Do grafts grow a little bit before shedding post op?

I had a HT week ago and when I took a macro picture today I noticed the hair is significantly longer than 1 week ago.

I thought all or majority of transplanted hair stopped growing immediately after being transplanted and would then shed and return in 3 months time.

I know they don't shed until a couple of weeks but I thought they wouldn't grow at all in their new site until next cycle.

Baldie,

Good question. Yes some of the grafts do remain in the anagen growing phase post-op and continue to grow in length. A higher percent of the grafts will go dormant post-op and shed. They rest for 3-4 months and begin to grow again.

Best wishes to you on your regrowth! ;)

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

I think it is quite common for grafts to grow a little after implantation, and it is actually a really good sign that they have reached a vascular stage. However, this does not mean that the trauma will still not cause them to shed within the first month or two, but, again, I think it is a good sign.

1978Matt had some growth in his transplant as well after a few days.

Good luck and grow well!

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

Thanks for your responses.

As opposed to most other people on this forum I actually want them to shed as quickly as possible. I don't want them to just continue growing.

It just looks unnatural right now (ugly duckling) and doesn't flow with the rest of my hair.

I'd like them all to shed and then grow out thin to begin with and thicken...that should make the transition from bald to hair much better.

I agree with the above posters, seems they do grow a little but after 2 weeks expect most of them to start to shed. Especially around 2 1/2 weeks is when I noticed it.

Some will stay and continue to grow and lets hope these are in the hairline area.

I am also one who likes to hope that the sooner they shed the sooner they will grow back permanently

(wishing thinking perhaps).

go dense or go home

Unbiased advice and opinions based on 25 plus years of researching and actual experience with hair loss, hair restoration via both FUT & FUE, SMP, scalp issues including scalp eczema & seborrheic dermatitis and many others

HSRP10's favorite FUT surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr Hasson, Dr. Rahal

HSRP10's favorite FUE surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr. Bisanga, Dr. Erdogan, Dr. Couto

(*indicates actual experience with doctor)

All of the transplanted hairs that shed after more than 3 weeks seem to have a kink at the end.

shed-with-kink.jpg.6a392c7fa18816f6be810451caba25db.jpg

go dense or go home

Unbiased advice and opinions based on 25 plus years of researching and actual experience with hair loss, hair restoration via both FUT & FUE, SMP, scalp issues including scalp eczema & seborrheic dermatitis and many others

HSRP10's favorite FUT surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr Hasson, Dr. Rahal

HSRP10's favorite FUE surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr. Bisanga, Dr. Erdogan, Dr. Couto

(*indicates actual experience with doctor)