Need expert opinion regarding hair loss - considering HT

Hi guys, been a long time lurker here on this forum. I am 26, been experiencing hair loss for last 8 9 years, tried multiple treatments but hasn't quite worked out. I started on finasteride about 5 months ago and that has helped keep the loss in check and also on laser comb. No serious side effects from finasteride noticed yet. This has improved hair quality a bit also I would say. I use topicals like dermmatch and nanogen daily and that gives the illusion of coverage but feels completely fake and I want to get rid of them for good.

For many years, I did not have the financial resources to do an HT and now when I do have it, I consulted with a couple of recommended docs here (FUT docs). Unfortunately they said I would not really be that happy with coverage since my donor area would probably have max of 4500 to 5000 scalp grafts - bummer :(

Considering I am going to recede eventually anyway, I was contemplating keeping the hair short and get an FUE of some sort with some body hair combined (beard + chest hair) to get some decent coverage, keep it buzzed to a lower grade maybe. I have seen some FUE docs like Dr Hakan Doganay and Dr Bhatti use FUE grafts from beard and chest and combine that with scalp hair to achieve reasonably good results. I get the importance of controlling hair loss and I do not mind being on finasteride or equivalent as long as I get no sides.

I am attaching some pics here, could the experts chime in here and give suggestions?

Has anyone had a successful HT with a similar situation with good coverage, could someone share their experience or links here?

Would really appreciate it. Thanks

5b32de527e5b5_hairloss-back.jpg.264b61bd94c39ddb4e9e086163004499.jpg

5b32de528ee85_hairloss-top.jpg.9aa22d1b96e59d8059501b13ce8fbb71.jpg

5b32de52a1b51_hairloss-right.jpg.2e978371f4844a211664b24c020b1c95.jpg

5b32de52c699a_hairloss-left.jpg.79fc490183ca71d3cdec5d450d45c594.jpg

5b32de52dc7d0_hairloss-front.jpg.24081c988cfcc19d8284fd18be408517.jpg

Edited by hairchallenged

It looks like you are destined to be a Norwood 7 quite soon so I'd proceed with caution. Maybe not even consider doing anything until you pass 30 years old.

Whether it is FUT or FUE it looks like you have only a limited number of available grafts. Even with beard hairs I can't see you getting much coverage.

Maybe experiment with different hairstyles or look into Scalp Micro-Pigmentation (SMP).

I have no experience with hair systems (hairpieces) but if this is something you can fit into your lifestyle then there are some very good ones out there!

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day

Hair,

It is concerning that several recommended physicians said you are not a candidate for hair transplantation. Like Matt said, I would proceed with caution. Your FUE idea may be possible, but you would really need to understand what you could possibly achieve and set realistic expectations. This is, of course, assuming you are a candidate for FUE. In order to determine whether or not you are a candidate, I recommend consulting - even if it is just online - with some of our FUE experts. Physicians like Dr. Doganay and Dr. Erdogan (who you mentioned before) will likely be able to assess your situation and offer helpful advice without pushing you into a procedure you could regret later.

Best of luck. Please let me know if you have any additional questions.

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

It looks like you are destined to be a Norwood 7 quite soon so I'd proceed with caution. Maybe not even consider doing anything until you pass 30 years old.

Whether it is FUT or FUE it looks like you have only a limited number of available grafts. Even with beard hairs I can't see you getting much coverage.

Maybe experiment with different hairstyles or look into Scalp Micro-Pigmentation (SMP).

I have no experience with hair systems (hairpieces) but if this is something you can fit into your lifestyle then there are some very good ones out there!

I don't know, if he got on Fin and managed to stabilise his loss for a couple of years, with a good doctor 2500-3000 FUE at the front could still make a nice cosmetic difference.

Judging by your pre-op photos you yourself were pretty far gone by the time you had your op, and have managed to get good coverage (albeit with a lot of grafts), so I wouldn't direct the OP towards a hair piece just yet!

Thanks for the feedback guys. I am definitely considering all possible options and consulting with various docs before making any kind of decision on an HT. I am continuing finasteride and will see how that goes for a few more months - already at 5 months I think I am seeing some benefits and hair looks somewhat better than it did maybe 4 months ago. I also apply Nizoral shampoo 2 times a week, drinking some green tea as well and in general trying to maintain a healthy diet so as to atleast keep hair that I have and not lose significantly more.

Thanks for the feedback guys. I am definitely considering all possible options and consulting with various docs before making any kind of decision on an HT. I am continuing finasteride and will see how that goes for a few more months - already at 5 months I think I am seeing some benefits and hair looks somewhat better than it did maybe 4 months ago. I also apply Nizoral shampoo 2 times a week, drinking some green tea as well and in general trying to maintain a healthy diet so as to atleast keep hair that I have and not lose significantly more.

Best of luck. Your hair is not too dissimilar to this chap although he has lost a bit more than you:

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/174786-10-months-update-dr-bhatti-3180-grafts-jun-2013-a-3.html

Note the feedback he has received.

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day

Dear One,

You require at least 3500-4500 grafts to cover from front to crown with good density. You can go for FUE hair transplant. This is the best solution of baldness. I have also done 4303 grafts by FUE method. I have got good results. I am sharing my results with you. I have done this with Dr Pradeep Sethi, india before 7 months.

5b32de5d709f0_balbirhistory.jpg.247722e22a23cbdc851c8f0c09406fcb.jpg