Aggressive harilines with SMP

lucldh

With HT's there are some valid reasons to go conservative with the hairline, but with SMP you should be able to go a little more aggressive, at least get them to perform the hairline you really desire.

go dense or go home

Unbiased advice and opinions based on 25 plus years of researching and actual experience with hair loss, hair restoration via both FUT & FUE, SMP, scalp issues including scalp eczema & seborrheic dermatitis and many others

HSRP10's favorite FUT surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr Hasson, Dr. Rahal

HSRP10's favorite FUE surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr. Bisanga, Dr. Erdogan, Dr. Couto

(*indicates actual experience with doctor)

With HT's there are some valid reasons to go conservative with the hairline, but with SMP you should be able to go a little more aggressive, at least get them to perform the hairline you really desire.

Then why don't I see pictures of aggressive hairlines using SMP? I wonder whether there is a reason for that. Hairlines like the one that of Will Smith in buzzed hair would be great. I am yet to see those examples with SMP.

Then why don't I see pictures of aggressive hairlines using SMP? I wonder whether there is a reason for that. Hairlines like the one that of Will Smith in buzzed hair would be great. I am yet to see those examples with SMP.

Are you kidding me? pretty much every single SMP i've seen looks very much unnatrual on most caucasians, down to the fact that it's always a black guys, straight across hairline.

Luc,

A few members bring up a very important point here: one of the most crucial aspects of an SMP procedure - if it is going to be performed in this region - is the hairline. The hairline, in my opinion, can be recreated in two different ways: in a dense, symmetrical manner or in an asymmetrical, more sparse, "faded" manner. The first, usually looks a bit unnatural - as hairlines are irregular and usually feature less dense feathering in the first few millimeters ("micro hairline"). The second, if done correctly, can actually appear quite natural. When SMP technicians take the time to make the hairline irregular and create a "fading" pattern with respect to density (low density in the front that eventually moves to increased density in the most posterior regions of the scalp), the results can appear fairly natural. Frankly, I wouldn't classify this as "aggressive," but I do think it appears natural and is the best approach.

Edited by Future_HT_Doc

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

Luc,

A few members bring up a very important point here: one of the most crucial aspects of an SMP procedure - if it is going to be performed in this region - is the hairline. The hairline, in my opinion, can be recreated in two different ways: in a dense, symmetrical manner or in an asymmetrical, more sparse, "faded" manner. The first, usually look a bit unnatural - as hairlines are irregular and usually feature less dense feathering in the first few millimeters ("micro hairline"). The second, if done correctly, can actually appear quite natural. When SMP technicians take the time to make the hairline irregular and create a "fading" pattern with respect to density (low density in the front that eventually moves to increased density in the most posterior regions of the scalp), the results can appear fairly natural. Frankly, I wouldn't classify this as "aggressive," but I do think it appears natural and is the best approach.

Your responses are always enlightening. Thanks, that makes sense. Even though hairline should start with some fading and then gradually become dark, I see that faded hairline start off very much away in almost all SMP photos that I have seen. Or probably I am over expecting form SMP!!

....if done correctly, can actually appear quite natural. When SMP technicians take the time to make the hairline irregular and create a "fading" pattern

..and they don't.

Yet to see an SMP tech/doc change ink tones mid-procedure to create a layered effect. The sales hype says yes, it happens. The reality is chose a color, read- ONE color, and get to work.

My advice is to educate yourself, draw a hairline. Erase, draw it again and again until you get so good at drawing it, you can draw it under the gaze of the staff in the consult room under time pressure and at short notice. Educate yourself about the tones they use at the respective clinic and then specify where you want each tone to go.

That might give you a fighting chance. Still, expect to be steamrolled by the 'flow' of the clinic.