radha for HT and just needed a rough estimate regarding thenumber of grafts required.

Attached is two pics.one with blow dried where bald spots are not visible and one with side parting focusing on bald spots.

20140509_235851.jpg.7ef32cd258efd622e43bede3c901baca.jpg

IMG_20130616_002841.jpg.b461b6f4e06c62333cdf5d0ddc1fe270.jpg

Finpecia has not increased the progression as that indicates that it is contributing to your hair loss. The only reason for your progression is that you have higher DHT levels than your current intake of Finpecia can handle, in a manner of speaking. You should first take measures to stop your hair loss rather than getting a hair transplant because that is only treating the symptom, not the cause. You should consider upping your intake frequency to daily, not every other day, as that is how the medication was intended to be taken and in my clinic we see a direct correlation of results to the amount of finasteride taken. In other words, the more you take, the better it works. By starting with a hair transplant now you are only setting yourself up for continual surgeries until your donor is depleted.

The Truth is in The Results

Dr. Victor Hasson and Dr. Jerry Wong are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

Thanx for your reply..

The only reason i have started taking Finpecia EOD bcoz i was experiencing the side effects . For six months i took it every day but after getting severe side effects , i switched to EOD. I did get my DHT levels checked and it was in normal level.

You need to upload better photos. They need to be of your hair damp and combed back with a higher resolution. Keep the flash off when you take the photos. Show at least one photo overhead and one shot from each side as well.

Dr. Victor Hasson and Dr. Jerry Wong are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

Consider cutting your hair short and taking photos for better feedback. You will be cutting your hair or shaving your head very close for surgery anyway so that's something you are going to have to be willing to do.

I echo the advise above. If you are not a candidate for medication then I would tell you that you are not a candidate for a HT, especially at your age. You'll find a million doctors willing to give you a HT with or without medical treatment, but that should serve a serious red flag to you. Continual loss will happen even with medicine, but without medicine you are absolutely screwed.

What is your genetic MPB odds? What do the males in your families look like in their later years? That is going to be your best indication of where you would be so keep in mind that if you have permanent transplanted hair somewhere where there is no more native hair that it will look unpleasant. With Fin/Propecia you can slow it down quite a bit. If you have some good genetics on your side with hair then going forward and filling your spots you would like more density may be realistic, but from looking at the pics you gave I suspect you have some future loss concerns and if medicine isn't an option then you should NOT get a hair transplant.

My father at 60 still has all the hair . Out of my uncles one is bald and rest three have maintained their hair. So no idea how genetics are gonna play with me. Its not that i am not a candidate of finpecia. Just that when i started taking the medicine in the initial 4 to 5 months i completely lost my hair density. And it got stable at that point.During those days just in shower i used to shed around 60 to 70 hair. Those were my dreaded days. Presently i do lose hair but thats restricted to 30 40 during the day.So in your opinion i should not consider a HT at this age?:(

You need to upload better photos. They need to be of your hair damp and combed back with a higher resolution. Keep the flash off when you take the photos. Show at least one photo overhead and one shot from each side as well.

As you had asked posting pics with wet hair combed back.

IMG-20140511-WA0008.jpg.e75c12be92c3b4fce26d7007fa922db7.jpg

IMG-20140511-WA0007.jpg.9fc08481155c7d92af5436114e1f2da9.jpg

IMG-20140511-WA0006.jpg.605d75640f9a15444b35616060176b64.jpg

IMG-20140511-WA0005.jpg.8019ce9a0540798a6142a06c5db33f12.jpg

2500-3000 grafts. Basically a complete rebuild of the front 3rd.

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day

Agreed with Matt, 2500 to 3000 grafts but remember that without some sort of active prevention you'll need more surgery, most likely more than one more, and you will never have a completely full head of hair once the rest starts to go.

Please suggest the best active prevention method to restrict my surgery to just One.

SHOULD I START CONSUMING FINPECIA EVERYDAY? IF FINPECIA REDUCES HAIR LOSS , IN THE INITIAL 5 MONTHS WHY DID IT HAVE AN ADVERSE EFFECT ON MY DENSITY

Var,

Based upon your current levels, I think you would require around 3,000 grafts. However, it appears as if you are thinning in a fairly diffuse manner and preventive measures are likely necessary. Finasteride (Finpecia) is a proven preventive therapy. The only other proven preventive therapy is minoxidil (Rogaine/Regaine). Others also report some success with ketoconazole-based shampoos (like Nizoral and Revita). Make sure to discuss this with Dr. Radha during your consultation.

Good luck!

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

Thanx for your reply and suggestions.. I am already taking Fnpecia EOD owing to the side effects.. Since you somewhat found my pattern of hair loss to be diffuse , will it be fine to get a HT done as i have heard that HT is not a success if ur hair loss is on a diffuse pattern..

I also did take minoxidil for a while but thay made my hair very rough so i skipped it.. My hair roots are somewhat weak whats the best way to strengthn thm?

I'm not an expert like the others, but of the hairroots are weak it's either just naturally fine hair or miniaturization, most likely the other if it's really noticeable.

Fixing it is basically just using a DHT blocker and Minoxidil to strengthen the dying hair.

While you mentioned sides, are you sure they weren't imagined? And if finasteride didn't work well enough try dutasteride.