Planning HT in January with Dr. Madhu

Hi All,

I am indian Male aged 29. I am planning to undergo HT with Dr.Madhu as he is recommended in this forum. I have been visting forum since 1 Year and it gave me good knowledge about HT. I did send an E-mail to Dr.Madhu with my photos and I got very quick reply saying i may need 2500-2800 grafts from seeing my photos. Can you guys please have a look at my album and please give your comments. Any replies much appreciated.

Photo Album

Jambalapamb,

Dr. Madhu has been showcasing very impressive results on this forum, has been prescreened by this community and approved for recommendation on the Hair Transplant Network. I trust you'll be in excellent hands.

By the photos you presented, it looks like you have a good amount of natural hair remaining with an advanced balding pattern forming. If you aren't on Propecia and Rogaine already, I strongly encourage you to consider using them to help stop future hair loss. Since your hair characteristics appear thick, I'd suggest you'd probably need approximately 3000 to 4000 grafts to achieve cosmetically significant coverage and density. Whether or not this can be achieved in one session will depend on your donor availability (scalp elasticity and donor hair density).

Best wishes for restoring your hair in 2010,

Bill

Hi thanks for your reply I am using minoxidil tropical solution 2%. I am planning to go 2500 grafts first and then seeing the results want to go for second HT if needed. One more question as I do have fair bit of original hair how much effect of shock loss is going to be on the original hair?. Is it good to undergo 3000 or more grafts in single session as there is chance for loosing my original existing hair which may lead for second HT.

Jambalapamb

From what I see from your pics, I think you should give minox and finasteride a try for atleast 1 year, see the results and then decide if you need a HT. If you have already done that, then it is important that you and Dr. Madhu should mutually agree on the number of sessions you may need. The doc will then extract grafts from the donor area in a way that there is a chance to extract more for future HTs but you should make sure the doc knows about your future plans.

You can stay on minox and finasteride to arrest future hair loss. Shock loss affects the original hair only temporarily. In my case, I never even had a shock loss. Undergoing a HT will not affect the original hair - you will shed your original hair only if it is genetically destined to fall off.

Good Luck

Hi Drmstx,

Can you please clarify why you think I should stay on minoxidil for 1 more year?. I have been using minoxidil since 5 years I got lazy for last 6 months and stopped using it but I started using it agian I wont stop it agian. But can you please elaborate why I do have to wait year I am confused. I have lost my hair rapidly in last 18 months. I still have hair but People can see bald patches thats the reason I wanted to undergo HT I have been reading this forums since 2 years and was hoping a doc from india to be recommended. The other reason I want to go undergo HT is its affecting my confidence high level. one more question I saw in one of the threads Dr.Humayun saying" if you had max of 2300 grafts in first surgery then expecting more grafts in second is impossible" so if I had more than 2500 grafts in first session will it be imposibbel to undergo second HT?. How much density can I achieve with 2800 grafts per sqcm?. Let me know if you have any advice about grafts to undergo or number of sessions. It will be great.This is the reason I posted thread well before I undergo HT to get valuabel suggestions.

Regards,

Anil

dear jam

as i can see from your photo the density of your hair is evenly reduced on the top.HT at this juncture may effect the existing hair(shock loss).in few cases this hair may not grow back.if it happens it will again give you patchy look.so i felt it will be better if you wait for your baldness to mature. i suggest you to use nanogen fibers (concealers) for attending functions/occasions.i am using nanogen and its good. for your hair pattern it will suit very much.

Anil

I thought you had recently noticed your hair loss and were worried. I did not realize that you have been on minoxidil for 5 years now. In your case, looks like the minoxidil did help in controlling your hair loss to an extend. So ignore my previous statement about being on minoxidil for at least a year before going for a HT.

Looking at your pics, I am pretty sure Dr. Madhu will be able to extract between 2800-3200 grafts from your donor area. My donor area was much thinner than yours and still the doc was able to extract 3000 grafts from it. All this of course varies from patient to patient and I am sure Dr. Madhu will do the best he can.

As for the number of grafts for a second session, I think what they are trying to say is that the doctors usually try to extract the optimal number of grafts in the first session. For example, if your first session itself yields only 2000 grafts, then the donor area cannot give any more than that in the second.

Hope this helps.

Drmstx

Thanks for clarifying the doubts. I am thinking about what subbu told earlier as I am have a good bit of native hair is it better to wait for 1 more year to mature balding? or is it better to go for HT now itself?. Let me know what you guys think .