What can I do? Help please

MyNameIsRich

Hey guys, I've been off Finpecia for about a month now, due to side effects getting to the point of problem, even though I've only been on about 1/3 1mg tablet every 3 days. The side effects problems have gotten a bit better now, but it's still about, and my sex drive is drastically lower than it should be. Before anybody tells me it's all in my head, I can assure you that it isn't.

The other problem is that I'm now worried that my hairloss is gonna rapidly increase, and i really want to curb all my problems here. I'd like to think i'm pretty well researched, but is there anything I can do here, or am I all out of options now, in terms of stopping my hairloss, so i can be a better candidate for HT?

If I switch from generic to branded proscar, will that help with sides?

Diet? Other treatments? Any new news?

Really want to sort this out

Thanks

Hi Rich,

Switching from generic to brand name Proscar should not - in theory - make any difference. What's more, it is my understanding that generic drugs are only required (by US FDA law) to contain 80% of the active ingredient of the brand name drug. In this example, if Proscar contains 5g of finasteride, generic proscar is only required to have 4g. So, in theory, switching to a brand name drug may actually increase the level of finasteride in your blood.

Have you considered minoxidil (Rogaine)? It, like finasteride, is proven safe and effective for the treatment of androgenic alopecia (male pattern hair loss) and most hair restoration experts recommend it.

Eating an appropriate diet is important. Hair follicles require adequate amounts of iron, protein, vitamins, etc, to function properly. However, diet doesn't usually dramatically affect hair loss; especially when compared to the use of drugs like finasteride and minoxidil. Having said that, many members do supplement their diet with vitamins and minerals known to support healthy hair growth (like biotin, msm, vitamin A, B(s),D, and E; iron, selenium, and fish oil).

Have you spoken with a physician about the issue? Frankly, I think this might be the first (and most important) step in "sorting this out."

Good luck!

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

Hi Rich,

Switching from generic to brand name Proscar should not - in theory - make any difference. What's more, it is my understanding that generic drugs are only required (by US FDA law) to contain 80% of the active ingredient of the brand name drug. In this example, if Proscar contains 5g of finasteride, generic proscar is only required to have 4g. So, in theory, switching to a brand name drug may actually increase the level of finasteride in your blood.

Have you considered minoxidil (Rogaine)? It, like finasteride, is proven safe and effective for the treatment of androgenic alopecia (male pattern hair loss) and most hair restoration experts recommend it.

Eating an appropriate diet is important. Hair follicles require adequate amounts of iron, protein, vitamins, etc, to function properly. However, diet doesn't usually dramatically affect hair loss; especially when compared to the use of drugs like finasteride and minoxidil. Having said that, many members do supplement their diet with vitamins and minerals known to support healthy hair growth (like biotin, msm, vitamin A, B(s),D, and E; iron, selenium, and fish oil).

Have you spoken with a physician about the issue? Frankly, I think this might be the first (and most important) step in "sorting this out."

Good luck!

I've been using minoxidil twice a day for 3 years almost,

As well as Nizoral type shampoos for 2 years.

Nope, I've never seen a physician but then I never imagined I'd get any sound advice from one. I'm trying to get an appointment in meeting Dr hasson when he's next in London, to find out the full extent of my hair loss, but I worry that I already know the answer (Norwood 5a destiny).

I just want to really change the course here, I'm fed up enough Knowing that I'm unlucky enough to have this at 24, and then to make matters worse, I can't even take the one drug that has fixed it for so many

Hi Rich,

Good luck!

one has to wonder the rules of the indian manafacturers not in compliance with FDA?

How long were you on Fin, what was your starting dosage, and did you experience these side effects the entire time you were on it or?

From September 2012 till about a month ago, and i was on various dosages but for the most part, around 1/3 of a 1mg tablet every 3 days.

Yes I always experienced slight mild sides but i need my hair.

I still have some sexual function but my libido is pretty much gone, morning wood is still rare also.

The sad part is that my hairline seems to have gotten a lot worse in the last few months, and i'm considering going back on an even lower dosage. I don't know what to do anymore. I've ordered a load of vitamins but i think i'd be kidding myself in believing that people can maintain hair from taking them.

Sucks doesn't it? I was on it for 5 months and literlly had no boners randomly.

Been off it a month or so now, and im pitching a tent every morning for the last week or so... No exageration unfortunately.

Its a toss up between hair or boners. (no pun intended)

Sucks doesn't it? I was on it for 5 months and literlly had no boners randomly.

Been off it a month or so now, and im pitching a tent every morning for the last week or so... No exageration unfortunately.

Its a toss up between hair or boners. (no pun intended)

Well yes, but now i'm off it for a month and i'm not back to normal, where as in the past when i've stopped taking in the past, all function came back after a few days - weeks

Interesting, 0.33mg every three days is probably not very effective. So if you were mostly on that during your ~1.5 years on Fin, it may have helped less than you think.

It may also not have been good for your body's DHT levels to constantly fluctuate like that either, because by day three after taking the 0.33mg your DHT level is probably back to normal... then you take your dosage, it goes down drastically, and this repeats over and over. I don't know, something to think about.

Either way, assuming your side effects are not placebo it sounds like Fin is probably not going to work with you. It's good you've been on Minoxidil and Nizoral though. The next best alternative to Fin might be a non-systematic DHT blocker, such as S5 Spiro which is a cream you apply on your head (can be used with Minoxidil).

Interesting, 0.33mg every three days is probably not very effective. So if you were mostly on that during your ~1.5 years on Fin, it may have helped less than you think.

It may also not have been good for your body's DHT levels to constantly fluctuate like that either, because by day three after taking the 0.33mg your DHT level is probably back to normal... then you take your dosage, it goes down drastically, and this repeats over and over. I don't know, something to think about.

Either way, assuming your side effects are not placebo it sounds like Fin is probably not going to work with you. It's good you've been on Minoxidil and Nizoral though. The next best alternative to Fin might be a non-systematic DHT blocker, such as S5 Spiro which is a cream you apply on your head (can be used with Minoxidil).

I've never heard of anybody suggesting that before, in relation to fluctuating levels of DHT. I've only ever heard that it takes time for levels to rise back to normal, so didn't see a problem with non daily dosages. Maybe you're right, I dunno. The sides were worse on every day though.

Is there any proof that this topical stuff even works though? I want to see people who couldnt take Finasteride for the same reasons as me, and managed to get good success over many years through topicals and shampoo, alone.

I've never heard of anybody suggesting that before, in relation to fluctuating levels of DHT. I've only ever heard that it takes time for levels to rise back to normal, so didn't see a problem with non daily dosages. Maybe you're right, I dunno. The sides were worse on every day though.

Is there any proof that this topical stuff even works though? I want to see people who couldnt take Finasteride for the same reasons as me, and managed to get good success over many years through topicals and shampoo, alone.

There's lots of varying results and opinions about topical DHT blockers. I think it's safe to say they do work but the question is by how much and is it worth it. The prevailing arguments against their use are that they are 1) only effective for brief periods after application, and 2) not sufficiently absorbed into the skin. It's all theoretical though, lots of people swear by them and claim good results. If topical Minoxidil works, it doesn't seem far fetched a topical DHT blocker would work. If Fin did not work for me I'd probably give one a try.

The one that seems to be regarded as the best is RU58841, but it is a concoction you mix yourself. Some people claim it is better than Fin. There are of course other ones out there that you can directly buy, I've heard good things about S5 Spiro.