Donor Scar Pus (5 weeks post op)

Hey guys, is it normal for my donor scar to be slightly oozing pus in a couple places (not much though) at 5 weeks post op? In general the scar looks pretty good...it's pretty small, just a little red and pus in some places. Could this be an infection or is it just the healing process at this stage? Thanks!

- 1 HT ~ 3000 grafts

- Regimen:

Propecia 1X daily

Hey guys, is it normal for my donor scar to be slightly oozing pus in a couple places (not much though) at 5 weeks post op? In general the scar looks pretty good...it's pretty small, just a little red and pus in some places. Could this be an infection or is it just the healing process at this stage? Thanks!

- 1 HT ~ 3000 grafts

- Regimen:

Propecia 1X daily

Sometimes when a wound is closed, there can be dirt or hair traped below the wound...the pus is probably the body's imune response to expell the foreign matter...I doubt it's an infection...I had similar issues with both my HT's...Usually its where the staples, sutures are placed. But if you want to be sure call your surgeon...Hope this helps.

Just a thought from the peanut gallery...

IF your doc used deep sutures, like we do, there is a race going on. Your body is trying to extrude them and at the same time dissolve them. I tell patients that about one in 30 of those deep sutures will be extruded. It usually goes un-noticed in hair work, but it quite noticable in face procedures, but its similar to what you describe.

A quick call to your doc will let you know. We would ask you to come in and we'll just remove that stitch which will take 10 seconds.

It is a "pain" to have these go on, but the improved scar is definitely worth that chance.

Dr. Lindsey McLean VA

William H. Lindsey, MD, FACS

McLean, VA

Dr. William Lindsey is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians