1,353 grafts into skin cancer scar Dr Cooley

This patient had a large, aggressive skin cancer removed from his right temple many years ago. This was repaired at the time with a split thickness skin graft from his arm. He had been to another clinic and received a hair transplant with poor results. We performed FUT of 1,353 grafts (1-366, 2-653, 3-334; total hairs = 2,674). He is shown 8 months later. The hair is till growing in and the appearance will continue to improve for the next 6 months.

There is not only good growth of the grafts but a noticeable improvement in the texture and appearance of the underlying skin. Part of this just from the grafts, but I also believe it is from the use of ACell to coat the grafts. ACell has the ability to help prevent scarring and also improve existing scar tissue.

1.jpg.65c3cb1aa44aaa4942adf6008b2ca26d.jpg

2.jpg.6be20d97f6010b0d4fa3e86daa33a00f.jpg

3.jpg.3fdeb23f9d0cb7c31caa199bfa5f1729.jpg

4.jpg.67d42a978062867d939c2514247db2b8.jpg

5.jpg.392be55a7b17473fe4a8fc8994b635cb.jpg

6.jpg.698dd08cbe14802abd54dd65964d87e5.jpg

That looks great for this guy. Good job. It would be interesting to see an strip scar that receives FUE repair and 1/2 with and 1/2 without ACell.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

That looks great for this guy. Good job. It would be interesting to see an strip scar that receives FUE repair and 1/2 with and 1/2 without ACell.

Spanker

I suspect it would depend on the strip scar itself. Fairly narrow and typical scars may not show much visible difference. I think the wider and all around uglier the scar, the more the benefits of ACell would become apparent. It also would depend on proper use of the ACell. Some docs who claimed it didn't do anything weren't using it properly. You have to ensure that a sufficient amount of ACell particles are adhering to the graft and place these into slightly bigger sites to allow the particles to remain attached to the graft.

Dr Cooley

Is ACell or something similar offered in a liquid form yet? As far as strip scars, and I think it was you that wrote it, found that it did not improve the look of a strip scar but did improve the feel of it, making it softer (which I think is a benefit. I wonder if those softer scars are more vascular, therefore may allow a higher percent of grafts "take" in the scar at a later date? I am just thinking out loud.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

Is ACell or something similar offered in a liquid form yet? As far as strip scars, and I think it was you that wrote it, found that it did not improve the look of a strip scar but did improve the feel of it, making it softer (which I think is a benefit. I wonder if those softer scars are more vascular, therefore may allow a higher percent of grafts "take" in the scar at a later date? I am just thinking out loud.

Spanker

ACell comes only as a powder or sheet; saline can be added to the powder to make a suspension (it does not go into solution). You're right about ACell scars being softer, more vascular. In my opinion, it would help with future grafting.

Thanks for your comments

Dr Cooley

Great case! Thank you for sharing.

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.