which method is better? Strip+FUE combo or a 3rd Strip scar+later Scar revision?

I've had 2 small strip procedures in the past by poor clinics resulting in 2 average scars very close together.(first procedure 10 years ago,second procedure 5 years ago)

for my next surgery I need between 3000-3500 grafts to cover frontal third/and thickening my hairline and I've been told I have good donor hair.

I've been doing scalp laxity exercise for over a year!

so I've had consultation with 4 top clinics,and they all recommended about the same number of grafts,but most of them want to remove the old scars with the new strip,problem is this way I might not get the required 3000-3500 grafts.

the clinic that I'm considering at the moment offered me two options:

1-remove a new strip above the current scars in order to achieve 3000-3500 grafts and do a free scar revision after a year so that I will have only one scar.

2-do a strip+FUE combo : old scars will be removed with the new strip and the rest of the necessary grafts (probably around 1000-1500) will be extracted by FUE on the same day.

so which option would be better ?

these pictures were taken recently by one of the clinics showing current scars.

rsz_dsc_0032.jpg.54f3d3e145df962acbfce92518b828b0.jpg

rsz_dsc_0035.jpg.b705e9565a2d341895de8a04895b3ffa.jpg

That's pretty good options either way. I think it comes down to whether or not you think you will need more procedures after this and whether or not you want to finish it in one pass or go through two procedures. If it was me I would opt for taking care of it in one sitting.

I don't think that I would opt for a 3rd scar. There is no guarantee that they will be able to turn 3 into 1, that is kind of unusual.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

I want to finish the hairline/frontal third in one go.the clinic says it's achievable.but I'm not sure personally as I keep reading the size/number of grafts in a strip can only be known during surgery and not even during in person consults.

on the other hand,I wanted too keep FUE for future when I need some crown work and fear if I opt for option 2,I use some FUEs unnecessarily.also the second option is more expensive.

Spanker,

why do you think revising 3 average ,closed together scars is unusual and complex? it would be a thin strip of maybe 5-7 mm wide,once removed there will be only one scar? there is no reason they wont be able to turn it into one, unless the third scar is huge and laxity does not allow all of that taken out?

but I hate the idea of going through a third scar and getting cut open again in a year for revision.

I read that a doctor on here said that he had never seen 3 scars turned into one. I don't remember the thread though.

But, say your scars were an almost perfect 2 millimeters, and you had a millimeter in between each one, which again would be perfect. That is still 8 millimeters, and then you have to consider that you probably do not fall into this perfect category. And, then, on top of that, you have to consider that you will likely be pulling out another centimeter or more to get your 3000 to 3500 grafts.

I am not saying it is impossible, just that I think that it is pretty unlikely.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

I read that a doctor on here said that he had never seen 3 scars turned into one. I don't remember the thread though.

I think it may have been Dr. Beehner.

Alix if you don't mind sharing the name of the doctor it might help determine if they are blowing smoke. But I didn't think about what spanker said, but usually most people don't have the laxity to turn 3 scars into 1.

it's Feriduni.

I know the tread Spanker is talking about..made me think about the whole thing again,but my main concern is getting the necessary number of grafts in one procedure,my current scars are completely hidden.

Hi so far I have had 2 free consultations 1 with a university of penn physician and the other with a dr using the neo graft. Seems like the new graft is more modern, ls less invasive, fewer side effects etc, but about twice the cost.

For my crown 5000 as opposed to 10000, approximately. Out of my comfort range.

still looking

Hi,

I've undergone 2 strip procedures by a sh*t doctor... anyways being a norwood 2/3, i just need some work on the hairline which is not very natural... a few people have noticed something "funny" in the right light.

I'm interested in Dr Umar's procedure (feu/fue... something like that), mainly because i've got a lot of body hair and if what his site claims is true then i can cover up my strip scar aswell using BHT (body hair transplant).

Are there any of Dr Umar's patients who are proud of their results and would like to show me? I am in South Africa. (Also would like to hear from unhappy patients?)

Also any other doctors that have a similar methodology that you can recommend?

I'm looking worldwide hey... South African doctor's don't seem to know what they are doing.

Thanks,

Also. how do i create a new post?

Strip revision might make the scar even worse... I only have one strip scar and I opted out of a revision due to my physiology. It really is a gamble. You have great donor density man, it also looks like your hair calibre is quite thick. Perhaps consider FUE to fill in the scars are a decent density just so you can cut your hair shorter? If you must choose an option I would not recommend the first one... Use FUE to obtain 1,500 grafts and whatever else you can get from the strip, but at least the width of the strip would not be as wide as the first option. thinner the strip the more chance of a slim scar.

I always keep my hair at medium length because short hair doesn't suit me,and the shortest I cut the back is around 1.5 inches at that length current scars are completely hidden.so there is no reason for me to waste grafts/money on FUE(ing) grafts in the scars..

but yes,I'm worry about the new scar getting wider after taking another strip and a revision.

the FUE+Strip combo is the safer option but problem is I always wanted to keep FUE for future crown work,and I feel by using some FUE now,I'll compromise my FUE donor unnecessarily..

also the cost of FUE+Strip procedure will be considerably higher than Strip+later scar revision.