Early signs of hairloss, Need opinions.

Hey Guys,

I`m 21 and recently started to take notice in my hairline. Ive always had medium-long, slightly thick hair and for the past 6 years or so have had a hairstyle that has completely covered up my forehead. I started to notice that my hair felt weak and thin, I also noticed I could see my scalp at the front. The sides also have gone back. Its become an issue as I`m constantly checking it and feel depressed and embarrassed. I would really appreciate some opinions, Thanks.

WP_000341.jpg.4e3518b72ea2765fdf9eb5bbe29aa501.jpg

Based on that picture, in my honest opinion your hair looks pretty dang good. There looks to be some minimal recession at the temples, but again minimal.... nothing unexpected. But you're still young, so things could definitely change. If you have any good before photos when you were a teenager that might help.

There are probably people who have seen your hair and are envious :)

The good news is if you are loosing your hair you have caught it early. There are very few treatments to regrow hair, but finasteride and minoxidil do a great job of maintain the hair you have. My advice would be to give finasteride and minox a try.

Part of what you are experiencing is simply the normal transition from a juvenile hairline to an adult hairline. It's nothing to be ashamed of. See your doctor about preventative measures just in case.

The Truth is in The Results

Dr. Victor Hasson and Dr. Jerry Wong are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

Thanks so much guys for the replies, really appreciate it!! Rootz, thanks and yes, I`ve noticed the sides going back. That`s the problem, I`m 21 and already noticing it, my hair just feels so weak and thin now. What do you mean "unexpected"?. I shall try to get a photo of years ago, I think I may have always had a v shaped hairline but not this far back. Greatjob, are those treatments expensive?? And are the regrowth treatments expensive? Jotronic, just how does the mature/adult hairline develop, do the sides recede during the transition? As I said, My scalp is visible though the front and there is a general lifelessness to the hair. Thanks guys

Keep in mind that there is no scientifically supported claims that minoxidil works for your hairline or on your temples. As it looks, you don't show signs of recession, so minoxidil may not be a great drug for you to use. If you're worried about further recessions, finasteride may help. I wouldn't even think about getting a hair transplant at this moment if I were you; I would wait a few years for sure to see if you can stabilize hair loss before you even put a hair transplant on your mind.

My Hair Loss Website

Surgical Treatments:

Hair transplant 5-22-2013 with Dr. Paul Shapiro at Shapiro Medical Group

Total grafts transplanted: 3222

*536 singles *1651 doubles * 961 triples,

*74 quadruples.

Total hairs transplanted: 7017

Non-Surgical Treatments:

*1.25 mg finasteride daily

*Generic minoxidil foam 2x daily

Paul when I said "unexpected" I mean it is very rare when getting older that one's hairline doesn't mature with the temples receding a bit. So the bad news is your hair isn't 100% perfect. The good news, practically no ones is, and your hair looks solid. You definitely don't look like you're going bald at all. But keep an eye on it, because hairloss is unpredictable. Maybe take a picture in the same lightning/angles every few months and continue to track what's going on.

Hey Nick, You`re saying you don`t see any recessions?? Do the temples recede when your hairline matures cause I feel like it is receding. Does finasteride just maintain the hair you have?? Thanks

Ohh there is without doubt recession. However, as previously noted, and to answer your question, the temples are the firs thing to go in a mature hairline, however, it doesn't mean that you will lose a lot of hair For your case, it's difficult to tell whether or not you are just maturing, or in fact losing hair. What is your family history like (although this may be a misleading parameter).

My Hair Loss Website

Surgical Treatments:

*74 quadruples.

Non-Surgical Treatments:

Keep in mind that there is no scientifically supported claims that minoxidil works for your hairline or on your temples.

The reason minoxidil does not claim to regrow hair anywhere but the crown is because that is the only area treated during the fda clinical trials, so leagally they cannot claim anything else. I have seen pretty good regrowth at my temple points with minox. Finasteride is going to regrow hair in a very select few patients it is more effective as a stabilization treatment and minox is a growth stimulator, used together you can experience a synergistic effect.

Greatjob, are those treatments expensive?? And are the regrowth treatments expensive?

You can get proscar 5mg which is the same active ingriedient as propecia and cut it into 1/4's. Name brand proscar should be somewhere around $70-$160 for a 4 month supply. And generic proscar at walmart is $9 for a 4 month supply. I'm not sure where you live but I get generic minoxidl foam from costco for I think like $60-$70 for a 6 month supply.

I feel for you brotha, I started losing my hair right after puberty and by your age I was way worse off, so be happy you are being proactive and catching it early. I wouldn't hold out much hope of regrowth but if you respond to medical treatment you will be in good shape at the very least maintaining your hair for a long period of time

Cheers guys! Rootz, thank you , I appreciate it and I`ll do that. Nick, Do you lose much hair when your hairline is maturing cause the temples have definitely gone back but the front part of my hair feels weak and floppy so styling it with gel doesn't really work anymore. Its so hard to tell what the case is. I should also note that I pick at my hair alot as I`m constantly brushing it to the side with my fingers, don`t know if that could be a problem. As for my family, there is an abundance of hairloss on both sides of the family but my dad has a full head of hair at age 65. Cheers greatjob, doesn't seem too expensive. Yeah, I`m aware of that but its just scary when you notice it happening at a young age, I can`t seem to concentrate on anything else and it`s bringing my mood down. Out of curiosity, How good can hair transplants be? Cheers again guys!

Hair transplants can be very effective with an appropriate candidate, however, any respectable surgeon would not consider you to be a candidate yet. You are far too young with minimal loss, and it's hard to predict where you will end up in the future. They will most likely put you on meds and probably minoxidil in order to stabilize your hair loss and build a foundation for potential treatment in the future.

If you want examples of hair transplants on this site, there is no lack of examples. There are exmples of people with your degree of hair loss and people who have lost all of their hair who have been restored. A great example was recently posted by a Spanish doctor named Dr. Lorenzo who has been pushing great results with his FUE mastery. Check it out: http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/171121-dr-jose-lorenzo-9999-fug.html

My Hair Loss Website

Surgical Treatments:

*74 quadruples.

Non-Surgical Treatments:

If it makes you feel any better about your hair loss, I was MUCH worse off than you by the time I was 18-19 years old. I would have killed for your hair at that age.

My Hair Loss Website

Surgical Treatments:

*74 quadruples.

Non-Surgical Treatments:

Every area of a juvenile hairline can pull back as we age. Perfectly normal.

From the photo, it's too hard to tell if you have the early signs of MPB. Before you get on any hairloss meds, get examined by a reputable HT doctor and get a "formal diagnosis" as we are only lay people here.

A doctor can then inform you of all medicinal options and you definitely do not need any HT procedure at the present time IMHO.

In fact, the risk of losing more hair from shockloss IMHO outweighs the potential gains that you would make in HT surgery.

And using minoxidil initially in the frontal zone can potentially induce shedding and cause the area to look thinner.

Some things to consider.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY