Would taking vitamin D supplements help with hair loss in any way?

Hi Bruce,

Here is some information on Vitamin D and hair loss.

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

• 8 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Vitamin D may be showing progress as a hair loss aid for a few reasons.

1. Women were studied for their iron (ferritin) and vitamin D levels (unfortunately, the study focused on D2 rather than D3). Serum ferritin and vitamin d in female hair loss: do they play a role? - PubMed - NCBI They found that both low iron and low vitamin D were correlated with hair loss. It seems like more men are on this site than women, so keep reading.

2. Mice were fed Vitamin D3 and they started to grow hair in places where they were bald to begin with. Researchers concluded that D3 initiated "hair follicle cycling" which would mean that new hair can replace thinning hair or missing older hair roots Vitamin D3 analogs stimulate hair growth in nude mice. - PubMed - NCBI

3. A review of several studies also concluded that vitamin D may be successful in treating hair disorders - however they said that current human studies are lacking. Does D matter? The role of vitamin D in hair disorders and hair fol... - PubMed - NCBI

In the meantime, I would definitely advise 1000 to 2000 IU of vitamin D3 for everyone, and more if you test low on vitamin D blood testing.

David Rodgers, MS Nutrition

Nutritionist, Hair Loss Author

Thanks for the detail info very interesting indeed.

But don't your body create Vit D anyways? Not sure how all that works.

So your saying if people go out & buy a Vit D supp that's the golden egg we are looking for?

If it was that simple there be no need for this forum....he he...

There's not a wk or month goes by that I haven't heard some major break through in MPB over the last 25 yrs....then just fizzle out.

My children will see cas I. Don't hold much hope up.

Thanks for your info tho.

You're right in that vitamin D is definitely not a cure-all for baldness. Nothing that you can take that is a natural herb or vitamin will do this. However, if you do a full regimen of things - perhaps 10 different natural items, then all of them working together can do as much for you as drugs, and in many cases will be better - without the side effects of the drugs.

The body can create vitamin D on its own using cholesterol as a precursor, but only with enough exposure to sunlight without sunscreen applied.

David Rodgers, MS Nutrition

Nutritionist, Hair Loss Author

I highly doubt increasing Vitamin D consumption has any meaningful impact on hair loss. The only way to find out for yourself though is to try it for a long period of time and carefully examine your hair before/after... but in the likely event it does nothing, you will have possibly spent a long period of time losing more precious hair. So I would stick with the proven methods.

So let's all rush to walmart & get vitamins from A to Z. That should do the trick if only ha ha.

I think it be some a mad scientist who's messing in his lab & spills some milk in something then to wacked to clean it up , returns back after being rested for the wk end & BOOM there is Fungus.

It be something like that will happen to cure MPB.

26 years old, hair loss sufferer and went for my blood work for the first time in my life. Shows that I have a Vit D deficiency..probably worth taking a look into supplements

1st Procedure, Oct. 2012 - 1,704 grafts FUT w/Dr. True

2nd Procedure, Sept. 2015 - 2500 grafts FUE w/Dr. Vories

FUE Progress - http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/180966-my-experience-w-dr-vories-2-500-grafts.html

FUE 1 year result - http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/184716-1-year-results-2-500-grafts-w-dr-vories.html

26 years old, hair loss sufferer and went for my blood work for the first time in my life. Shows that I have a Vit D deficiency..probably worth taking a look into supplements

Yep...what won't kill can't hurt you..

Not everyone can take Meds so going down this route is worth it IMHO.

You can be the forum ginny pig....ha ha ....come back in 12mths & let us know will you.

Don't forget to take before & after pics.

In the meantime ill drink my cold Vit D milk every night like I've been doing most of my life & hope ill see new folicals sprout up one day...he he

This is an excerpt from my current work. I can give you guys the full references if you want any of them -

Vitamin D (i.e., 25-hydroxycholecalciferol, Vitamin D2) deficiency does not appear to be correlated to male pattern baldness, at least for men in Australia. (Bolland et al. 2008) In females, low Vitamin D levels are strongly correlated to pattern baldness and diffuse hair loss, with the most severe forms of hair loss being associated with serum Vitamin D2 <15 nmol/L. (Rasheed et al. 2013) This study also indicated that a serum Vitamin D2 level of about 75 nmol/L may be ideal. (Rasheed et al. 2013) Over 50% of the U.S. adult population has < 60 nmol/L serum Vitamin D2, and thus may benefit from additional vitamin D. (Sciences 2012)

Interestingly, it appears that sun exposure is required to express the Vitamin D receptor, which may be more important than vitamin D itself. (Lesiak et al. 2011; Demay 2012) The Vitamin D receptor is required for growth cycling, and is activated not only by Vitamin D, but also fatty acids and various phytochemicals. (Jurutka et al. 2007; Demay 2012; Aoi et al. 2012; Rasheed et al. 2013) Vitamin D is also known as a critical factor in the production of anti-inflammatory T regulatory cells. (Issazadeh-Navikas et al. 2012) Some practitioners feel that Vitamin D supplementation offers no benefit for hair loss sufferers. (Krutmann and Humbert 2010) While this may be true, perhaps moderate sun exposure will offer benefit by increasing production of both Vitamin D, and the critical Vitamin D receptor. (Lesiak et al. 2011)