How long after smp should one wait to have ht?

TonyB

Hi Everyone,

I am thinking of going for smp next month and then going for a transplant.

Has anyone here had smp followed by ht? If so, I'd love to know what your results were.

What is the minimum time recommended between smp and ht?

I think that it is safer to go for smp first and then have transplant as a ht first followed by smp could result in transplanted hairs being damaged by the ink.

Any advice welcome :)

good question, what does your prospective HT surgeon say?

maybe good idea to contact a few clinics for their input

go dense or go home

Unbiased advice and opinions based on 25 plus years of researching and actual experience with hair loss, hair restoration via both FUT & FUE, SMP, scalp issues including scalp eczema & seborrheic dermatitis and many others

HSRP10's favorite FUT surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr Hasson, Dr. Rahal

HSRP10's favorite FUE surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr. Bisanga, Dr. Erdogan, Dr. Couto

(*indicates actual experience with doctor)

i think its better to get a transplant first, and see how much coverage you get and then fill in with SMP....i highly doubt the SMP will damage the existing hairs.....

all depends how much loss your suffering and where the smp is going

Edited by trapps99
spelling

You can have an HT very soon after SMP, but not the other way around.

Once you have an HT you must wait 6-12 months (depending on which surgeon you ask) to put SMP on your scalp in areas where you received grafts or had grafts extracted. The skin cells are unstable during the healing. You won't damage the HT, but the ink will dissolve into the still moving cells and the SMP could get messy.

Of course, having a map of how much hair your have will help you plan the SMP, so getting the HT first seems logical, but then again, if you are reasonably confident in th surgeons assessment you could do SMP first, get the HT a month later and be all done. I am five months post-op now and it is with all my patience I am holding back the urge to get SMP. I already know where I will get it, have 100% planned the SMP and more HT growth won't change my plans. Still the docs warning is just stopping me

You can have an HT very soon after SMP, but not the other way around....

if you are reasonably confident in th surgeons assessment you could do SMP first, get the HT a month later and be all done. I am five months post-op now and it is with all my patience I am holding back the urge to get SMP. I already know where I will get it, have 100% planned the SMP and more HT growth won't change my plans. Still the docs warning is just stopping me

Thanks for the replies. I contacted three transplant clinics and received different replies one said that I need to wait at least 6 months after smp before having ht. One said 2 months is sufficient and the other 1 month.

As smp combined with ht is relatively new, I guess that it why I received conflicting information. Issues mentioned were giving the scalp enough time to fully recover after smp (including for inflammation to go down). There is also a possibility some of the ink may move during ht.

Edited by TonyB

Imho, it makes sense to do HT first, followed by SMP and to give the HT a full year to heal and see exactly where density is required.

I am the owner/operator of AHEAD INK a Scalp Micropigmentation Company in Fort Lee, New Jersey. www.aheadink.com

• 4 weeks later...
Imho, it makes sense to do HT first, followed by SMP and to give the HT a full year to heal and see exactly where density is required.

I have been thinking a lot over the past few weeks but I have finally decided to have a ht followed by smp in 1 year's time.

I was concerned that if I had smp followed by ht that the ink may move during/after the ht.

how long/short are you planning to wear your hair?

go dense or go home

Unbiased advice and opinions based on 25 plus years of researching and actual experience with hair loss, hair restoration via both FUT & FUE, SMP, scalp issues including scalp eczema & seborrheic dermatitis and many others

HSRP10's favorite FUT surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr Hasson, Dr. Rahal

HSRP10's favorite FUE surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr. Bisanga, Dr. Erdogan, Dr. Couto

(*indicates actual experience with doctor)