19 Years old. Whole top of the head is going bald

Go Boilers '84

Hey,

My name is Tim Schumm and I'm 19 years old goin on 20 in March. Right when i graduated high school about a year and a half ago now i started noticing some hair loss and immediately started up using nioxin shampoo. When i still kept losing hair i started up on propecia and have been on that a year now. My hair isn't thinning just in the front or on the top back or crown of my head. It seems like the whole top is goin all at once. My scalp is always itchy, other than about 12 hours after i shower. I dont' seem to fall under the male pattern baldness category. Or maybe i'm just reading the description wrong. The propecia seems to have done nothing and i don' tknow what to do. Any help or thoughts on why my whole top of my head is going?? Also, my scalp is pretty red too.

thanks

tim

Hey,

My name is Tim Schumm and I'm 19 years old goin on 20 in March. Right when i graduated high school about a year and a half ago now i started noticing some hair loss and immediately started up using nioxin shampoo. When i still kept losing hair i started up on propecia and have been on that a year now. My hair isn't thinning just in the front or on the top back or crown of my head. It seems like the whole top is goin all at once. My scalp is always itchy, other than about 12 hours after i shower. I dont' seem to fall under the male pattern baldness category. Or maybe i'm just reading the description wrong. The propecia seems to have done nothing and i don' tknow what to do. Any help or thoughts on why my whole top of my head is going?? Also, my scalp is pretty red too.

thanks

tim

don't panic, there is a good chance u can stop the progression. I didn't see how long you have been taking propecia, but some people won't see anything for more than a year, and if u don't see any regrowth what it does best is keep things at bay. As far as the redness goes you may have a buildup of something called sebum which is actually a fungus. Try t gel or nizoral shampoo a few times a week. Listen to the bald truth on sunday nights, educate yourself

Tim:

See a dermatologist FIRST. You may not be experiencing MPB, but maybe some other sort of skin condition or reaction.

I was losing hair for years, but my scalp was never red, dry, or itchy.

See the dermatologist. See what he/she says. After that, if it is MPB. Then we can talk about what can be done if Propecia is not helping.

Best of luck.

vocor1

Knowledge is Power

-- If the worst question is the one never asked, then the worst answer is the one never shared.

-- The truth only matters if you know about it.

Tim,

You are "thinning" rather than following the typical MPB (Norwood) scale. Same as me. In fact, I started at the same time as you - age 17 just after high school. I first realized it at college freshman year and freaked out. wore a hat every day that year. Very hard to come to grips with it at that young age. Especially b/c I was always known for having great hair in HS. Well, I am 34 now and most of my hair has gone. I never really followed the Norwood scale, just thinned all over, more in back, less in front. The advantage you have is propecia.....there was no such thing in 1988. Take it, stay on it, and never stop until something better comes along. Trust me - you dont want to see what your hair will look like with out it. I am a firm believer that there will be a solution to baldness before you ever get as far along as us "old men"

I feel your pain, man. Deal with it now - stay on the propecia.

BTW - I am assuming there is a family history of baldness and there is no medical reason for your hairloss.

Good luck!

http://www.hairlosshelp.com/websites/jcwhair/

JCW

I agree JCWhair.

I want to add two things:

1. Don't even consider HT work until you are at least 28 and your hair-loss may have stabled.

2. Don't check out Bosley or MHR for any reason. Their sales people have no problem suckering a young lad like you into a life time of surgical procedures that will never give you want you want.

thanks for all your help guys.

what do you think i should do then? stay on the propecia and keep using nioxin?? another thing i forgot to add is that everytime a hair falls out there's like a white hard ball at the end of it almost. and there's a bunch of those little balls or flakes or whatever they are throughout my hair. i thought they were dandruff or something.. what is that and how can i get rid of it? any ideas on my itching or redness of my scalp??

thanks again

You know what bro? I'm a little older than you, 21, and I'm having a similar problem, except no itchy scalp.

Stay on the Propecia I guess. But I am also going to see a dermatologist. Whenever a hair falls out, it seems to be where an "itchy" area is on my head... and there's a clump of white gunk at the end of it. I believe it is just shampoo scum. But you never know.

I've been on propecia over 7 months and it hasn't done a thing.