What is the right age to start Dutasteride and where do I get them?

Tragedy86

Hi, I was using Propecia and it started being less effective around the 5 year mark, so I started Saw Palmetto and Proscar 2.5, just to see if it starts to take effect. I know the body can only retain 1mg but I read about splitting into 4 and how you would not get the proper dosage, I figured if I split it into half I'd have a better chance. Anyways, I've been on that for 4 months now and I've noticed I'm still losing ground, it's not fast but in 4 months I would consider it fast, especially comparing the results I had with Propecia for 5 years.

I've got two questions, I'm 27 at the moment and I'm wondering if I should make the switch to Dutasteride. The problem I'm having though, is that I can't seem to find anything about it in online in my country or in the pharmacy. I'm from Malaysia and I'm wondering where can I get some Avodart? or are there any cheaper generic brands and where can I purchase them.

I'm not too happy about moving to duta since that's almost like the last resort and I was hoping to save that for my mid-30s. So I'd like to know if it's a good idea.

I hope someone can help me here, cause I really don't know where else to turn to. I apologize for rambling a little long.

Hi Tragedy,

Any chance you can see a physician in Malaysia and obtain a prescription for the dutasteride?

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

Also, some small studies have showed dutasteride to be more effective than finasteride in specific doses, and one case study demonstrated an increased effect when adding dutasteride to a finasteride regimen. I would do a bit more research on these findings and discuss it with the physician writing the prescription (if you are able to see one - as we discussed above).

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

Hi Tragedy,

Any chance you can see a physician in Malaysia and obtain a prescription for the dutasteride?

Thank you for replying but that's the thing though, the pharmacy I go to doesn't have it, he mentioned that it was not available in my country, so I'm afraid getting a prescription might prove pointless. Is there anywhere I can get it online perhaps?

It's weird, I can't find anything about it online or even in neighboring countries. I wonder what people do once Fin starts being less effective.

Interesting study, I don't think I can afford to be on Fin and Dut but I like the results Dut is showing although 24 weeks isn't really optimum results.

Also, what are some other options I might be able to look at if Dut proves too difficult to attain. I'm not interested in Minoxidil because I can't maintain it for the rest of my life, so it doesn't seem to be worth it also I can't afford to be on that plus Fin and Nizoral. Any other options I'm all ears.

Many members report success with ketoconazole-based shampoos like Nizoral. Actually, most hair loss sufferers refer to the combination of minoxidil, finasteride, and a ketoconazole-based shampoo as the "big three" of hair restoration treatment.

Unfortunately, the only two drugs tested and approved for hair loss are finasteride (which, as you know, works in a very similar manner to dutasteride) and minoxidil. If you aren't seeing adequate results with the finasteride, most would probably recommend minoxidil. What do you mean by "maintain(ing) it for the rest of my life?" You mean that you couldn't purchase minoxidil and use it regularly? Keep in mind that all of these hair loss medications are designed to halt a progressive condition. If you start and stop any of them (including dutasteride), the androgenic alopecia process will continue.

Edited by Future_HT_Doc

cheapest you can get is in india. Their are many many pharmacy they give 20% more off what is printed retail price on that tablet. If you are in us,uk you should talk to some indian people in person if they know you or your friend. Trust me if you order online they will reap you. If someone brings for you trust me it is like cost of peanuts as compare to finasteride here in US or uk.one of my friend got it and remember its in capsule form I mean not like white tablet. Dark brownish maroon color.I will say medicine in india is like million times cheaper then as compare in us or uk. its my opinion.

Doesn't DUT produce stronger side effects than Propecia?

I am interested in the drug, but heard the sides are stronger. Consult a doctor and do your research before starting.

go dense or go home

Unbiased advice and opinions based on 25 plus years of researching and actual experience with hair loss, hair restoration via both FUT & FUE, SMP, scalp issues including scalp eczema & seborrheic dermatitis and many others

HSRP10's favorite FUT surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr Hasson, Dr. Rahal

HSRP10's favorite FUE surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr. Bisanga, Dr. Erdogan, Dr. Couto

(*indicates actual experience with doctor)

Many members report success with ketoconazole-based shampoos like Nizoral. Actually, most hair loss sufferers refer to the combination of minoxidil, finasteride, and a ketoconazole-based shampoo as the "big three" of hair restoration treatment.

Unfortunately, the only two drugs tested and approved for hair loss are finasteride (which, as you know, works in a very similar manner to dutasteride) and minoxidil. If you aren't seeing adequate results with the finasteride, most would probably recommend minoxidil. What do you mean by "maintain(ing) it for the rest of my life?" You mean that you couldn't purchase minoxidil and use it regularly? Keep in mind that all of these hair loss medications are designed to halt a progressive condition. If you start and stop any of them (including dutasteride), the androgenic alopecia process will continue.

I am using a shampoo like Nizoral and Proscar but minoxidil + proscar might be too expensive for me, and I know minoxidil is to grow new hair and if you stop it, it will fall back out. I did use it in the beginning for about 4 months but it was too much of a hassle also. I know if you stop medication hairloss will continue, I'll never be off something like Fin, and I can see myself taking it for many years. I noticed someone had Minoxidil oral pill on their sig, maybe I could try that? I'll have to check with the pharmacy if they have that, but I have a feeling Ive already done that awhile back with no luck.

cheapest you can get is in india. Their are many many pharmacy they give 20% more off what is printed retail price on that tablet. If you are in us,uk you should talk to some indian people in person if they know you or your friend. Trust me if you order online they will reap you. If someone brings for you trust me it is like cost of peanuts as compare to finasteride here in US or uk.one of my friend got it and remember its in capsule form I mean not like white tablet. Dark brownish maroon color.I will say medicine in india is like million times cheaper then as compare in us or uk. its my opinion.

Yeah I'm really worried about buying online, especially since I've read about people giving you fake pills and such. I noticed on another thread about a site called 4rx where you can get Dut online, it'll cost about 103 bucks in my countries currency which isn't that bad. Is that a reliable place to get it from? India will be a hard, my best bet is online unfortunately.

Doesn't DUT produce stronger side effects than Propecia?

I am interested in the drug, but heard the sides are stronger. Consult a doctor and do your research before starting.

Will definitely do some proper research before purchasing but I'd like to know if I can even get them.