Knowing how many grafts have been transplanted.

Hello all. I am new to this site and do hope I am writing in the correct place.

I am in my fourth day after having my transplant done. I have paid for 2000 grafts to be transplanted into my crown. My question is. How do I know that 2000 grafts have been put in. I know I have a donor scar on the back of my head from ear to ear and no reason not to believe my surgeon but at the end of the day, how do I really know that that amount has gone in. I keep holding a mirror up to my head, look and think there isnt 2000 scabs there. Am I just being paranoid here. Also just out of interest my donor area still feels extremly tight is this normal.

Lee

The tightness is perfectly normal.

In my years on transplant forums I've always thought that the scabs never looked like they totalled up to the number of grafts the patient received. I suppose it's difficult to really tell without actually counting. Good luck with that!

I would just trust what the doctor has said. If you chose your doctor wisely then I'm sure he is being honest, but one thing to consider is that he was very unlikely to get dead-on 2000 grafts from a strip. You ought to ask what the actual total was.

You didn't mention who your doctor was, but in the past there have been cases where less principled doctors threw away good grafts rather than give their patient more than the agreed amount. Personally, I would be suspicious if the doctor tells you you received exactly 2000 from strip surgery.

I am a patient and representative of Dr Rahal.

My FUE Procedure With Dr Rahal - Awesome Hairline Result

I can be contacted for advice: matt@rahalhairline.com

Mattj,

Thankyou for your prompt reply, Im sure im just going through the normal post mortem of the procedure.

My Doctor was Mr Shamalak Crown Cosmo clinic in Altrincham.

I know they did not throw away any grafts as he told the nurses to 'piggy back' which was putting extra grafts in places where some had already been planted.

I have no reason to doubt the surgeon its just me thinking how do they know the amount, I guess its just experience. I really wish I could have had the rest of my head done now though as I have to wait another 6 months before doing another 2000 grafts on the top and front of my head, but I guess it gives me a chance to see the results before going ahead.

Pavlov, it's really based on an "honor" code. There is no way a patient can tell the exact number of grafts that have been transplanted. You'll have to go totally by what the doctor tells you regarding the number of grafts placed.

The assumption is that well known and/or ethical doctors are likely to be truthful about this.

Thanks for that gents, Like I say, I have no reason what so ever to doubt the Dr, Im going through that faze of taking millions of pictures, continually looking on the mirror, willing the scabs to go, and looking through previous posts it looks like most people do the same thing.

One thin I have read though is a lot of people are taking other products for thier hair as well to speed up the growing etc. Does this stuff actually work or is it too late for me at the age of 42 to start using other medical products?

Don't worry too much about the number of scabs, You wont get a noticeable scab for each incision. Think about it - those incisions are pretty damn close together if you got a noticeable scab for each 1 the whole receipt would be 1 big scab.

There's no real way to tell exactly how many grafts were planted, but you can get a good idea of how many were removed, as the other poster said... it's very unlikely you got 2000 grafts dead on, your doctor should have told you what the final number was, they should have also told you the average number of grafts in the donor area (per cm2) if not am sure they will have no problem giving you the info - from this along with the width and length of the scar you will be able to get a good idea of how many grafts were removed.

As others have said the tightness is totally normal and with lessen in time.

Many doctors believe Minoxidil helps speed up transplant hair growth (it's not too late as you should wait around a month before applying in the receipt or at least until that area has healed). If you are not already taking Finasteride, I'd also look into that.

I think the best way to tell is time during placement.

For example, if 2000 grafts took a mere few hours start to finish then be worried ! If it took 4 - 6 hours then sounds better !

Other things is how many technicians were placing grafts - one or two or four ?

If you see the technician infront of you doing two grafts a min and there are four of them then you are getting approx 8 grafts per minute or approx 480 an hour. 2000 to place would take about 4 hours.

Not an exact science I know - but better than scab counting when the blood just merges together after multiple close incisions.

Right, well I was there around five and a half hours so I think I should stop stressing now. Thanks again to all for your replies, most helpful. I will have a look into Finasteride and have a good look around this site too. I think I could be here a while.

• 5 months later...

Hi pavlov, I'm considering a 2000 graft procedure with Dr Shahmalak, how did it go and what are your results like now, are you hapy, do you have any pic, I really would appreciate some feedback, thanks. I looked for you on the patient weblog but could't find you (pavlov)

Good thread.

I am sure there are lots of ways that different practices keep track of grafts.

I visited an office several years ago where 2 different counters counted holes, not grafts, made by the doctor...and the assumption was that every hole would receive a graft.

At our office, each cutter completes a sheet as they finish cutting a portion of tissue. At the end of the day, I add it up to generate a total and show the patient as we review pics taken throughout the day. A significant discrepancy from the "goal" will result in some monetary reimbursement; or a surcharge on occasion.

There are other ways to make sure you are getting what you are paying for and most practices will share that with you at your consultation.

Dr. Lindsey McLean VA

William H. Lindsey, MD, FACS

McLean, VA

Dr. William Lindsey is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians