Hair loss (could diet be a factor?)

Today my girlfriend told me that she had read an article in some medical magazine (I don't know which one unfortunately) that a bad diet could contribute to hair loss. I personally would find such a claim to be a bit far fetched, and would assume that it must be the opinion of the doctor (or a very small group of doctors) who wrote the article (as we all know that hair loss is predetermined by your genes). But I would be interested to know if there is any truth to the claim. Like could a bad diet perhaps quicken up the predetermined hair loss? Really sorry I don't have more information ie: the name of the magazine or the name of the doctor(s) who wrote it. But I would like to hear peoples opinion on it.

Thanks

I think that the only way diet could affect your hair enough to where you see a visible difference is if you were so malnourished that you had distention. Only then would you start to see hair loss but it would be in patches, not in a traditional pattern of loss.

I think if you had a steady diet of Ho-hos and nothing else you'd still not see any effect on your hair.

The Truth is in The Results

Dr. Victor Hasson and Dr. Jerry Wong are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

Thanks for that Jotronic, I thought as much to be honest. Maybe my girlfriend was just trying to scare me into giving up junk food and losing some weight icon_biggrin.gif

But still, no harm in making sure I suppose, even if deep down you know that a certain claim is highly unlikely (or even bordering on ridiculous).

I can say with a high degree of confidence that I was raised on a much better diet than most people. I am lucky to have a mom who has always been health conscious, and at 72 still works out 3x a week with dumbells, and walks 3 miles a day about 5x per week. My father's favorite hobby has always been gardening - and he always has/had the best one around. Usually we had three or four vegetables per meal. And I was allowed red meat about once every two weeks.

Growing up I never took medicines very much at all, sat down nightly to fresh fruits and vegetables and awoke in the morning to oatmeal, fruit and cereal. In fact, until I met my wife and we were married for some time I would still take a half an aspirin if I ever had a headache or some illness.

Yet I started balding at 21.

My brother in law, the victim of a disfunctional family where his mom left to marry her boss; ate spaghetti for breakfast, candy bars for lunch and bacon for dinner his whole childhood and youth still has a head full of hair. And has only ever had 2 cavities.

Go figure.

100? 'mini' grapfts by Latham's Hair Clinic - 1991 (Removed 50 plugs by Cooley 3/08.)

2750 FU 3/20/08 by Dr. Cooley

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Cooley

Current regimen:

1.66 mg Proscar M-W-F

Rogaine 5% Foam - every now and then

AndroGel - once daily

Lipitor - 5 mg every other day

Weightlifting - 2x per week

Jogging - 3x per week

GTDL,

Though there is no relationship between genetic female or male pattern baldness and diet, extreme malnutrition can cause a temporary non-genetic diffuse hair loss (telogen effluvium). But this is rare and only usually occurs if your body is malnourished and doesn't get any of the nutrients it requires. Even though eating too much junk food isn't good for you, even foods that are bad for you typically contain many of the nutrients your body needs.

For your own health, I'd suggest minimizing the amount of junk food you eat however, unless you deprive your body of the nutrients it needs to survive, your hair won't be affected.

I hope this helps.

Bill

About 20 years ago I tried an extreme lo-fat diet and experienced hair loss. This may be anecdotal, but it was the only change I made during this period. When I resumed normal eating the hair loss stopped.

"Imagination frames events unknown in wild fantastic shapes of hideous ruin, and what it fears, creates." Hannah More