Washing hair technique?

Hi i need some advice on shampooing hair after transplant as i cant seem to get the shampoo out of my hair. I tried to be gentle with the transplanted hair and been under shower for 15 minutes but when I look in the mirror the shampoo is still sitting on the transplanted hair??

Whats best way around this and i am 4 day post up and have lost 4 grafts in the shower

are you talking about losing hairs or grafts?

if the shampoo is sticking to sebum or other scalp buildup, you could wash with just water alone until day 10.

but also check with your doc too

go dense or go home

Unbiased advice and opinions based on 25 plus years of researching and actual experience with hair loss, hair restoration via both FUT & FUE, SMP, scalp issues including scalp eczema & seborrheic dermatitis and many others

HSRP10's favorite FUT surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr Hasson, Dr. Rahal

HSRP10's favorite FUE surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr. Bisanga, Dr. Erdogan, Dr. Couto

(*indicates actual experience with doctor)

probably just scabs/crusts with hairs attached, graft loss usually is accompanied by bleeding

just wash carefully with water until you get through the critical first 7-10 days

go dense or go home

Unbiased advice and opinions based on 25 plus years of researching and actual experience with hair loss, hair restoration via both FUT & FUE, SMP, scalp issues including scalp eczema & seborrheic dermatitis and many others

HSRP10's favorite FUE surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr. Bisanga, Dr. Erdogan, Dr. Couto

probably just scabs/crusts with hairs attached, graft loss usually is accompanied by bleeding

just wash carefully with water until you get through the critical first 7-10 days

hsrp - that makes sense and thanks for your help! Heres a picture of the residue straight after shower... Is the white stuff suppose to be there

image.jpg.292bfb7b73bb4afd11d033de86a61e7e.jpg

Every Doctor has different post op instructions but most say you should be very careful washing your hair the first week after surgery. I used a cup to fill with lukewarm water and poured that over the grafted area to wash away the shampoo. It is normal to see that amount of crusting just go slowly with the shower pressure for a few more days.

---

Former patient and representative for Hasson & Wong.

Dr. Victor Hasson and Dr. Jerry Wong are esteemed members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

My opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of Hasson & Wong.

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Hasson

Every Doctor has different post op instructions but most say you should be very careful washing your hair the first week after surgery. I used a cup to fill with lukewarm water and poured that over the grafted area to wash away the shampoo. It is normal to see that amount of crusting just go slowly with the shower pressure for a few more days.

Thanks Garageland! How do wash away the residue as in my picture as i cant complete wash away the shampoo?

Hi mate,

I take it you are applying aloe Vera??

If so then that is what you can't get rid off, it's very difficult to remove, I'm surprised more people don't mention it because it's like ova glue trying to remove it!! If your not applying it then ignore this, but anyone who is expect to see residue until you can properly wash your hair because finding doesn't foes not get rid!!

I had the same problem with the cream i was told to apply. However this just absorbed into the skin.

After the next few days you can use a soft toothbrush and brush towards your face, this might help removed trapped shampoo and loose scabs.

Hello,

I had an op last week with Farjo. I was given written and oral instructions on post-op care. With regards to washing I was told NOT to wash for the first 24-hours, thereafter could wash every day. I had to use the (watery) shampoo they provided and place a towel over my head and let the water from the shower soak through it. Then put shampoo on towel and place on head and let water soak it through. Finally rinse towel and place on head again under shower to rinse of any residual shampoo.

I have washed my hair five times (in the past seven days) in this manner and don't notice any grafts/scabs falling off yet. The shower is on very gentle warm power.

I find the towel on my head a great comfort for some reason!

It's odd how different docs give different instructions, anyone know why?

At the end of the day - as long as you are gentle and dont towel rub or blast with a hot hairdryer, your not going to do any real harm,

So long as those grafts stay put, you can wash twice a day or once a week as far as i can tell.

My doc told me to apply cream every day and wash out with shampoo for the first week. Then move on to cream 3 times a day to soften scabs thereafter.

Probably doesnt make a whole lot of difference what way you do it.

Everyone is going to give you different advice is respect of washing hair as each clinic tells their patients different things. I have not heard of leaving shampoo on for 15 minutes it would soak into the dry scalp.

I would follow your clinics instructions but from the photo all looks fine so don't worry.

---

Former patient and representative for Hasson & Wong.

Dr. Victor Hasson and Dr. Jerry Wong are esteemed members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

My opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of Hasson & Wong.

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Hasson

This was a slight issue post op for me too, I'm still unsure if I did it correctly.

Would advise anyone to try and get to the clinic the next day to get a demonstration of exactly how to wash it.

2,000 grafts FUT Dr. Feller, July 27th 2012. 23 years old at the time. Excellent result. Need crown sorted eventually but concealer works well for now.

Propecia and minoxidil since 2010. Fine for 8 years - bad sides after switching to Aindeem in 2018.

Switched to topical fin/minox combo from Minoxidil Max in October 2020, along with dermarolling 1x a week.

Wrote a book for newbies called Beating Hair Loss, available on Amazon

Is the white stuff suppose to be there

this is dried skin or dried sebum or some scalp ooze/secretion from the procedure.

I get a whitish film like this each time I have a procedure, it freeked me out at first but I have learned to just leave it alone until I can shampoo regularly and more aggressively after 14 days. Misting with the spray bottle usually makes it less visible and cleans the area too btw and can help with any itchiness

hope things are going better, hang in there

go dense or go home